Pan Africanism : Hip Hop's Influence in Africa

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Ellacott, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Ellacott

Ellacott Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Black Folks!

My name is David Sylvester and I recently completed a charitable bicycle trip in Africa, riding over 7000 miles from Cairo, Egypt to Cape Town, South Africa. The trip made me the first and only African American to cross two continents on a bicycle. I have plenty of great and fascinating stories.

Many are funny, others bittersweet, some are poignant, but all are entertaining. Surprisingly one story has stood out and if it was not for the fact that I have a picture of it, many would never believe it. And it is for that reason that I am sharing it with you.

While in Lilongwe, Malawi, I came across a store by the name of "*******" -that's right " *******"! The other riders, who were all white, could not wait to inform me of this to see my reaction. Initially, I thought that it was a very bad joke but when the other riders were adamant about the existence of the store, I had to see it for myself.

http://www.**************/knowledge/entertainment/stereotypes/pdiddyfdup.php

2. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    OH MY GOD, look at that store, lol. I can't believe that they would do something like that man. That just goes to show you what hip hop is doing to the whole world, its making the whole world crazy. l thought they would have been the last people to call themselves that, I mean they got something we don't have, and that is culture. They know their history and everything, which I thought would have stopped them from imitating certain ignorant things like that.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Congradulations on your journey Ellacott; however, I have a couple of questions: (1) From Egypt to South Africa is all the same continent (Africa), so what other continent did you travel across? (2) How is riding a bike across Africa honoring 9/11 victims?

4. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I would like to know that too,lol.

5. Ellacott

Ratings:
    +0
    Panafrica,

I apologize for the confusion. I'm not David Sylvester. That was a link to his article.

You ask some good questions. :)

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Okay you might want to wrap the article in quotes to avoid confusion Ellacott. I must say that the article raises some eyebrows. I fail to see how riding a bike across Africa does anything for 9/11 victims. I also fail to see how any black person would find any humor (even for a second) with a group of white people pointing out such a store to him/her. For that matter I question exactly what a black person is doing riding a bike across Africa with a group of white folks.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    is there a point in here somewhere.............?

i'm hard pressed to find it.

8. Ellacott

Ratings:
    +0
    PanAfrica, I will do better with posting articles. :) Still trying to get the hang of things here.

The link is a continuation of what was posted. When I read it I went to his other site that details his bike trip across Africa. I think he was raising money by taking pledges. His friend was a 9/11 victim and that's what inspired him to do this along with the scholarship fund on his website www.contribute2.org.

I agree

James, I don't understand the question.

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    what in the world is your point?
    why did you post this here?

10. Ellacott

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to try to answer but I'm still confused.

First, maybe you mistakenly think I am David Sylvester. I apologize for the confusion. Panafrica thought I was David Sylvester and gave me a suggestion on how to cut down on confusion.

Second, maybe it's because you think this is a dumb topic. I apologize for that also. Considering the fact that the N word is filtered on this board shows that there is some significance to the word, good or bad.

If you are of the opinion that this word is a negative word and that it is wrong that some in our community have embraced it then it would seem even more sad that it's being embraced all the way back to our Mother Land(sorry for the run on sentence).

It would also appear that the Hip Hop culture is having in influence on Africa(as evidenced by the name of the store and the title of my post).

Since this dealt with Africa I chose to post it in the Panafricanism forum.

There were interesting comments made regarding it and I had hoped it would garner more comments and discussion. I was not aware of a store by this name especially in Africa and it was interesting. If it was interesting to me I thought it might be interesting to others, hence, the reason I posted it here.