The Cosmic Journeyman
REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
Who were the "Redeemers"

omowalejabali said:

The "Redeemers" were a political coalition in the Southern United States during the Reconstruction era, who sought to oust the Radical Republican coalition of Freedmen, carpetbaggers and Scalawags. They were the southern wing of the Bourbon Democrats, the conservative, pro-business wing of the Democratic Party.

Bourbon Democrats.

Bourbon Democrat was a term used in the United States from 1876 to 1904 to refer to a conservative or CLASSICAL LIBERAL member of the Democratic Party, especially one who supported President Grover Cleveland in 1884-1896 and Alton B. Parker in 1904. After 1904, the Bourbons faded away. Woodrow Wilson, who had been a Bourbon, came to terms with William Jennings Bryan in 1912.

The term was occasionally used in the 1860's and 1870's to refer to conservative Democrats (both North and South) and in the 1870's to refer to the regimes set up in the South by Redeemers as a conservative reaction against Radical Reconstruction.

One Hundred Years of Terror

omowalejabali said:
The "Redeemers" were a political coalition in the Southern United States during the Reconstruction era, who sought to oust the Radical Republican coalition of Freedmen, carpetbaggers and Scalawags. They were the southern wing of the Bourbon Democrats, the conservative, pro-business wing of the Democratic Party.

Bourbon Democrats.

Bourbon Democrat was a term used in the United States from 1876 to 1904 to refer to a conservative or CLASSICAL LIBERAL member of the Democratic Party, especially one who supported President Grover Cleveland in 1884-1896 and Alton B. Parker in 1904. After 1904, the Bourbons faded away. Woodrow Wilson, who had been a Bourbon, came to terms with William Jennings Bryan in 1912.

The term was occasionally used in the 1860's and 1870's to refer to conservative Democrats (both North and South) and in the 1870's to refer to the regimes set up in the South by Redeemers as a conservative reaction against Radical Reconstruction.

In Louisiana the Democratic convention resolved that "we hold this to be a Government of White People, made and to be perpetuated for the exclusive benefit of the White Race, and.....that the people of African descent cannot be considered as citizens of the United States. Mississippi and Florida in particular enacted vicious black codes, other southern states (except North Carolina) passed somewhat less severe versions, and President Andrew Johnson did nothing to prevent them from being enforced.

Andrew Johnson.

He was the only southern Senator not to quit his post upon sucession and became the most prominant War Democrat from the South.

This leads me to ask, what are the origins of "Jeffersonian Democracy"?

:SuN048:

Oh my!- See this thang is deep rooted, deep rooted. I just saw PBS movie from tha library on the emanicpation of slavery and the civil war and all that stuff. I also by the way found out that the white side of me, -great,great,great grandfathers brother fought in the confederate army, while looking for info for my Papa and all of the brothers and sisters are from north or south carolina where they had all the slaves shipped to and stuff. Eering feeling.

I mean that just made me sick. Uggh!-You know sometimes I wonder why I try to find out family info. My papa wants to know basically what inheritance that there might be, but after finding that out, I was like, they may be in the KKK or sumptin, I donno.

You knowpeople just go underground. They pop up when the time is right but they go underground because after I realized more about white racism in this country the way it is set up is that it all stems from the same thing and is all to keep racism going and benefit whites. I mean its like heres the blue team, heres the red team, but their all on the same side like," we'll take care of the northern blacks, and you guys take care of the southern blacks"-

Mayne,
Thanks Doc, for these new findings-

Much Love,
Desert Storm

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back