Black History : HISTORY AND CULTURE EXAMPLES...

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
A History and Culture Exam for the unitiated... I will ask whether a particular example is best explained as an example of history or culture...

THE LAUNCHING OF MARCUS GARVEY'S BLACK STAR LINE...
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

GRANDMA'S QUILT WITH AFRICAN FRACTAL DESIGNS...
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGION...
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

MALCOLM X BORN MAY 19, 1925...
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

MALCOLM X ASSASSINATED FEB 21, 1965
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

AFRO CUBAN CONGA DRUMS...
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

BLACK-EYED PEAS OR RED BEANS WITH RICE(SOUL FOOD)...
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

BLUES, JAZZ, REGGAE, AND SAMBA...
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

THE 1965 VOTING RIGHTS ACT
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

THE 1955 MONTGOMERY BUS BOYCOTT
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

THE BLACK PANTHER PARTY FORMED IN 1966
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

BARRY BONDS HIT'S NUMBER HR # 713 MAY 7, 2006
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

MY FIRST CHILD BORN JUNE, 1978
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

MY MOM PASSES IN SEPT, 2000
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

HIPHOP, RAP, AND BREAK DANCING...
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

FUNK MUSIC
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

Again, which of these examples represents our culture, and which represents our history... Are they interchangeable??? THINK before you answer that question...

Peace!
Isaiah

Okay Brother Isaiah ... i'm gonna try this ... i went and got some definitions of culture and history, and will apply them to the test below.

Culture
noun: a particular society at a particular time and place
noun: the attitudes and behavior that are characteristic of a particular social group or organization

History
noun: the discipline that records and interprets past events involving human beings
noun: all that is remembered of the past as preserved in writing; a body of knowledge
noun: a record or narrative description of past events

Isaiah said:
A History and Culture Exam for the unitiated... I will ask whether a particular example is best explained as an example of history or culture...

THE LAUNCHING OF MARCUS GARVEY'S BLACK STAR LINE...
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

According to the definitions above, it seems that this would qualify for both, history and culture, as it is something remembered of the past, yet it also speaks to a particular society at a particular time and place. If both is the wrong answer, i guess i'll go with HISTORY ... since it is something that happened in the past, i feel i can't go wrong with it.

GRANDMA'S QUILT WITH AFRICAN FRACTAL DESIGNS...
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

Again ... i'd say both, for the same reasons above. It speaks to a time in the past, and a particular society at a particular time and place (up to and including today).

AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGION...
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

Again ... i'd say both, for the same reasons above. It speaks to a time in the past, and a particular society at a particular time and place (up to and including today).

MALCOLM X BORN MAY 19, 1925...
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

HISTORY

MALCOLM X ASSASSINATED FEB 21, 1965
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

HISTORY ... though if any more was added to the problem, the culture that led to the event, would quickly come into play.

HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

THE 1965 VOTING RIGHTS ACT
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

HISTORY ... though if any more was added to the problem, the culture that led to the event, would quickly come into play.

THE 1955 MONTGOMERY BUS BOYCOTT
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

THE BLACK PANTHER PARTY FORMED IN 1966
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

BARRY BONDS HIT'S NUMBER HR # 713 MAY 7, 2006
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

HISTORY

MY FIRST CHILD BORN JUNE, 1978
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

HISTORY

MY MOM PASSES IN SEPT, 2000
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

HISTORY

HIPHOP, RAP, AND BREAK DANCING...
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

FUNK MUSIC
HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

Again, which of these examples represents our culture, and which represents our history... Are they interchangeable??? THINK before you answer that question...

Peace!
Isaiah

Yes, i think that culture and history are quite interchangeable.

It's almost like splitting hairs.

Brother Isaiah ... thanks for the exercise, can't wait to receive my "A"! :look:

:heart:

Destee

Destee said:
Okay Brother Isaiah ... i'm gonna try this ... i went and got some definitions of culture and history, and will apply them to the test below.

Culture
noun: a particular society at a particular time and place
noun: the attitudes and behavior that are characteristic of a particular social group or organization

History
noun: the discipline that records and interprets past events involving human beings
noun: all that is remembered of the past as preserved in writing; a body of knowledge
noun: a record or narrative description of past events

Yes, i think that culture and history are quite interchangeable.

It's almost like splitting hairs.

Brother Isaiah ... thanks for the exercise, can't wait to receive my "A"! :look:

Destee

So you are saying that this:

HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

HISTORY OR CULTURE
ANSWER:

is equivalent to: History
noun: a record or narrative description of past events[/COLOR]

...that a conga drum or grandma's quilt are a record of past events, a discipline that records and interprets past events involving human beings... You mean the quilt and the conga drum are "past events", or that my last 5 posts are culture, maybe??? Hiphop is an EVENT that happened once, and never happend again... Break Dancing is an event that happened one time, and never recurred, and so is Black-Eyed peas and Red Beans and Rice... History every night in New Orleans, I guess...

Alright, it's clear, and I'm gonna move on... There are none so blind as those who REFUSE to see...

Peace!
Isaiah

Isaiah said:
...that a conga drum or grandma's quilt are a record of past events, a discipline that records and interprets past events involving human beings... You mean the quilt and the conga drum are "past events", or that my last 5 posts are culture, maybe??? Hiphop is an EVENT that happened once, and never happend again... Break Dancing is an event that happened one time, and never recurred, and so is Black-Eyed peas and Red Beans and Rice... History every night in New Orleans, I guess...

Alright, it's clear, and I'm gonna move on... There are none so blind as those who REFUSE to see...

Brother Isaiah ... i'm sorry you've grown so impatient with my slow pace. Nonetheless, i do appreciate the time and energy you've given. Perhaps someone else will be able to pick up where you left off, and help me see what you are trying to show me.

I'm of the understanding, that anything that happened prior to RIGHT NOW, is a part of history. All of yesterday is as equally a part of history, as a thousands years ago. All the things that made yesterdays what they were, are also a part of that history. If yesterday had a congo drum, black eyed peas, or your Grandmother's quilt in it, they too are a part of that history. The history itself is set in the culture of that day. I don't see how you can separate one from the other, when they are so closely meshed together.

The effort to make a great distinction between the two, culture and history, when our history embodies our culture, and our culture embodies our history ... just doesn't make a lot of sense to me ... it's like splitting hairs.

But again, thanks for your effort.

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back