Black Money Business Jobs : Home prices 'extremely overvalued' in 53 cities

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
WASHINGTON — Single-family home prices are "extremely overvalued" in 53 cities that make up nearly a third of the overall U.S. housing market, putting them at high risk of price declines, according to a study released today.

The report, by Richard DeKaser, chief economist of National City Corp., examined 299 metro areas accounting for 80% of the U.S. housing market.

DeKaser terms a market extremely overvalued if prices are 30% above where he estimates they should be based on historic price data, area income, mortgage rates and population density — a proxy for land scarcity.

Based on those criteria, Santa Barbara, Calif., is the nation's most out-of-whack market, with houses 69% overpriced. Rounding out the top five: Salinas, Calif.; Naples, Fla.; and Riverside and Merced, Calif.

College Station, Texas, is the most undervalued, priced 19% below where the data suggest it should be. Other inexpensive communities include El Paso, Odessa and Killeen, Texas, and Montgomery, Ala.

The highest-risk markets are in California; Southern Florida; parts of the Boston area; the Long Island, N.Y., counties of Nassau and Suffolk; and Ocean City, N.J.

The big culprit: in 85% of the cities surveyed, home-price gains outpaced income gains during the past year. In Bakersfield, Calif., prices rose 33% while incomes increased 3%. In 29% of areas, prices outpaced income growth by at least 10 percentage points.

Just 2% of markets were in bubbly territory at the start of 2004, vs. 31% in the first quarter of 2005.

Some of the most expensive areas or those with the fastest growth aren't necessarily the most overpriced, according to DeKaser's model. Pricey Honolulu, Hawaii, for example, isn't in the top 53.

DeKaser says his study doesn't mean big corrections are imminent, though he sees evidence the housing market could be at or near a crest.

"For the U.S. as a whole, I expect we're going to have an orderly correction. But that doesn't mean it's going to be equally orderly in all places," DeKaser says.

He says it's rare for property to depreciate, even in overvalued markets, without an economic shock such as rising unemployment. Price corrections might not occur at the same time, and declines in one area could be partly offset by gains elsewhere.

DeKaser's 30% threshold for overvalued markets is based on prices in 63 areas since 1985 that later had housing price declines.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/housing/2005-08-16-home-prices-usat_x.htm

kente417mojo

Jan 22, 2004
Everything in Cali is over-priced. That's why I'm out of here in 2007. The average price of a house in Los Angeles is $450,000. These aren't even top-notch houses. These are everyday people houses. I don't know why people stay in Los Angeles, but I'm not going to be one of them. My dream is not to spend more than 50% of what I make just to keep a roof over my head and the utilities on.:peace:

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
kente417mojo said:
Everything in Cali is over-priced. That's why I'm out of here in 2007. The average price of a house in Los Angeles is $450,000. These aren't even top-notch houses. These are everyday people houses. I don't know why people stay in Los Angeles, but I'm not going to be one of them. My dream is not to spend more than 50% of what I make just to keep a roof over my head and the utilities on.:peace:
New Jersey is just as bad. The cost of housing is going beyond the average American's ability to afford. That coupled with rising interest rates is going to eventually bring the cost of housing down.

KWABENA

STAFF
STAFF
Jun 10, 2004
Everywhere
Occupation
Leader-Student-Teacher
UUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Predatory Lending monster is coming back!

