Black Poetry : home...

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by mkhaya lo', May 3, 2002.

1. mkhaya lo'

mkhaya lo' Well-Known Member MEMBER

Journalist
    Rand Park Ridge, Johannesburg, South Africa.
    Ratings:
    +6
    taken...looked at...lusted at.....shown off
    but all that has come to an end....your home my ancestor
    home to rest, home to dignity, home to be with your people...
    the spirits are rejoicing..the drums are beating...time stopped...and started again...properly...
    No more will they call you an animal, my sister, my beautiful African sister! Perfect in your breasts, hips and thighs..
    Welcome home, the spirits are surely dancing!

....just to give everybody a bit of background, Saartjie Baartman was hottentot from South Africa who was taken away by ship in the early 1800's by European explorers who lied to her and told her she could make money by showing off what they called "an enormous behind" and other "abnormal features" she was first taken to London and exhibited as a "freak" in freak shows. Her master would lead her with a chain and she would have to perform animal like movements. She became famous as "the hottento Venus" she would be naked during her parades and the men would glare at what what called her "enlarged genitalia". after a few years she was sold to a circus animal keeper in France who featured Saartjie in a circus routine draped with feathers looking like an Ostrich. A group of scientists took her and perfomed scientific experiments on her to prove what they would later call "proof" that African women were genetically behind or underdeveloped than European women. Saartjie died three months after those experiments. Her ordeal didn't end there.
    Her brain and private parts were preserved in a Museum for display. her skeleton was kept at the musuem for many years.
    The South African Government has been in negotiations with the French Government for years. Finally this year they agreed to let Saartjie be brought back to Africa to be buried properly. And to day [0305] She arrived in S.A and a formal ceremony was held for her....

This is a victory For all Africans around the world!

2. brotherman

brotherman Well-Known Member MEMBER

IT Tech
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank YOU Beautiful Continent Dweller...

That piece was beautiful for too many different reasons than the ones you would find in this site, but the follow-up with historical account what much appreciated and loved. I am of Pan-African and Kemetic thought. I know there is much history to be told and much to be exposed for all scattered around the diaspora. Just know that there are some "real" descendants of Africa on this site that got love and then some for ya'...

3. mkhaya lo'

mkhaya lo' Well-Known Member MEMBER

Journalist
    Rand Park Ridge, Johannesburg, South Africa.
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am eternally greatful for the responses. I feel proud about what the government has achieved. I am proud to be South African, espacially because the whole poetry movement is growing at an alarming rate! The spoken word is getting more "stage" than it ever has before. Wish you guys were here to experience it.

lo'