Jails / Prisons : Holder: "Too Many Americans Go to Too Many Prisons for Far Too Long"

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Alarm Clock, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Attorney General Eric Holder has officially unveiled a major policy shift to help certain low-level drug offenders avoid harsh mandatory minimum prison sentences. In an address to the American Bar Association, Holder confronted the issue of mass incarceration, noting that while the United States comprises just 5 percent of the world’s populations, it houses nearly a quarter of the world’s prisoners. Among other changes, Holder touted an expansion of the "compassionate release" program for some elderly prisoners. And he announced a review of racial sentencing disparities, citing a recent study that found black men received sentences nearly 20 percent longer than those imposed on white men convicted of similar crimes.
    http://www.democracynow.org/2013/8/13/headlines#8132

2. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Of course, those already advocating prison reform etc., had expected far more than just lenient setences for relative minor drug law violations, etc.

I. e., what is obvious in particular is the coopting of some grassroots causes, and what also is predictable are the mainstream responses...

We need not even bring up what those 'tea party' loonies claim or say...

To me, they just play to their constantly shriking 'white is (always) right' voting base etc.

Times have changed again:

Even more so we have to truly find out who are for what we advocate or by their very nature today's defenders of the status quo...

Some of them are bound to be black too...

FYI...

3. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Well that's the point. If grassroots movements, have a single ish rather then abroad ish like Black Nationalism, then they can be co-opted but, in the case of the movement against the Preison Industrial Complex;
    do you think he made this move on his own or prompted by the various movements, of the time the way the civil rights movement prompted LBJ to act on progressive issues?

4. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    CTJ: I don't pretend to be on the level of a U. S. version of Fanon etc., but it does seem and sound we just went from outright enslavement to chain gangs and on to the present version, i. e., the exploitation of either unpaid or low paid labor, meant to make others rich etc.

FYI...

5. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Yes, I do recall a recent book title, 'Black Labor/White Wealth', but how many black writers advocate what can undo the one sided relations, etc.?

Even among a few who had, times have changed, some things reflected them also being a part of ongoing movements, i. e., though historical analysis also do aid any new efforts...

FYI...

6. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Do find and read the original version of RACISM AND THE CLASS STRUGGLE, i. e., then you'll have a better ideal what I'm about, too...

FYI...