Black Sports : Hopkins vs Taylor

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by oceolo, Jul 14, 2005.

1. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Bernard Hopkins vs Jermain Taylor will take place on Saturday night on PPV. I think that Hopkins will taste defeat for the first time since he fought Roy Jones in 1993.
    I think Taylor is just too fast and too strong for an aging Hopkins . Taylor by unanimous decision

2. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Hopkins by decision.

3. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    I wouldnt be shocked if Hopkins won by decision but age eventually catches up to everyone and Hopkins is 40 years old so he may not be the same fighter he was since his last fight.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    My major concern is being able to pay for this fight. You live in NYC right oceolo? I might have to come over your house and watch it.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Wow, there has been no activity in this thread...I think I scared Oceolo away by suggesting I was going to come over to his place. LOL! Don't worry Oceolo, I was just kidding! Here are some pics of the weigh in for Hopkins-Taylor if anyone is interested:

http://www.ufcfightnews.com/nextweighin.html

6. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace,

Hopkins in 8..........taylor too fast, but Hopkins to smart!!!! It's almost impossible to get to his chin & he stalks you like lion in the jungle and can smell when you start to get weary or frustrated. THis is when he starts his assault.

Now given the arrogance of Taylor, I say he gets weary around the 6th and it takes 2 rounds for Hopkins to finish him off..........

peace

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Arrogant is the last word I'd use to describe Jermaine Taylor, indeed he is quite humble (very hard to dislike or cheer against him). In fact I'm kind of sad this fight is happening in a way, because I don't want to see either of these guys lose. As far as in the ring, Taylor is a smart fighter in his own right...he usually feels his opponent out, then increases the pressure when he sees an opening. I've watched Jermaine's entire career (since his pro-debut), and I've never seen him be reckless in the ring.

Taylor is being promoted as the younger, faster, and stronger fighter. He is certainly younger and definately faster...however I don't know if he is stronger than Hopkins. I also don't think he hits as hard as people believe. His best bet to win this fight is to keep his left jab in Bernard's face, and make Hopkins work more than he wants to. If Hopkins is able to negate Taylor's jab....he is in for a long night!

8. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Right back to the basics, huh Pan? My coach/trainer has been saying the same thing if you just keep that jab in your opponents face you have the fight won 9 times out of 10 and hes also the younger fighter so it would be good if he makes Hopkins old muscles work by keeping him at a distance.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    The jab is the most useful punch in boxing....properly used it is both an offensive & definsive weapon. The jab can either set up other punches, or keep your opponent at a distance. For such an important weapon, it is puzzling that so many boxers rarely use their jabs. I've seen boxers like Ike Quartey & Larry Holmes win titles with just their jab alone.

10. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah one of the professionals that work at the gym with me told me alot of times if you have a good jab you can beat him with just one hand alone. Some fighters get so wrapped up into displaying their power with hooks and uppercuts I guess that forget this.