Black Education / Schools : Home Schooling - A Daunting Task?

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Destee, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I did not home school my children, in that, i removed them from the public / private school system.

When i think of home schooling, i can't help but realize every parent does this to some degree or another ... or at least they should be doing it. Every single thing that we teach our children, could fall under the heading of "home schooled" ... but to remove them from the public school system (or private), and teach them everything at home ... Whew Lawd! ... now that's got to be a whole big other something else!!

I just can't imagine it really. I'm not college-educated, so i automatically think i'm not qualified to teach my children the things they'll need to be "successful" in the world. In addition, i was / am a single Mother, and can't imagine adding this (great) responsibility to all the others i shouldered during their most formative years! I'd be more krazee than i am right now, i think?!

Are there steps parents must go through, in order to properly prepare themselves for this?

In the beginning, can home schooling be coupled with public schooling ... so the parent can transition easily into this?

How many hours should the parent devote to this task specifically, per day (ramping up, and at full speed)?

How easy is it to home school?

Can anyone (with a desire) home school their child?

Let's talk about it Family.

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Family ... after doing a tiny bit of searching, i found an answer to one of my questions ...

"Is Homeschooling the Right Choice for My Child?"

The short answer: yes, it is, as long as you're a committed and involved parent with normal intelligence and no history of serious mental illness!

You don't need an impressive educational background or lots of money to succeed at homeschooling. Research has shown that parents with only a high school education or less can do about as good a job as those with advanced degrees, or education degrees.(1) It has also shown that those who spend less than $200 per child per year on homeschool curriculum can get as good results as those who spend $400-$599 per child per year.(2)

http://www.home-school.com/Articles/GetStarted.html

:heart:

Destee

3. afrknroots

afrknroots Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Sister Destee, I'm not against the idea of homeschooling per se, but I question the wisdom of homeschooling a child all by him/herself. Children need the company of their peers in order to learn properly, because learning for them is indistinguishable from playing, especially at a young age.
    My contribution to your idea would be to consider getting together with other Black folks who want to homeschool, and teach the children together.

Great topic by the way

4. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Thank you for the Homeschooling forum, Sister Destee!:great:

I've been contemplating this transition for about two years now. The thought of me being qualified/educated enough, has held me back thus far.

I don't even know where to begin. Well, I sort of know. I know I must first submitt a letter stating my intentions to home school. (To whom, I'm not sure) Then I must purchase all the necessary materials for the curriculm, that the state has set-up.

Yet knowing these basic stuff still leave me with this overwhelming feeling. What if I screw up? What if my children don't meet the standards at the end of a term? What if my child prefers a regent diploma instead of a GED?

So many concerns, No one I know up close and personally, to walk me through this process. So the saga continue's, "State Schooling vs Homeschooling?"

I am looking forward to reading more on Homeschooling from our family here at Destee's.:heart:

5. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    I've pondered home-schooling my daughter once she becomes intermediate. She's still primary (3rd grade), so I have a few more months to decide. It seems an easy task to educate your child in the primary stage... I don't have all the credentials, and I'm sure there's more to it than meets the eye.

Home schooling is just that: school at home. Your child is still assigned homework that must be completed within a time frame, with satisfactory progress. If a parent has the patience to have an adolescent at home, then more power to them.

I proposed this to my daughter's teacher; she frowned on it. I guess they need to keep the children in public school to keep their paychecks rolling in.

A home school environment must be disciplined and well organized; because we ALL know children respond better to a stimulating environment with peers; they appreciate the stern discipline; they are prone to obey the teachers because they know there are consequences to their every action; whereas, on the homefront, they get away with more. Weighing the pro's & con's is the best approach.

Peace

6. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Oooo Gosh, Sister Spicy!:confused:

I forgot all about that one. Thanks for reminding me!:heart:

7. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    ^5. Home schooling would be like a zoo without it!:kickball:

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Honestly Yes you can do it if this what you want for as destee stated
    price wise the requirements is having basic knowledge / spelling / reading
    good skillz in algebra ....getting the supplies and required materials also will
    have a help line / guide and other needs .

In Home schooling which i would love to do and thinking about it strongly
    while i think even if they was to stay in public or private schools parents
    still can teach the things they missing in the school system #1 HISTORY

I agree when Home schooling there are pros & cons to look at and you have
    to keep them focus as well yourself a parent will have to become not mom or dad
    but teacher and yes most often as i know you have to devote 6 hours a day
    give homework do tests / quiz and so forth this if the parent is really up to this
    kind of upbringing teaching within the home .

My Aunt did it with her son , he never step foot in a public school before and he have
    a small degree behind his belt and he's now 21 and from what i hear landed a great
    paying job ......make it short the boy is bright . this kind of achievement can be done.

9. Jackee

Jackee Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Everyone
    At the time when my children was in school, I had to teach them at home anyway because the public school had cut so many programs.

My younger children were not prepared for high school like my others children. They had taken algebra out of the middle school. And so I had to buy software in multiple subjects just so they would not be left behind. They was upset with the fact that when they got home from school, I had classes with them again in math, and spanish. Now I'm not the greatest in any subject, but I am graceful for God in developing the PC, and software. So they was more then ready for highschool.

I had did some research on home schooling, and it's not like it was several years ago. They are more organize now with groups participation that involves PTA, field trips, picnics, and etc. with other home schooling students. So the children do have a chance to be social.

I had told my oldest children not to be surpise if they may have to teach their own children, because this country is not up on higher education for minority children.

So there is nothing stopping anyone from learning, more.

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    that is so true Jackee ......and they do have the tools for Home teaching
    the biggest factor is within the parent if they have time and willingly to stay
    abid and teach which will not only require the basic limited hours but the extra
    hours to study the lesson and prepare it .