Black People : HIV Positive Muppet for Sesame Street in Nigeria

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by cherryblossom, Oct 20, 2010.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    HIV-positive muppet to star in Nigeria's 'Sesame Street'
    By George Webster for CNN
    October 6, 2010 --

CNN) -- Big Bird and the Cookie Monster have some new friends, but they're a long way from "Sesame Street."

One of America's best-loved children's shows, which began life on a fictional New York street over 40 years ago, is about to land in Nigeria under the title of "Sesame Square" -- bringing with it some distinctly West African twists.

The show stars Kami, a girl muppet who is HIV-positive, has golden hair and a zest for adventure; and Kobi, an energetic, furry, blue muppet whose troublesome escapades help others learn from his mistakes.

In a country with a population of over 150 million -- where, according to the CIA World Factbook, nearly half are under the age of 14 -- the show will address some of the biggest challenges faced by young people in the region: AIDS, malaria, gender inequality, religious differences -- as well as many positive aspects of Nigerian life. In the case of Zobi, this is characterized by an obsessive love of yams -- a staple food in the Nigerian diet.

"We have a very focused health and hygiene umbrella concept area that we're concentrating on," Naila Farouky, senior director of international projects at Sesame Workshop, told CNN. "This is something our local advisors have prioritized -- something that absolutely has to be addressed on the show."

In one episode, Zobi gets tangled up in a mosquito net, much to the amusement of the local kids. But there's an important message behind the antics -- mosquito nets are the best way to prevent infection from malaria on a continent where, according to the World Health Organization, a child dies from the disease every 45 seconds.

There are also an estimated 278,000 HIV-positive children in Nigeria, according to the National Agency for Control of AIDS.

However, like its American predecessor, "Sesame Square" is not solely focused on health and social issues, but a host of essential learning skills.

Farouky told CNN, "The thread of the show continues to be about basic life skills -- literacy, numeracy and pre-school education."

We work with our local teams to find ways in which we can infuse the project with the cultural values

--Naila Farouky, Senior Director, Sesame Workshops

So how did the producers go about adapting such an iconic show for a Nigerian market?

"If we're writing scripts for programs in Nigeria, the writers will be Nigerian scriptwriters," explains Farouky. "We'll often look for people who already have some experience in writing, but because we're aware [of] the format that we use and the methodology that we use, we'll provide training on how to write."

According to Farouky, collaboration is at the heart of the production process. "We work with our local teams to find ways in which we take the content that's important to them, to infuse the project with the cultural values, making sure we know which the taboo issues are and which are not," she told CNN.

Farouky recalled how, when making an Egyptian version of Sesame Street called "Alam Simsim," the character of Oscar the Grouch was firmly rejected on grounds that he glorified living in a garbage can -- something at odds with the cultural values of the region. Were there any similar issues in the making of Sesame Square?

"Our program is hosted by two muppets, a boy and a girl," she told CNN. "And because there is an entire region in Nigeria up in the North which is very Muslim, we had to be very sensitive. Even our publicity pictures could not have the muppets hugging, which we would normally have," she explained.

Roughly a quarter of households in Nigeria own television sets, according to the country's National Bureau of Statistics, which will inevitably limit the scope of its reach. However, the Sesame Workshop has used a significant proportion of its funding to produce additional learning materials, and is examining ways that it can use radios and mobile phones to help promote the messages in the show.>>>>

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/06/sesame.street.nigeria/index.html?eref=edition_world

2. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    So, in the US, Sesame Street is telling our little girls to "love what they have on top" about their natural hair....

And in NIGERIA, they have a little girl with "GOLDEN HAIR."

And a little boy who is BLUE.

THIS is what we should be protesting! :whip:

THIS is what we should be exposing! :whip:

3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

How they gone give African American little girls some "self esteem" about their hair and then in Nigeria have a little girl with GOLDEN hair?! :whip:

And I aint happy 'bout the little boy being BLUE either! :whip:

Sesame Street and Sesame Square need some ACK RIGHT! :whip:

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    What kinda "cultural values" is it teaching when you have a little NIGERIAN girl with "GOLDEN HAIR?!" :whip:

Good Grief!.....Are there any actual NIGERIANS working for "Sesame Square?"

And if so, WHERE is their voice in this??

5. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Actually there are Africans with naturally blond hair. We don't see it in America because the slavemasters killed any babies that were born with blond hair to perpetuate the myth that such hair is unique to white people. It isn't. Neither are blue eyes. Because Africans don't share our experience of equating blond hair with white people they probably would not understand our protest.

6. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    with all the movies Black folks make over there, how in the world would they allow this on the television?

7. Nameless

Nameless Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +110
    tele vision -

aka

artificial fake telepathy

view of scenes transmitted, and every single second u get it

sesame street- aka

puppets

like "magic john'son"

st. john and his jobs

eventually all programming goes off the "air" symbolically enough

or the radar

if we don't want children to be taught by things outside of ourself then we should change the concept of ourselves in them

stop acting like they are "owned", to mold

because the scenes viewed are the possibilities because really no condition is permanent as of yet

my Love is permanent, I am permanent, cause I made sure of that

meaning I made up my own MIND

and I'm willing to bet my soul he will will change

and since I don't bet with my soul, or play games with regard to GOD

I don't need hope, or revelation, or to see the future, or walk the path of light before I am called

My soul will tell my self when I am ready, and my body has no say in this

GOD does not come from heaven/hell because both were created by man

man is not GOD'S maker nor breaker

so save the breaks for someone who wants to be broken

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    There is something that recalls, Langston Hughes "Mr Backlash" in this

global onslaught of well organized white imperialism from the regentrification of Black neighborhoods, and the privatization of basic Black tax payer government services and the return to states rights,
    here

to, the large number of British, French and Flemish troops in the nations of their former colonies in the Motherland.

bizarre things happened to all PBS functionaries and prograsming after it was
    colonized
    and Bill Moyers goes to great lengths to talk about that act of terrorism.

To make a muppet of an illness that was placed into Africa by various phamaceutical companies,
    (Dr Horowitz, well documented exposes)
    is an obvious ploy to get children n Nigeria to subconsciously accept genocide
    Never was there a muscular dystrophy muppet, or a child with cancer muppet, or any other of the numerous not yet ,but curable illnesses that white children face in this nation.

In all ,
    it realy is up to the Nigerian government,
    a government that will not allow progressive citizens to even speak (in any form of media television radio or print,)
    out against the rape of the nation by European oil magnates,

and up to the parents in Nigeria to pull the plug out the television when ever that crap comes on, and boycott those who pay for the commercials there.

9. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well, this is Kami and Kobi...

[​IMG]

http://goodmenproject.com/2010/10/08/sesame-square-the-nigerian-sesame-street/

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014