Black Entertainment : Hip Hop Is Run By A White, Blonde, Australian Woman

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by UBNaturally, Sep 1, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Had to just create a different thread as it was necessary for this

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmci...run-by-a-white-blonde-australian-blonde-woman

Written by this fella here:
    headshot[1].jpg
    Hugh McIntyre

Notice Forbes (McIntyre) changed the Headline but did not change the title in the link above.

Dear Forbes: This Is Why Iggy Azalea Doesn't 'Run' Hip-Hop
    Posted: 05/21/2014 6:18 pm EDT Updated: 07/21/2014 5:59 am EDT
    [​IMG]

The Internet is currently on fire following a piece on Forbes that was initially titled "Hip Hop Is Run By A White, Blonde, Australian Woman" but was changed after the backlash forced Forbes to realize what an absurd claim they were making. The new title is "Hip Hop's Unlikely New Star: A White, Blonde, Australian Woman."

I'm annoyed for multiple reasons. Let's discuss them, shall we?

First off, I wouldn't go to an Iggy Azalea concert if it were happening on my front porch. While I understand (somewhat confusedly) that she does have something of a fan base, anyone who has any love for hip-hop is currently decrying the notion that this woman "runs" hip-hop. Or anything at all, really. But that's why the article title was changed, right? Because it (as the update reads) "did not accurately reflect the content of the piece." Nor does it affect, um, reality. So yeah, good choice, Forbes. But you're not off the hook.

Let's get into the article. Here is the author's reasoning for what he calls Iggy Azalea's "notable" "rise to prominence":

"Making a name for yourself as a woman and hip hop is laudable enough, forget the fact that she is a white, blonde, Australian woman. In a genre dominated almost exclusively by African American men she sticks out like a statuesque thumb."

Yes, making a name for yourself in hip-hop as a woman is laudable. But lauding Iggy Azalea here is ludicrous. The author seems not to understand the fact that it is precisely because Iggy Azalea is white and blonde that she has "made a name for herself" in hip-hop. White privilege has successfully floated her to the top of a genre where black women have fought for decades to be represented: her presence (and success) in hip-hop isn't a shining beacon for feminism, but for the power of whiteness and what it can accomplish.

Read more...

and another article:
    http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2014...ite-hip-hop-declares-iggy-azalea-running-rap/

Iggy Azalea Clears Up ‘Runaway Slavemaster’ Lyric: ‘It Was A Tacky And Careless Thing To Say’

[​IMG]
    Is Iggy Azalea racist?

[​IMG]

Probably not but that has been the pending question ever since she became the first rapper to appear on XXL’s Freshman Class cover which made her competitor, harlem-bred Azaelia Banks, blast Iggy for a questionable lyric in one of her records. In the song titled ‘D.R.U.G.S’ Iggy spit the following lines:

Tire marks, tire marks, finish line with the fire marks
    When it really starts I’m a runaway slave…master

It doesn’t really help that Iggy Azalea had never clarified the lyrics in her interviews even after Azealia contined to raise havoc over an urban rap publication’s decision to put a ‘white rapper’ who calls herself a ‘runaway slavemaster’ on their cover. Thankfully, Blogger Miss Jia reached out to Iggy to clarify what she meant by the lyrics and Iggy not only wrote up an explanation but also an apology for anyone who could have taken the lyrics out of context. She writes:

Dear world,

I’m writing you today to address a lyric I said a few months ago in one of my songs that I feel has been used to unfairly slander my character and paint me as a racist person.

Kendrick Lamar is one of my favorite artists and I loved his song ‘Look Out for Detox’ so much I decided to do my own version of it last year. The lyrics I wrote follow the original version closely; One lyric in particular has offended a lot of people and for that, I apologize.

The artist’s lyric was:

“when the relay starts I’m a runway slave”
    My lyric was:

“when the relay starts I’m a runaway slave…Master, sh-tting on the past gotta sp-t it like a pastor
    This is a metaphoric take on an originally literal lyric, and I was never trying to say I am a slave owner.

The intent was to say was that past histories have been mastered, or overcome, and that you may feel my line was:

‘sh-tting on the past,’ just as many feel pastors sh-t on the bible or biblical history…although they mean no ill and just have their own take, hence the lyric ‘gotta spit it like a pastor.’
    In all fairness, it was a tacky and careless thing to say and if you are offended, I am sorry. Sometimes we get so caught up in our art and creating or trying to push boundaries, we don’t stop to think how others may be hurt by it. In this situation, I am guilty of doing that and I regret not thinking things through more.

Read more at http://necolebitchie.com/2012/03/ig...nd-careless-thing-to-say/#uoo9SpP4UqvGpaIM.99

Shaking my head at this attempt at an explanation.
    She also drops the lyric "boss like Cohen", referring to mafia boss Mickey Cohen:
    [​IMG]

And what did Cohen do, shake down many other entrepreneurs that had started what he wanted to take over.

Brother oldsoul touched on this some as well, when the lottery was ran by people of color in Chicago until gangsters like Cohen began to murder off his threats to take it over.

Regardless, Iggy sounds just as sharp as when Nicki Minaj said black people (BET) now own their own network...

lookin-a-nicki-minaj-cover.png

"I thank God that I've been place in a position to do something and represent women"

nicki-minaj-lookin-as-ni-lyrics.jpg
    And this is the song that Nicki comes out to?

"This is so big, at one time black people was getting blacked out on the TV now they own their own network, this is big this is different!"

Who is they??

And BET was a black owned network when it hit the screen in 1983, it was sold to a white owned conglomerate in 2001:

In 2001, the network lost its status as a black-owned business when it was bought by media conglomerate Viacom for $3 billion. In 2005, Johnson retired from the network, turning over his titles as president and chief executive officer to former BET vice president Debra L. Lee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Honestly can't tell the difference though, Lil Kim phased out the rapping Barbie doll 15+ years ago...

[​IMG]

And Lil Kim had skills, but still wasn't feeling her that much because of the raunchy lyrics and overdone appearance for the sake of attention.

So the female rap game is down to two barbie dolls?
    Hide the children

2. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    This:

or this:

Remix...

How is Izzy (that's her new name from now on) running hip hop, has she talked to Rah Digga ?
    Oh how I wish Rah would just do one track on Iggy and settle this the old fashion way.

Get her Rah!

3. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    After reading through so much different informationals in 2 posts (lol), glad I remembered this:

Sums it up nicely. :)

4. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Apologies... used to writing and composing editorials of my own at times and can get long-winded when attempting to touch all bases using varying angles.

But appreciate that people do still read and grasp the content within... *soul hug*
    :)

5. I'm Becoming Me

I'm Becoming Me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Lover & Fighter...
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    I swear I had no clue who Iggy was until that other thread. I pay hardly any attention to today's music..

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    image.jpg The "Runaway Slave Master "

7. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Speaking of Rah, she must have heard me thinking about this or something

Iggy Azalea Responds to Rah Digga's Comments Via Twitter

upload_2014-11-21_6-9-8.png

Rah Digga Responds To Iggy Azalea's Tweets

upload_2014-11-21_5-37-19.png

Rah gave props to C. James?

Crazy how this video reminds me of MC Lyte's Cha Cha Cha

Not sure how I feel about this.
    How you gonna sample the baseline, video, and concept of a classic... even down to the chain?

upload_2014-11-21_6-5-16.png

What games is this Media Industrial Complex playing???
    Some serious coding or recoding going on.

But somewhere down the line, "Snoop Lion" jumped into the fray...

Snoop get hold of some of that "bad stuff"?