Health and Wellness : Higher blood pressure threshold OK in older adults

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Wellness,

Higher blood pressure threshold OK in older adults

CHICAGO (AP) — Many older adults with high blood pressure can be treated less aggressively, which could mean taking fewer pills to get it under control, according to new treatment guidelines from an expert panel. But not all experts are on board with the advice — including the federal agency that appointed the group.

Panel members stressed that they are not changing the definition of high blood pressure: 140 over 90. For adults aged 60 and older, they are recommending a higher treatment threshold, prescribing medicine only when blood pressure levels reach 150 over 90 or higher.
    Too aggressive blood pressure treatment can cause fainting and falls in older patients, or bad interactions with drugs they're already taking for other illnesses, panel members said.
    The panel does endorse the lower target of 140 over 90 for younger adults — and for all adults who also have diabetes or kidney disease.

http://news.yahoo.com/higher-blood-pressure-threshold-ok-older-adults-141027508.html

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Wellness,

CONDITION CARE GUIDE

What therapies does Dr. Weil recommend for high cholesterol?
    Dr. Weil recommends making the following lifestyle and dietary changes in order to lower high cholesterol levels:
    1. Lose weight. Even a modest amount of weight loss can lower cholesterol levels.
    2. Reduce the amount of sugar and flour in your diet. Recent evidence indicates that added sugar - in the form of table sugar (sucrose) or high-fructose corn syrup - is probably a greater contributor to heart disease than is consumption of saturated fat. This suggests that the inflammatory hypothesis may in fact have more validity than the conventional lipid hypothesis, although the debate is far from settled. As a general rule, Dr. Weil advises against consuming foods with added sugars, particularly soft drinks and highly processed snack foods, which can cause rapid spikes and dips in blood sugar levels. The result can be overeating, obesity and heart disease.
    3. Avoid trans-fatty acids. These heart-damaging fats can reduce HDL ("good") cholesterol levels and raise levels of LDL ("bad") cholesterol. The tip-off that trans-fatty acids are present in foods is the listing of "partially hydrogenated oil" on a food's ingredient list. Trans-fats are found in many brands of margarine and in most heavily processed foods, as well as in snack foods such as chips, ******** and cookies, and in the oils used to cook fast-food French fries, doughnuts and movie popcorn.
    4. Exercise. Daily aerobic exercise can help increase HDL levels.
    5. Don't smoke. Smoking itself is a risk factor for heart disease. It can also significantly lower HDL cholesterol.
    6. Relax. Emotional stress may prompt the body to release fat into the bloodstream, raising cholesterol levels. Counter stress by practicing daily breathing exercises and other stress-reduction techniques such as yoga, meditation, guided imageryor tai chi.
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03028/High-Cholesterol.html

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Avoiding fast food helps. I have not lost rapid weight by doing most of the above, but lost 10 lbs. and -6% BMI over the past six months. A key to this is juicing, eating less meat and avoiding "combo" meals if I do eat fast good. Soft drinks are diet killers and especial cola products which are considered high risk contributors to colon and pancreatic cancer. As well as their high carb count. Thanks for sharing!

4. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    I stick to diet drinks when it comes to soda, but who knows that may be killing me in other ways. Too many things poisoning, studies can be arbitrary, "this is bad" can lead to "this can be beneficial in "certain" moderation", best gauge is yourself in my opinion. In my advancing age, I do realize certain items that seem non-beneficial and those that aid, not saying that I am in total accord on what should be consumed because that would be a flat out lie. My body will let me know before a study and publishing will and that is for [email protected] sure.

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I hear you. As a type 2 diabetic I rely on my own body's response and what works for me. I had a nutritionist once who had me switch to Splenda, but a co worker gave me some information linking Splenda and other artificial sweeteners with seizures. That explained why I used to get twitching in my legs and migraines. Here is one study.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/foodsafety/aspartame071905.cfm

Do what works best for you. I find many nutritional studies to be true. But that's just me. Proper diet and exercise are working for me.

6. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,165

Type 2 here myself. All I am saying is there is so much info being thrown out there and it may or may not help you, best to decipher what you can and if you cannot listen to your body as much as possible. :toast:

Although, I probably should not drink, but then again I never stated I was perfect. Threw that out there to keep it on the level.

7. crwn

crwn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +458
    These 2 plants can make your life more pleasant. They are also cheap.
    Guinea hen weed: A powerful Jamaican herb

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20111018/news/news4.html

Neem & Diabetes
    http://www.productosdeneem.com/neem-diabetes2.htm

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    It's all good. I spend more time these days health and fitness blogging and was just sharing. Your body knows best what works for you. Peace!

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Please keep sharing. I pass this kind of info along to my Twitter followers.

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075

Not a problem, will do ...