The Front Porch : Historic and current oppression, Writing, White people telling the story

Dgudge ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :wave:

Thanks for joining us and sharing.

I started reading The Help without knowing who the author was ... took it from my Daughter's book shelf ... and was immediately put off by the unauthentic attempt of portraying Black People ... I knew the author could not have been Black ... the Ebonics (which i happen to love) made me cringe to read. I quickly went to the author page or whatever it's called, and my thoughts were confirmed. I never picked the book up again (nor did i see the movie).

You're asking us questions ... from the outside looking in ... that we're trying to find answers to, and we're in it.

Why stop at city and state differences for your book ... look at the world ... Black People are mistreated all over it.

You talk of a fire, where the folk are displaced ... Black People are displaced every day on this planet ... and very few (if any) move in with the rich White People ... lol ... yeah ... that oughtta be a good story!

I suppose your interest / concern for us should be appreciated ... and it is ... to the degree it deserves.

Again ... thanks for sharing and good luck with your endeavor.

:heart:

Destee

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

1. That's exactly what I heard about the Help. White people, including me, were sucked in, but not so much on the other end. I think my community is working out some guilt still... or we are still out of touch. We'll read books that take place in the 60s, but what about now? That's kind of why I ended up choosing a modern day setting. Do you think that any of the reactions to the Help are a sign that reconciliation still hasn't happened between the two communities? Or is it just poorly written ebonics that is the only issue?

2. "You're asking us questions ... from the outside looking in ... that we're trying to find answers to, and we're in it."
The truth is... because of where I grew up, I'm not really at home in primarily white communities. I feel more at home in areas that are diverse, especially including the black culture that I grew up around. Is there any hope that I could ever be included as someone somewhat "in it" if I put myself in it? Sometimes I think I won't feel at home in either community, and that's probably what makes me instinctually think that a lot of racial aspects are still a part of the current reality. Shouldn't I be allowed to interact with something I have had first hand experience with? But it feels like I get excluded because I'm white. I know, I know... no one is going to feel sorry for me. I'm not asking that. I just think saying that I'm not "in it" is not exactly the most accurate assumption.

3. Definitely into looking at the world. I'm one of those who has focused way more on Africa, doing lots of non-profit work in East of Africa... so I'm kind of trying to understand stuff within my proximity right now. I'm sure if I ever even get a handle on this book, I could integrate worldwide elements into it as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

4. GOOD POINT. My story would be pretty naive if I had black families live with white families. Right when I read what you said, I thought about hurricane Katrina, where most families went to live with their family elsewhere, right? Thanks for giving me a dose of reality. I guess that's part of what I'm working through though; how much of the obvious separation in cities is just a matter of naturally wanting to be with the people who are similar to you? I wonder if I make the separation more dramatic than it is, but I really don't know. I'm sure there are as many answers to that as there are answers to any big questions. I'm sure it depends on who you ask. What do you think?

Thanks again for your feedback. In my little imaginary writer world, I can go directions which just aren't realistic, which is why I wrote here in the first place. Any other feedback is greatly appreciated.

1. I think my community is working out some guilt still... or we are still out of touch.

2. The truth is... because of where I grew up, I'm not really at home in primarily white communities.

In my little imaginary writer world, I can go directions which just aren't realistic ...

In #1 it is your community, and in #2, it is not?

There are many examples of white people telling the story, add your imagination, and anything is possible.

Have Fun!

:heart:

Destee

Writing a book for White people. I never thought of that.

Your first question tells us that you should do more research. Housing discrimination is a common phenomenon. As well as "loan" discrimination. You need a loan to get a house unless you're really wealthy and Africans are not at all wealthy.

Your second question mocks of comedy: the hilarious clash of cultures. If you are requesting a serious discussion then the purpose of the dialogue is unclear. Are you trained in novel writing?

Your second second question asks an honest question that requires you to understand that by and by there are two Philosophical schools attributed to African people in America: Integrationism and Separatism. Really, I think that by and by, today, African folk don't care--they just want to live better, possibly, preferably without White racism.

Your third question is about whether the book should be written. Personally, I do not know your Philosophy. It seems that you're pro-integrationist, but it also seems like you do not understand the separation. People of European descent (Europeans) lived in inner-cities, then African people moved in and Europeans moved out. This is called "White flight." I'm sure you know this, but housing discrimination made, for instance, realtors not even show European areas to African buyers and so on and so forth. It's deep. As to whether I would write such a book--No. It seems like it's about attracting gentrification (what you say you are against but look like you are interested in.)

Your fourth question kind of reminds me of this time that I was in an African bookstore and a European woman walked in asking if we had a poster board for community events. She then began to lecture us on how she has a program for neutering cats since the poor strays are overpopulating the city and dropped her literature over. When she left, the Brothers picked up their jaws. Of all the problems in the world, that European woman wanted to focus on whether cats were having too many children . . ..

Really, everyone creates their art in their way and they do their best and that's fine. But personally, I think that you'd be better off hitting the books rather than writing one. Otherwise, you might end up like that cat lady pushing a project that just seems . . ..

I was so thankful to find this forum. It may help me decide what to write or not to write (more about that later). It also soothes my soul to see any community just speaking kindly and making that their goal. I'm white, and unfortunately, I feel awkward asking my black friends too many questions about what it means to be black or white, because I guess I don't want to make it a big deal.

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Welcome Dgudge, let me assure you...you will be accommodated, enjoy your stay here at Destee.com.

Peace In,

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back