Black Women : Home Birth

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by karmashines, May 3, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    For those who intend on having a child or more children, would you consider birthing at home instead of in a hospital? Why or why not?

Or what about giving birth without painkillers, whether you're in a hospital or not? Have you or would you do this?

2. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    I want to give birth at home..because to me it's more intimate..and it blesses the home with the child's arrival into this world. I would love to have an African American midwife..The home is peaceful..the baby is coming out of the quietness of the womb..it should have a chance to adjust...the hospital is loud to me...you can have soft music..candles lit..anything to make it a more intimate..spiritual arrival...

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    have you ever actually seen labor?
    what i saw was neither peaceful, nor quiet.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I saw a lot of blood...a whole lot of blood!

5. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I wished I had my children at home. For one thing, its alot cheaper. It seems to be more beautiful too and natural. As for painkillers, I never used them during birth anyway.

The downside of giving birth in the home is the risk that can arise. Without the proper equiptment(sp) availible in the home, It can be very dangerous if something goes wrong.

If I was 80% sure that the birth of my children would be normal, I would love to give birth at home. That is, If I could turn back the hands of time.

6. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thank God I'm past that part of life.

I could not imagine ever having another child...let alone have one in my house. I love kids, but I'm also happy that I only have one. I didn't like being pregnant, I didn't like labor, and I just never wanted to go though any of it again. (well the sex part was great)

7. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    I don't think I'd recommend giving birth at home because unexpected things can go wrong. I guess it would also depend on how far away the hospital is in case of an emergency.

I do recommend not getting an epidural. I think labor progresses faster when a woman can feel what's going on. I had no time for painkillers during my first delivery and for the rest I chose to do it as natural as possible. Worked for me anyway..

8. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    My grandmother from Jamaica (pronouced Juh-meeee-kaaaah) had 14 children....all of them at home and without the aid of doctors.

In those day all people used were midwives to help see the delivery through.

9. Ledda

Ledda Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4

I do agree. I'd feel a lot safer in a hospital because I had a hard time with both of my kids. Both had to be emergency C-sections for different reasons. But there are women who go through labor and delivery without complications. There is a birthing center in my home town that give the feel of home. It's actually an old victorian house and the delivery room is a bedroom, but it's a block away from the hospital in case there's an emergency.
    I don't recommend epidurals either for several reasons. If administered wrog they can have permanet effects on your nervous system causing problems in different areas of the body. My cousin recently had a baby that was overdue and they tried to induce labor for three days. They'd given her an epidural early on the third day for pain and awhile later decided to go ahead with a C-section but didn't think she needed a general anestetic because she's had the epidural. By the time they began to cut her the epidural was wearing off and she said she felt the pain of the incision and them taking the baby out. They gave her a general anestetic afterwards. (One of many, many labor horor stories I know, including my own.)