Homeless BROTHERS in the NATION keeps GROWING

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by dustyelbow, Mar 19, 2007.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Black men comprise large percentage of nearly 800,000 homeless in America

That's the NATION at WORK...

RUTHLESS WHITES intentions have BREAK the BARRIER our ANCESTORS created in RESPONSE for SUCH

I really HOPE our YOUNG BLACK MALES pay ATTENTION and respond with COURAGE for the SAKE of the COMMUNITY

Because the way things APPEAR you are NEXT to MAKE this CONTINUE to GROW once you leave PRISON...

I would not be SUPRISED that those HOMELESS PEOPLE who FIGHT BACK are DISCREDITED by being perceived as MENTAL DERANGED...by US in the COMMUNITY and GREATER SOCIETY

But I talk MYSTERIES...

Oh well.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    so true and we need a solution to bring these numbers down ...it's sad
    and deeply felt that such poverty has take so many from homes to boxes

3. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    good 2 c this issue raised again - thanx 4 that.

this issue has also reared up 4 attention n brother chat recently. this population, along w our prison population, r the 2 groups closest 2 my heart. recently, i began a relationship w 2 organizations both of which hv meaningful interaction w both groups. un4tunately, from my perspective, both of them r faith based.

1. greater birmingham ministries; & 2. church of the reconciler

nevertheless, we r attempting to set asside our philosophical differences & work 2gether to render som aid 2 both groups.

so far, this has resulted in a food dispensery program, 3 clothing drives & the distribution of these clothes; & an initiative pilot program to involve interested communities in a program of rennovation of abandoned/derilict houses to provide permanent housing from select, screened, drug-free candidates, provided they meet the requirements & sta clean. there is a gr8 deal mor need presented on a daily basis, but we believe we r making a small dent.

current estimates n the city where i liv run b/t 600 - over 1,000 considered chronically homeless right now.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I can't agree more as likewise in the city of CHICAGO our Homeless rate
    is sky rocketing beyond belief with so little support and hope, yearly i have
    played a role in many Drives for warm shelter / blankets / shoes / food i know
    every little helps but we are falling short to meeting the needs

I wonder if we can have a Driver from our online community right here
    to send can goods / whatever to help some of these homeless brothers & sistas
    help lift them up again back on there feet and maybe just maybe they will strive
    again to re-enter in a home stad ........There is hope and a way once a solution
    is reached !

5. mrron

mrron Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    This issue of homelessness is tied to many of the other problems that plague the black community, starting with the lack of the black family structure. When I grew up during the fifties and sixties, i never knew of anyone who had to live on the street's regardless of their circumstances. They could be alcoholic or mentally ill, but someone would take them in. There were probably a few who slept in abandoned buildings, but most families would be embarrassed to know that they had a homeless relative somewhere, and simply wouldn't allow it to happen.

So the question becomes, what has happened since then? Firstly, the family structure doesn't even exist for many of these people today, which is why they ended up on the road to "skid row". Many of these people are actually employed but cannot afford to pay full rent for a place of their own. As a landlord, I am constantly struggling with this issue. I have to be very lenient with people to keep from putting children on the street. But I too have my limits, because I have to at least cover my expenses. The IRS doesn't allow landlords to deduct expenses unless they are charging the fair market value rent. Most people don't know this, they think that landlords are just padding their pockets. I also have to pay taxes, insurance, mortgages and maintenance from the rental proceeds. If I don't get paid, that money comes out of my pocket. I can only do so much. so there are times when an eviction is the only choice.

Many of the homeless are convicts, some have multiple convictions. In all honesty, how many people who are already struggling, want to have to deal with housing a convicted criminal? Even family members have been stung by a family member who has been incarcerated. Where is the end of the rope, when one is trying to help someone, who is stealing from them, or selling drugs or committing other crimes, out of their home? That loving and caring family member, could actually end up in trouble themselves, even arrested for crimes taking place in their home. Many people on this site have already said that they have or have had, family members in prison. They all know the deal on this.

The time to stop this behavior is while the child is very young and starts showing signs of criminal behavior. It is not the responsiblity of the greater society to raise our children. Homelessness is often the end of the road for some of these individuals who started begging for attention ten, twenty or thirty years ago, and didn't get it from those responsible for them.

The only countries in the world that don't have homelessness are communist countries. That is because the government owns and controls everything, and provides housing for everyone. But then they don't have much else to talk about.

We need to get black men off the street corners while they are young, back in school, working and performing the role of provider and protector, and a lot of this homeless problem while abate. We are in for much worse if we don't do something now.

6. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    Ever wonder why falling short to meeting needs is happening in the NATION?

I keep meeting philospohical people who have a tendency to say 'if you give a man a fish, it will eat for a day, if you teach a man how to fish he will eat all his life'.

They seem to keep AWAY from the REALITY of the SITUATION.

But we should not DESPAIR there is HOPE to COVER all NEEDS. The ANSWER is THERE.

7. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    mrron I may not have your AGE but I saw a MEMORABLE GLIMPSE of this DYNAMIC in play in our COMMUNITIES when I was growing UP. It was a SHAME for US as a COMMUNITY to SEE GROWN MEN and WOMEN homeless. If they had CHILDREN the SHAME would be considered a HEARTLESS ACT of DISGRACE.

But I also saw the DESTRUCTION (drug trade, government policies(NOT as SIMPLE as BLAMING WELFARE), etc) that TOOK PLACE and WARP US ALL in some SHAPE and FORM.

We have become ESTRANGED to a CUSTOM that our ANCESTORS built a RESPONSE too.

