Black Relationships : High Maintenance and High Standards

Hello legit-writer!:wave:Welcome Back Home!

Being a women myself, I can't define the differences for men,
but from my observation I'll say, one is more confident, knows
what she wants, and demands it. The other is more passive,
accepting, and less demanding.

Now this may not be the differences men see. Perhaps the brothers
here will provide more insight for you.

Again, Welcome Back!

:heart:

legit-writer said:
A lot of men complain that women have too high of standards or are too high maintenance... My ex said that my standards were too high for him and all this jazz as to why he broke up with me and says he wants a woman with low standards. So tell me, what is the difference between the two....Thanks

Hmmm...Theres alot of room for speculation but going off of the catch phrases , buzzwords and jingles of mainstream culture I would say a high maintenance woman presents demands (most of the time non-verbal) that come from her own tenacity and self image (confidence). Alot of time a man don't feel like he got time to breath; feeling the obligation to "Keep up" and wrestling with feelings of inadequacy. All of those complications may exacerbate some insecurity (and ,I presume, nobody likes that feeling).

When a man openly admits to wanting low standards he usually wants to tuck tail and run either to the white woman or his stereotypical Asian women whom he thinks will placate and enable him. He will run to another black women with low self esteem to go with her low maintenance.

Just to be fair though.....A high maintenance women may be a crass materialist who has bought into the type A capitalistic drive that the europes have qualified for success. She might be overtly or inadvertantly trying to emasculate him and hammer him into some white male prototype. Struggling with the demands he lays on himself to figure it all out and salvage his identity, he may not need the pressure and want to seek a sister who has not bought into "Neo -Darwinism" (survival of the fittest/ competition) for one alittle more appreciative of his precarious plight. Hetepu

Well, high maintenance and high standards do not go hand in hand.

when I hear of people talk about high maintenance women.. it's used negatively, implying the woman requires too much "care".. whether that be physically (must have the right shoes, right model, right make-up, right hair - image is everything) or emotionally (constantly needing emotional support, cant make desicions etc) that the man feels he is giving too much of his time, energy and money on things that are not of equal importance between them.

When I hear people tak of high standards, it's usually used positively - in a moral setting (correctness etc), or physical (cleanliness etc)

Personally, I wouldnt bat an eye if a man left me because my standards were too high. I might think twice if he felt my maintanence was. Oh yeah - he could still go.. hahaha - but I'd likely reflect on the comment.

legit-writer said:
A lot of men complain that women have too high of standards or are too high maintenance... My ex said that my standards were too high for him and all this jazz as to why he broke up with me and says he wants a woman with low standards. So tell me, what is the difference between the two....Thanks

High maintenance and high standards are mutually exclusive. High maintenance means you require a lot of effort. The only question is, are you worth it. Hiigh standards means that you think well of yourself. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you measure up.

That being said, are you worth it? There are plenty of beer women claiming to be champaigne ladies, if you catch my drift? Are your standards realistic? Can you meet them yourself?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back