Black People : HIPHOP CULTURE IS NOW COMPLETELY APOLITICAL...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    With the exception of a handful of artists who write socio-political lyrics, and participate in various rallies and functions of the progressive community, the culture is politically bankrupt...

Not that it ever was a truly politically conscious culture to begin with, but since the dispersal of certain groups and individuals who had a platform during the 1980's(PUBLIC ENEMY & BDP), the culture has become consumed with making money, and even brags about how certain people put the genre of rap on the map based on how much money they made... For those wondering whom I am talking about, how about Tupac and Eminem...

Tupac once bragged the HE put RAP on the map, and his record sales proved that... That would be like Tommy Dorsey or Benny Goodman saying they put Jazz on the map because there corny bigband records sold more units - or Eric Clapton saying the Blues was put on the map by his record sales... Eminem's followers say he is the best thing to happen to rap ever, also, because of his record sales...

With that kind of mentality, it does not shock me that there is a dearth of political and social consciousness in this music and culture. Knowing how '60's and '70's music electriifed an entire generation, I understand why so few children of this generation are politically and socially motivated... Music plays such a large role in that process, and yet is largely absent from that process with young children today... What do you guys think of my statements??? Are they fair, and on point??? Let me know what you think...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

I think your comments are accurate.

I'll be back later on to elaborate.

I'm on my way out the door to teach a few yungin's

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Brother Omowale, could you provide a link to the DaveyD RapCointelpro page???

I must admit that I am not totally abreast of what goes on in the hiphop world... I think a lot of what happens in HipHop these days is extremely retrograde, and so I keep my distance from it to keep my blood from boiling over... Even my children seem to be completely disgusted with what's going on in the genre, so one can only imagine how I feel...

I just know that the genre came into existence as a recreational party thing, and progressed slowly to speak on the issues of the community... That I've not heard a group on the level of a Public Enemy since it's dissolution, tells me too many of the artists got caught up in the making of the dollar, and we know what happens when that happens...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
  5. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    What's wrong with crunk in it's proper place......I don't want to listen to P.E. or BDP or Jeru the Damaja when I'm in the club or partying.....I think the music has always had divisions so to speak where hip hop had something for all of us at all times....be it political, party music, crunk, or screw......

I think it's funny though that so many folk are down on some of the rap music out saying how it's so gangster and how the music from down South is garbage and how all the music should be positive but look at the blues the blues had the same womanizing,drinking,drug use,killing and such that's in some of the music today.... what in yall's opinion is the reason we look at one and put it down but look at the other and say how classic it is ...dont' get me wrong I'll take country blues over any form of music ever but just wondering right now how we or where we make the distinction between the two.....

MississippiRed

6. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34
    Like i said each music has it's own place so no need to shake your head and screw is not texas crunk....it's completely different

Yeah Snoop became a No Limit Soldier when he broke camp with Suge I've never been a No Limit fan though..I know Percy's family and know why he left NO to live in Richmond Ca in the first place...

and you still didn't give an opinion on the original question..what's the difference between a rapper killing folk on record and Robert Johnson killing his woman in 32 20 blues, ......that was my question where is the dividing line..is there one?.....so do you think crunk influences folks to do drive bys and push rock?

and don't forget crunk....fast.....screw ....slow.....2 different genres of Southern Music....completely different started by different folk.....

what's so interesting and would make you shake your head about my view of gangs and crunk.....

MississippiRed

7. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34
    agreed we can leave it at that......
    I'm not like other dude..

MississippiRed

8. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34

LOL.......Yeah I hate it when that happens.....Take care Brother

MississippiRed

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    You take care as well...

Peace..

10. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Mississippi Big Red, what's happenin', brother!

In answer to your question, I'd say about 75 years off the top of my head, but I know you aint goin' for that...(smile!) But my thrust in this thread is about balance... I remember a time in RAP when there was a dynamic tension, with the protons competing with the neutrons, and creating a powerful electro-maganetic energy that drew folks from all over the world into its orbit...

Now, like all things ONE DIMENSIONAL, it draws the youth, and repells he elder... There is nothing in the music for me and Madame Destee(smile!) I am fond of saying that good old Rhythm and Blues drew you in no matter your age... In 1968 a 9-year old like myself, could listen to Michael Jackson or James Brown, and be equally pleased... Michael was 10 then, and James was like 35, but they both made music that appealed to all age groups, and had something for all age groups... Today's rap is bling, and crunk, and dance all night, but what happens when you wanna just sit down and listen to a message???

There are not Gil Scott-Heron's in the music... No Curtis Mayfield's in the music... Hell, there aint never been no Grover Washington's in the music, where music provides the canvas to paint your own thoughts...(smile!)

The Blues, brother Mississippi, is RAP's grandfather... Grandfather's do stuff differently because they're GRAMPS... And Gramps had to deal with a world much different than our own... You couldn't be making no political records down in 1930's Mississippi or Alabama or New York or Chicago... If you did, you wouldn't get recorded... But even still, brothers like Bill Broonzy still told us about the 1927 Flood in the Delta, or his long awaited trip to Chicago... I got some double-entendre lyrics you and brother Omowale might be able to relate to, check it out:

OUR FATHER WHO IS IN HEAVEN,
    WHITE MAN OWE ME ELEVEN AND PAY ME SEVEN
    THY KINGDOM COME, THY WILL BE DONE
    IF I HADN'T TOOK THAT, I WOULDNA HAD NONE..

FIRST TIME I HEARD THE BLUES, MAMA,
    THEY COME WALKIN' THROUGH THE WOODS
    FIRST TIME I HEARD THE BLUES, BABY
    THEY COME WALKIN' THROUGH THE WOODS
    THEY STOPPED AT MY HOUSE FIRST, MAMA,
    AND DONE ME ALL THE HARM THEY COULD...

NOW THE BLUES GOT ME LORD,
    AND RUN ME FROM TREE TO TREE,
    NOW THE BLUES GOT AT ME, LORD
    AND RUN ME FROM TREE TO TREE
    YOU SHOULDA HEARD ME BEGGIN', BABY
    MR. BLUES, DON'T MURDER ME...

Now, who y'all think MR. BLUES might be????(smile!) Hellhounds on his trail!

Peace!
    Isaiah