I dont thing ROUNDING UP YOUNG BLACK MEN from STREET CORNERS will be the ANSWER. That will create more QUESTIONS since the JUSTICE SYSTEM is doing the SAME. And everyone there is EDUCATED to a LARGE DEGREE. And they already have an ANSWER. If we are going to do the same we have to have an ANSWER. Currently our community do not have that ENERGY or LIFE FORCE to engage this PERPLEXING MATTER.

For now perhaps the answer will have to come from YOUNG BLACK MALES themselves. For now we should be CONCERNED about their WELL BEING now and to come.

8. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I say again and again and again-

So long as Young Brothas are DISCONNECTED from the OLDER/ELDER Brothas, the Circle will continue going around and around...

KD

9. mrron

mrron Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi dustyelbow, you mentioned "government policies" in reference to homelessness. I don't know if you are saying that government policy is creating the problem, or that the government can do more to alleviate it. Actually, in some cities vagrancy laws prohibit the homeless from living on the street, they must enter a homeless shelter. Many of the homeless don't want this because they say it is unsafe. I watched something on MSNBC the other day about homeless people in Hollywood, all white kids. One girl actually thought that she should have the right to raise her newborn child on the street. The authorities came to take the child, but where unsucessfull, because someone rented a hotel room for her to show she had a place to stay. Sometimes, there is more attention paid to the problem when white kids are involved.

The problem calls for new leadership in government period. We have spent almost half a trillion dollars in Iraq to save them and take their oil. I can't say that the money was well spent. There's talk about national health coverage, it must include some provisions for those who are homeless through no fault of their own. I really don't what the answer is for those who won't help themselves. There are probably politicians looking at the problem, but it might be a "bigger fish then they can fry". They probably don't want more dependence on the government for housing and other subsistance

Contrary to what you said, we do need to take the young men off of the street corners. I've taken a few off myself. They are usually grateful that someone did so and showed some interest in them. They really don't have the answers, that is why they are there, waiting to be rescued. It's are obligation to them to do it.

10. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    I bolded your comments because I want to step in a bit FURTHER.

I understand your perspective but the PROBLEM still PERSIST. I know a FEW of our YOUNG MEN will make it OUT with or without PREVIOUS GENERATION ASSISTANCE and go on to do MAINSTREAM THINGS like COLLEGE, becoming a SALARYMAN, ETC, ETC.

You have ACCUMULATED RESOURCES to do such. INDIVIDUAL RESOURCES added from a GREATER COMMUNITY of GREATER SOCIETY. (College connections, mentors who work in corporations, social and civic associations, etc) Most of our PEOPLE in this PREDICAMENT PRESENTLY do not even have the TIME to CULTIVATE their OWN RESOURCES (not just MONEY) and even with that it's still not ENOUGH to help the COMMUNITY. Greater society thinks POVERTY BLACK PEOPLE in the NATION HAVE CHOSEN this WAY to WALLOW in PERSISTANT STRIFE and DESPAIR (BLACK on BLACK CRIME). But its the same GREAT SOCIETY that dont REFLECT on THEMSELVES and REACH OUT by EXPOSING their OWN. I think EXPOSING their OWN and CORRECTING THOSE DEEDS will do more GOOD for our PEOPLE than asking US when our RESOURCES BY ITSELF cannot TACKLE (near EMPTY) such a LARGE UNIQUE NATION PROBLEM.

I see that if left LARGELY UNCHECKED will create that UNNECESSARY RACIAL WAR people dont want to SEE but this PROBLEM will certainly become what it IS and RUTHLESS WHITE was the AUTHOR of SUCH WORKS.

At this point in time, since GREATER SOCIETY seems to be GOING SOMEWHERE and leaving this PROBLEM behind with an ANSWER in place, I now see it as a GROUND PROBLEM needing GROUND SOLUTION. Mainly from YOUNG BLACK MALES (associations) themselves because the PREVIOUS GENERATION is not REALLY INSTILLING a SENSE of CONCERN about ALL AREAS of YOUNG BLACK MALE lives. Not just as a CHILD but as a GROWN MEN too.

That's why I mentioned it's becoming to LATE to START OVER. We including GREATER SOCIETY should have GRADUATED from this ALONG TIME AGO.

I am not saying we cannot RESOLVE this on our OWN but we will have to DEAL with GREATER SOCIETY and RUTHLESS WHITE. I dont want this to become VIOLENT through the hands of RUTHLESS WHITE. I rather not have this matter attended to on a INDIVIDUAL LEVEL (with whatever RESOURCES) anymore...

Now what do I mean about GOVERNMENT POLICIES?

Have you heard US say the FOLLOWING...

Why are there so many LIQUOR STORES in our COMMUNITY?

Why are WHITE PEOPLE neighborhoods so CLEAN?

I say check your LOCAL TOWN or CITY HALL. They set up our COMMUNITIES as MIXED USE zones while KEEPING so called WHITE PEOPLE NEIGHBORHOODS traditional...

Protecting African-American neighborhoods
    I am making SURE I get ANSWERS to QUESTIONS in the COMMUNITY. This would be BEYOND our BROTHERS and SISTERS in the NATION too BUSY trying to make ENDS MEET. But this is another RUTHLESS WHITE BUSINESS TRANSACTION doing us a GREAT DISSERVICE. And GREATER SOCIETY is now becoming JUST LIKE our EVERYDAY NATION DREAMING BROTHERS and SISTERS (they should have learned a LESSON from US and RESPONDED by CHECKING their OWN). But they too became to BUSY to be CONCERNED.

Even RUTHLESS WHITE was ENVIOUS and JEALOUS of our COMMUNITIES at SOME POINT.

That is why I mentioned if you own a HOME in our COMMUNITY it's time to STEP IT UP...

But I talk MYSTERIES...

Oh well.