Black People Politics : Hillary Clinton Isn't Only Against Reparations, She Accepted Money from Prison Lobbyists

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Liberty, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,254
    [​IMG]

First and foremost, Ta-Nehisi Coates is a brilliant journalist and I agree with him on
    the case for reparations. Everyone should read his groundbreaking piece in The Atlantic titled The Case for Reparations. It highlights why the African American experience is unique in every way, from slavery and Jim Crow, to the Civil Rights era and today's lasting effects in the black community from such devastating chapters in U.S. history.

Like Coates, I too wish Bernie Sanders,
    Hillary Clinton and Martin O'Malley would support reparations (especially since African Americans vote over 90 percent Democrat), however this isn't the case. For the record, I support reparations.

However, when Coates asks why Bernie Sanders fails to address white supremacy, and completely ignores Hillary Clinton's
    "abysmal" record on racial justice, as well as numerous other ties held by both Clintons to the structural injustices currently faced by African Americans, Latinos, and other communities, then some context is needed.

There's only one leading Democratic candidate in 2016 who embodies white supremacy, privilege and financial ties to the economic and political system defining these concepts. The other leading Democratic candidate is named Bernie Sanders, and his political philosophy has been likened to Martin Luther King's by
    Dr. Cornell West, Ohio State Senator Nina Turner, and rap artist Killer Mike.

Therefore, let's look at why Hillary Clinton, not Bernie Sanders, should be singled out as furthering white supremacy and privilege.

Hillary Clinton ran a controversial 3 a.m. ad against Barack Obama in 2008 that Harvard's Orlando Patterson believes contained a
    "racist sub-message." Upon viewing the images within Clinton's political advertisement, Patterson wrote that "I couldn't help but think of D. W. Griffith's 'Birth of a Nation.'"

Read more

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/hillary-clinton-reparations_b_9047760.html

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  2. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    Thanks for posting this.

This government is obviously flawed.

3. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    13 Mainstream Corporations Benefiting from the Prison Industrial Complex

Prison labor in the United States is referred to as insourcing.

Under the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC), employers receive a tax credit of $2,400 for every work-release inmate they employ as a reward for hiring “risky target groups.

The workers are not only cheap labor, but they are considered easier to control. They also tend to be African-American males. Companies are free to avoid providing benefits like health insurance or sick days. They also don’t need to worry about unions, demands for vacation time, raises or family issues.
    equipment assembly services;
    93 percent of paints and paintbrushes;
    92 percent of stove assembly;
    46 percent of body armor;
    36 percent of home appliances;
    30 percent of headphones/microphones/speakers; and
    21 percent of office furniture.
    Airplane parts,
    medical supplies and much more:
    prisoners are even raising seeing-eye dogs for blind people.”

With all of that productivity, the inmates make about 90 cents to $4 a day.

Here are some of the biggest corporations to use such practices, but there are hundreds more:
    Whole Foods
    McDonalds
    Wendeys

Walmart
    Starbucks
    Sprint
    Verizon Wireless
    Victor Secrets
    Fidelity investments
    JcPenny
    American Airline
    Avis

I'm sure most everyone on Destee know these things. Just like to put it out there as a reminder. Always on my mind.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  4. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,254
    Exactly! This is modern day slavery. It is easy to think that you or one of your beloved could never get caught up in this system, because you're law abiding citizens. But, looking at the statistics and many of the cases, that could just be wishful thinking. My city has FIVE prisons!