CD

Therious

Banned
Feb 22, 2004
kente417mojo said:
when i moved from cali i was amazed at the low cost of living in the south. i mean i prefer the state of mind of california over the south but dam i can rent a nice pad for like $500 bones a month, or buy a decent crib for like $150 g's even cheaper than that. here in va $450,000 will land you three times that LA one level, no yard, ant infested, project by a different name house.
i do miss cali though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Black People : Staying at Home Kids Activity Black People Open Forum 0
R Black Poetry : OK she strut butt and stay up with luck she's a RED BONE and boys kiss her and head home because of her skin tone this boy has a TOYOTA with hype he Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
S Black People : 50 or so Heavily-armed Cops and National Guardsmen protect the home of killer cop Derek Chauvin. Black People Open Forum 1
G Health and Wellness : Mississippi Church That Violated Coronavirus "Stay At Home Order" Burned To Ground Black Health and Wellness 0
R Black Poetry : At home she roam around in a gown and boys hound and bark be astound her beauty could wreck a nation and don't expect compensation can't place her lac Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Its a dumb start but it from the heart and bona fide now I'm gonna ride home with this boy a kiss he can enjoy so lets get under way gonna be wet thun Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Homeless women who took over California home gain support Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Al D Africa : Energy Efficient Home Built by Africans All Things Africa 0
KRAZYK Black People : You have no reason to cry about your home Black People Open Forum 4
Chyko Health and Wellness : Acne Treatment At Home: 10 Easy Ways To Get Rid Of Pimples Black Health and Wellness 1
R Black Poetry : They kiss at the table but this fable is concerned with a cake date that went wrong so he spent time at home thinking about it alone now on the phone Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
R Black Poetry : "knew this girl that was home yall up against a stone wall because of a wrong phone call now this boy want some and could fall in love after he break Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Toddler allegedly returns home from daycare with braid ripped off scalp: 'This is a lawsuit' Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 0
candeesweet Black Poetry : No Home Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Ndugu Black Positive People : Marcus Kline Freedom Home Adacamy , has kindergarten students doing JHS science!! Black People Doing Positive Things 1
R Black Poetry : be desired and approved HIP HOP required a smooth feel strong and the deal at home after a kiss and Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : This is a gift an act folks sniff my facts and detect a smell at home now have to protect my cell Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Senegal : At new Museum of Black Civilizations, a call to come home Senegal 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Detroit police find 63 fetuses in funeral home amid probe Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Pioneering female plumber who fought sexism was told to 'go home and do the dishes' Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Alvin Kamara wears 'Make Africa Home Again' hat, Colin Kaepernick jersey in Saints locker room Black Sports 1
R Black Poetry : Strong beats on streets as pride talk on sidewalks run into crime has stone walls best be home yall, Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : At VIRGINIA BEACH Home depot to buy some electric wire but have this dumb desire for chick quick and Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : One dude paused his brain and caused pain on microphones while he remain home his goal was to tame d Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : home team history Black People Politics 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Computers - Software Hardware : How to make sure Russian hackers can’t attack your home router, again Science and Technology 4
R Black Poetry : born in the gully but fly and a lullaby lullaby is a song for a baby // let me take you home get g Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : born in the gully but fly and a lullaby is a song for a baby so boo let me take you home get gravy y Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : be gone from home now in Walmart to roam my COX Desk top support Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
PurpleMoons Black People : Virginia governor to white nationalists: 'Go home ... shame on you' Black People Open Forum 6
IFE Black Positive People : 9-Year Old Queen Running Her Own Home-Based Line of Bath Products Black People Doing Positive Things 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People : from-detroit-to-liberia-why-i-left-america-to-find-home Black People Open Forum 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Outlaw: Starts At Home...I Thought You New.... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Home - Ms Mills OldSoul 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Ghana : Syrians finding refuge in Africa as war at home grinds on Ghana 1
Senegal Law Forum : Do You Practice Home Defense? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Media: Charles Brown - Please Come Home For Christmas Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Enki Black People : This is our home black family Black People Open Forum 4
Fine1952 Black People Politics : President Obama’s New Home Black People Politics 0
DjajiPrime Benin : History and Culture of Benin Republic (Home of VooDoo) Benin 3
chuck Health and Wellness : The Loss Of Black Home Ownership In Detroit Is A Wake Up Call For All Of Us!! Black Health and Wellness 0
Chidike Black People : Black Woman in Leading Lawsuit Over Flint, Mich., Water Crisis Found Shot to Death in Home Black People Open Forum 8
Liberty Black Education / Schools : In African-American Communities, Growing Interest In Home-Schooling Black Education / Schools 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Archaeologists digging at Malcolm X's boyhood home in Boston African American History Culture 1
1poetsought Black People : The Journey Black Home Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Money Business Jobs : Nation of Islam comes home to Detroit for convention Black Money Business Jobs 2
caramelpython Black Poetry : Returning Home Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Liberty Black Positive People : Rondae & Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson Surprise Mom with New Home (Dir By @MrBizness) Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Liberty African American History Culture : RARE PHOTOS OF MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. AT HOME African American History Culture 12
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : 18 Bizarre Home Remedies That Really Work Food Discussion and Recipes 2