Black Education / Schools : Homeschooling, Charter Schools, or advocacy for Decentralized Public Schools?

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Alarm Clock, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    beth14b.jpg
    Education is nothing to play with! Neither is voting, banking, and keeping a roof over ones head
    [​IMG]
    But looking at the history of Africans here in America, there were generations of young Blacks who battled for better living conditions, better mortgages, Voting rights, Black owned banks, to stay established and better education by decentralizing centralized education!

Now in this generation and in this period of the history of Africans in America, White Supremacy has enboldened itself, with the feeling and notion, that the national Black community has become complacent, seperatist among each other, and lacking of focus, so they pull all kinds of crap,

SHAKUR No 2 5.11.13.jpg malcolm-shabazz_240x340_59.jpg
    demonizing Assata Shakur, assasinating Malcolm Shabbazz, shutting down schools, allowing illegal subprime mortgages that targeted the Black community to continue, and the bailing out of every darn bank except Black banks!
    [​IMG]
    One after another things Africans have battled and died for not just the civil rights movement but the Black Power movement as well are chipped away,
    to create a Black community not of a united people but of a few well off who now seek an elitism,
    which says to hell with the general community, cause "I got mine"

A concept as Marimba Ani stated of the Eurocentric ideology, not the African!

Lets be clear homeschooling has shown to be succesfull in creating real high achievers in some instances,
    http://www.salon.com/2012/03/15/homeschooled_and_illiterate/
    but what are the requirements for homeschooling?
    When most Black parents are working two jobs, and 70% of Black unemployed never went to college and may need remedial assistance to enter; who has the time? or the educational acumen
    other then a chosen few

Here in NYC the jive lottery selection system for charter schools, has pit parent against parent, in each councilmatic district scrambling desperately against each other for a few chosen slots that can only educate 8% of that communities children
    Only 8 percent! Kinda like a colonization of the community, divide and conquer, with an elite group of chosen few that get in
    and mind you with mixed results, in regards to grades
    So what is the real solution for the greater grassroots community? This question has been answered for the past 100 years every 20 years! we create our own Black private schools , with a system of collective economics, to pay for them, so there would never ever be the high tuition fees of today's private schools!

Even the best African centered private schools have tuitions far beyond the means of the average sister and brother in the present declining economy, so the concept of our own school systems would first require a national system of Black collective economics, something we more then likely will not even be focused on as a race until the next 15 to 20 years!

So in the mean time, in between time, Black parents will really need to unite, in some way or form in each state each city and each Black community, to be dligent, focused and demanding for the decentralization of the centralized public school boards and greater input in the community based control of the schools in their district

I worked for 7 years in office as well as in the field from the , then NYC Board of Education, and have seen 3 chancelors come and go but have also seen the results of the advocacy of Black parents in the 60s, for decentralization,

http://whospeaks.library.vanderbilt.edu/interview/milton-galamison
    still effective in public schools in Bed Stuy and Brownsville.
    [​IMG]

Frank Mickens was not alone, there were many sisters and brothers just like him, principals and assistant principals, who made sure the Black youth in their schools not only got high grades but enrichment of Black history, and Black business and cultural speakers, introduced to the student body on the reg

2. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    We could have created a National Recommended Reading List for Black kids decades ago. But everybody believes in SCHOOL.

But now we have tablet computers. 30,000 books can fit in a pocket.

But the problem is still largely the same. WHICH BOOKS? The vast majority of books are CRAP!

Black Man's Burden (1961) by Mack Reynolds
    http://sfgospel.typepad.com/sf_gospel/2008/08/mack-reynolds-on-africa-islam-utopia-and-progress.html
    http://www.feedbooks.com/book/4826/black-man-s-burden

But I confess I don't know what it is like being a kid today. The information and horsesh!t overload must be incredible. I remember what it was like trying to figure out Vietnam. Honkys talking BS left and right and most Black people saying nothing.

3. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Well for me in NY it was a bit dif, in the 60s. You could not go into "The Village" without seeing 4 story buidlings with peace signs painted on them or , hear folks music about peace in Prospect park or Central park.
    We had advocacy as stated back then and as you see ion that video with Malcolm the parents were not complacent! All of this degrading of the school system happened during the crack epidemic! In the 90s I had spoken to teachers, after I had left the board, and I asked what was the problem, they told me that over a third of the parents where on crack, now that has cleared up obviously but it leaves a real dirth in any desire for activism, among this hip hop generation!

