Black Relationships : Homosexuality: A double standard

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by Emeka, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Emeka

Emeka Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Has anyone actually noticed that there is a double standard in society between female and male homosexuality. While it is ok for women to kiss each other and flaunt their homosexuality, men who do so still face ostratization from society. Many women can come out and say that they've "tried" another women without facing much ridicule in society. I'm not saying that homosexual women don't recieve friction in society; but you have to admit that society is more accepting of lesbians than gays. If anyman even so much as look at another man in anyway not deemed "appropriate" for men in society, then that guy better find new friends quick and hope he lives in VERY big city!

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Given the society that we live in (speaking of the U.S.), why should this surprise you?

3. Emeka

Emeka Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by your statement. I'm very suprised by this double standard. Because you get women who admit to being with other women but say that two men together is disgusting. Whilst you have men who are aroused by two women performing homosexual acts but think two men doing the same is unacceptable. Why?

4. yaphet al-wynn

yaphet al-wynn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Speak for yourself. Personally-I don't want to see either. Just to keep it consistent-don't too much want to SEE heterosexual couples do things going overboard in public, better suited in private. But you do have a point.

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Why is it distasteful for people to show affection in public or does this only apply to homosexuals?

Chukwuemeka, what you refer to as a 'double standard' might only be personal preferences.

My question as to why your descriptive behavior should surprise you was because people tend to be fickle about a lot of things so why should this be any different?

6. Nia Maishani

Nia Maishani Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business Owner
    Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree that there is probably a double standard. If I venture to guess why this is, I'd guess thi way:

Try to imagine (if you've never seen) a same sex couple copulating. Two women together seems baffling, awkward, and even repulsive, but two men??? That seems downright scary. There is something not only sickening in a vile, repulsive, dirty sort of way, but it is just a horrifying thought. The male-male thing seems much more perverse. Much more abominable. Not that the female-female isn't perverse, but man-on-man seems beastly.

7. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    Watch the Olympics. Men from other countries kiss each other on the cheek and sometimes on the lips as a congratulations. In this country, men slap each other on the back or the shoulder, exclaim cuss words at each other as a greeting, sign of affection or kudo. There is some American cultural stigma about men showing affection to one another, which is why the thought of two men together seems stranger to some than two women. People are used to seeing women hug and kiss.

8. 2/11

2/11 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone noticed the double standard in television in regaurd to homosexuality?....example are the two shows on showtime Queer as Folk and The L Word......two totally different shows....The ladder is extremely sexually oriented and the other is a bit more tame. Queer as Folk has only a few female characters (two of them are lesbians and in relationships with each other). The L Word however has had several male characters and tho they may not have staple roles in the show they are difeinitaly not gay but actually either the husband the boyfriend or some other straight male thrown into the plot....is this because men are supposedly more sexual and women more emotional?....if so also take a look at the shows they allow on regular television....there are no lesbian shows to my knowledge but there are more than a handful of gay (male) shows...

It may seem harder to digest the thought of two men having sex, but it seems the thought of two women being in a relationship with no male inffluence is even more distasteful to our society.

or maybe i'm reading into it.....ur thoughts?