Black People : Hip Hop: A blessing or a curse?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Knowledge Seed, May 31, 2008.

1. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    I was just thinking about how much Hip Hop is blamed for the problems in the Black community. In the same token many people such as Jay Z, who claim Hip Hop as their culture, donate loads of money to their community. As a matter of fact, many of the most important figures in Hip Hop are known for their Philanthropic efforts. Are the positive things never mentioned, because the media wants to portray a negative image of something that could potentially uplift the original people of the world? Does the negative image of Hip Hop over shadow the positive one?

Let me know what yall think

2. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    As always, you have to consider the folks complaining.

If you don't like it, change the station. I don't care for heavy metal, and I'd be hard pressed to give you ANY lyric. But I respect the right for folks to do what they do.

3. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    Do you think the Hip Hop community is unfairly stereotyped?

4. rasembi aunk

rasembi aunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Ya **** skippy!!

The individuals who criticize hip hop for being negative are mentally flatlined. All anyone who has an ounce of brain would have to do is research a little bit and see that there is just as many positive artists as there as there are gangster acts. These dummies just don't see that there has been a conspiracy to showcase the negative aspects of hip hop over the positive in order to pollute the minds and spirits of the youth, yet at the same time making black youth "be perceived" to be worse than they are.

5. PLATINUMILLITY1

PLATINUMILLITY1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full Time Student and Independant Buisness Owner
    Ratings:
    +38
    I agree with Rasembi....just not in the same words....LOL
    I believe it was some thing positive though
    but have become something forgotten...
    Of cousr people always trying to reminice about something..
    but in everyday life...hip hop has been lost..
    The stereotypes came from being profiled from gangter rap...
    Hip Hop MC'ing was not the cause of it....
    Baggy pants, bandanas, and caps came form Rap music.....that is how you look if you are a thug...
    But Ever African Nature Person related to the Clothes and Life......so to "Others" we ALL were Gangters, thugs, and Hoodlums...

They didnt know any dag on Better

6. Yardlee

Yardlee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I luv hiphop more than any other type of music. There is positive and negative in anything and its the same with hiphop. Some of the stereotypes are unjustified and some are justified. As someone already posted, if they don't like it, simply change the dial, tuner, or press a different button. Heavy metal has just as many negative stereotypes.

7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Depends on the 'artist'. From myspace.com I have become familiar with positive hip hop artists from around the globe who get no airtime in this country. It also depends on the demographic. On the west coast hip hop has gotten a bad name especially now with the demise of Tha Row and Suge Knight. In the south every 20 minutes its Lil Wayne and 'Lollipop', Bun B or Rick Ross. Not much positivity to speak of there. Only think I see even positive in the Billboard top 100 is the new release by the Roots. In Atlanta there's a good public broadcast station that plays some positive artists suh as Purple St. James during the weekdays. So, I would say that to varying degrees YES the 'negative image of hip hop overshadows the positive'.

8. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    True indeed. In my opinion Hip Hop is wonderful everywhere, except in America. This is where it was birthed at, but this is also the place where it gets the most criticism at.

9. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    Do you think Hip Hop can be a potentially mobilizing force for future generations?

10. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Pardon my taking exception to part of your post.

"Baggy pants, bandanas, and caps" did NOT come from Rap music. At least not on the west coast. This was 'original guerilla' attire long before we knew what hip hop CULTURE was about long before 'gangsta rap' was born.

Second point I want to make here is something I have stated in these forums before.

Rap music focuses on the MC. HIP HOP focused originally on Djing, or turntablism. Take early KRS. What would BDP have been without Scott LaRock? What happened to PE without Terminator X? What is Run DMC without Jam Master Jay? Who is Kool G Rap without DJ Polo? Take Ice T. Even folks on the West Coast said he was wack (Terry's from Jerzee anyway). He had one of the most underground DJ's in the game. Evil E.

Even taking a closer look at NWA it was nothing without Dre and Yella, both of whom worked or networked with the Wrecking Crew and hip hop on the West Coast took off thanks to a DJ network known as Uncle Jam's Army. That's who first brought Whodini, LL, Run DMC, BDP and Kurtis Blow to the west coast.

Kurtis Blow probably was the first DJ who actually recorded and produced as a 'rapper'. With the possible exception of Bambatta. But Bambatta was more 'techno' (sampled from Kraftwerk) while Blow's cuts such as 8 Million Stories was straight 'rap'. From Kurt we get LL. Remember his style? He wasnt sporting bandanas, dickies, 501s or baggy pants. Kangols and warm up suits (Kangols are basically golf hats).

A lot ot these discussions that tend to focus on 'gangsta rap' as a cause of demise are missing a close look at 1986. And LL.

Peace.