Just look at your point Umbachrist, about book lists!

These youth today have the wisdom and knowledge of over 3 thousand years of Black scholars, freedom fighters, leaders, and inventors at the touch of a button, 24/7

[​IMG]
    Stuff you and I would have to spend months, back in the 60s and 70s, not in the circulation section of the cites best library but in the reference desk to get, and still have no knowledge of self

The concept of home schooling or home curriculum enrichment or home tutoring has fallen on a complacent generation of Black techies, lets face it one would assume that there would be over 50 for each state, and 70 websites, that the average parent with a HS diploma or not could understand, 70 websites in 12 languages for use of Black parents on 4 continents by now!

4. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    I confess I do not care much about 3,000 year old knowledge. The state of the world today is the result of what has happened in the last 200 years. The world population has doubled since the 60s. The population did not hit 4 billion until 1974.

The funny thing about the story Black Man's Burden is that Malcolm X and Martin Luther King both could have read it. But how different is it from anything they would have said. Science fiction is future oriented. Today's kids are in the future of the 60s. But that story does not have pocket computers. Sci-fi writers always get details wrong. But they do encourage future think.

What would the present be like if Malcolm X and Martin Luther King had both promoted mandatory accounting for Black kids. Would we have all of these foreclosures? But that is another curious thing. Look it up on the net and the White folks say double-entry accounting was invented in Italy 700 years ago. But in the last 50 years what Western countries have suggested it be mandatory in their schools? So what is really going on?

Are the lower classes supposed to be kept properly ignorant regardless of race? So do we just need the right Apps and books?

EveryCircuit by Igor Vytyaz
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.everycircuit&hl=en

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics (2006) by Stan Gibilisco
    http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/book-reviews/teach-yourself-electricity-and-electronics.htm

The Screwing of the Average Man (1974) by David Hapgood

The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh From the Lemonade Stand
    http://www.exceltip.com/book-1570713960.html
    http://www.fool.com/personal-financ...-book-review-quotthe-accounting-gamequot.aspx

I think letting White folks tell us what education is, is really dumb. But not knowing technology is even worse.

5. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Well see this is my point!

We did have accounting 3000 years ago!

The Chinese ascend by adopting and using the ancient, even Mao did that inspite of what some may say!

For instance according to the naraatives of Africans kidnapped here and, freedom purchased by Quakers,
    they state that 500 years ago we did have mandatory five year old to sixteen year old education in Western Africa and that there was a peer pressure towards excellence in education like there is a peer pressure to sagging pants!

What did Dr Clarke say?
    “History is a clock that people use to tell there political and cultural time of day. It is also a compass that people use to find themselves on the map of human geography. History tells a people where they have been and what they have been, where they are and what they are. Most important, history tells a people where they still must go, what they still must be. The relationship of history to the people is the same as the relationship of a mother to her child.”

6. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    We did have accounting 3000 years ago!

I did not say accounting was not more than 700 years old. I said DOUBLE-ENTRY accounting was 700 years old. The DOUBLE-ENTRY is really just an error checking system. But who does not use that method today?

It can't be too complicated if it is 700 years old though so why hasn't it been required in school? Are the schools designed to produce workers who then do not know what to do with their money?

7. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    My brother this is my point, look at our history!
    Black Wall street did not come out of Aladdin's lamp!

8. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    When Black parents stopped advocacy, and making united demands , it was like owning a home and not doing monthly pest control!

That is when (early 90s) they took, art, music, shop, home eco, science labs and economics and civics out of the JHS public school curriculums!

A thief waits till folks are asleep before he tries to rob their home!

9. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Without pushing out too much energy, I would be for considering the creation of a Homeschooling Fund/Foundation in where those that desire to put into it, are also those that check the progress of the children that are enrolled as well.

They have "Feed the Children"... why not have "Feed the Minds"?

The fund would go towards creative a substantial living condition for the parent(s) where they can afford the time to train their young minds into adulthood.

Again, just a side thought.

Respect