Black Education / Schools : High school student give teacher a lesson!

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by ru2religious, May 9, 2013.

1. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891

Short video but to the point.

I would like to make an observation on what was going on or what I saw in this video. If you were looking carefully you would have noticed that majority of those students in that class are African Americans. This teacher was sitting behind her desk just throwing work at them in the form of packets yet she was sitting on her butt.

The white boy who apparently isn't used to that form of mis-education had to stand up and make some noise because it appears that the black children were content. This little white boy busted that teacher out when he said "you said that your just here for a paycheck...". This is the attitude many AA's are faced with daily but it took a white-boy to expose the teacher for what she was doing and what generally happens in predominately black school and their teachers.

What is your take?

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Despite what skin color the kid is...he is right...and I hate lazy teachers...Having had taught in the education system I see this a lot...which is one of the reasons why I got out.

TEACHER: "Here is your assignment for the remainder of the day...read the directions at the top...turn it in when you are finish."
    (fiddles with the smartphone)

Moreover, now of days the kids have more days off then they did when I was in school...Every time I turn around my daughter is out of school. Why? Because they have "Staff Development Day"...I've been to these meetings and they eat, socialize and play games.

The point of our public education system today, is to dumb down our children.

3. BlackSunlight

BlackSunlight Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +91
    You both presented serious information that pulls alot of the covers off the education-system.

MsInterpet, what you said coincides alot with what I've heard really takes place in the schools behind the scenes and the vast-majority of people that tells me what's going on also work in the school-system as well. Thanks for being a true stand-up Sister.

R U 2 Religious, you gave very good analytical breakdown of the recorded incident and thanks for just simply posting the video, 'cause it d*mn-sure is needed.

I'm sure many are already familiar with this vid but I'd like to post it anyway because it goes along so much with the video in the OP...

4. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  5. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    There are arguments about this in lots of places.

It mostly comes down to the Authoritarians who say the kid is a long haired freak with no respect who should just shut up.

versus

The non or anti-authoritarians who say the kid is probably right.

6. magyarmaiden

magyarmaiden Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    Unfortunatly there are teachers who care more about money than anything else. I think teaching is one of the few proffesions where the person should put money on a second place, always behind the passion of teaching. I always remember the good teachers that got me motivated into learning and engaging in discussions. But i understand some teachers have different methodology when it comes to imparting their class, but to just sit your butt on a chair and give assigments without even talking to the class is just lazy.

This is a weird dichotomy for the U.S. You have some of the best universities in the world but the public education seems to be a huge dissapointment. It is one of the things I feel Europe is still way ahead of the U.S.

7. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I watched the "Say Cheese" interview. It clarified for me what and WHY it went down, and IMO it's not a matter of authoritarian vs non-authoritarian POVs. The teacher set the tone when the student asked a question and she told him to "quit bitchin'!" At that point (cursing instead of explaining or ignoring), she put herself on a level and confrontational course with the student.... and reaped the whirlwind.

I do find it interesting that the 18 year old is not only being called a "hero," but is receiving offers from NY network news programs to be on their shows. Nor was he "disciplined" by the school; to the contrary, the TEACHER was suspended and put on administrative leave.

:thinking: Wonder if this outcome would be different if the white boy who was a drop out and returned to school later, was an honors student who had never gotten into any trouble before black girl named Keira?

8. mywordsfly

mywordsfly Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +599
    My take is that people can't POSSIBLY believe that this teacher actually created those packets and worksheets. Seriously, she doesn't. I'm willing to bet she didn't print those off her home computer, and certainly didn't bring them with her to school.

I WILL ADMIT that there are a lot of teachers who halfass their jobs. That is because what is expected of them is zilch. The job literally at this point entails showing up, trying to finish paperwork you are given, and attempting to get a bunch of kids who know this is useless to listen to you. The dream job. I'm sure they are in it for the money :rolleyes:

What teacher writes her own curriculum anymore? What school? Do you think she makes up the SATs too?

Honestly, I teach PRESCHOOL and I am given worksheets to give the kids. I have no say. If worksheets don't get done, I get talked to about the expectations of parents and that they need to see what we do all day. I try to explain that it is preschool. That they are real people, so perhaps a realer method-- a hands-on method could be better.
    I was trained in a hands on method with zero worksheets (Montessori), and therefore could implement to perfection. Does this matter? No.

Do you know what I am told? That if I don't like it I can go open my own school.

Now let's talk about THAT for a second. Opening a school--here in the US where I live. Privately owned school are more of a joke than public ones, because anything for-profit means they are cutting corners in some way so that they can make the maximum money off you people. And foolish people mistake the exclusivity that comes from their "lottery" and "admission tests" for real education that will benefit their children. All that says is that they have the pick of you who think it will be better than the public school system. That is all.

And FURTHERMORE how the hell much do you think a public school teachers make? Do you think all teachers are rolling in Benjamen's when they go home? Are you all serious? Community college professors don't make squat--how will the teacher of this 18 year old white kid be making so much?

The PROBLEM is that she DOESN'T make anything and therefore her job is the equivalent of working at McDonald's. She wasn't hired to ENGAGE or even EDUCATE anyone. She is probably getting paid the least her boss is able to pay her for her education, and I'm sure she knows it.

As someone who is first-hand witnessing the plight of education in this country, I say don't blame the teachers.They are not writing their own job description. They just sign a paper to work and pay the bills like everyone else.
    Blame yourself for not living a lifestyle in which you could home school your children and make sure they are educated properly.

9. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    The teacher SAYS she's in teaching for a paycheck.
    She uses profanity when speaking to the students.

Can't imagine why everyone is picking on her. :news:

10. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204

That's the rule forTx school systems. The teacher whose reported must be put on leave