Science and Technology : High Fructose Corn Syrup makes you stupid.. and insulin resistant.. THROW IT OUT.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by skuderjaymes, May 17, 2012.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Sugar makes you stupid: Study shows high-fructose diet sabotages learning, memory

A new UCLA rat study is the first to show how a diet steadily high in fructose slows thebrain, hampering memory and learning — and how omega-3 fatty acids can counteract the disruption. The peer-reviewed Journal of Physiology publishes the findings in its May 15 edition.
    "Our findings illustrate that what you eat affects how you think," said Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a professor of neurosurgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and a professor of integrative biology and physiology in the UCLA College of Letters and Science. "Eating a high-fructose diet over the long term alters your brain's ability to learn and remember information.
    While earlier research has revealed how fructose harms the body through its role in diabetes, obesity and fatty liver, this study is the first to uncover how the sweetener influences the brain.
    The UCLA team zeroed in on high-fructose corn syrup, an inexpensive liquid six times sweeter than cane sugar, that is commonly added to processed foods, including soft drinks, condiments, applesauce and baby food. The average American consumes more than 40 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup per year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
    "We're not talking about naturally occurring fructose in fruits, which also contain important antioxidants," explained Gomez-Pinilla, who is also a member of UCLA's Brain Research Institute and Brain Injury Research Center. "We're concerned about high-fructose corn syrup that is added to manufactured food products as a sweetener and preservative."
    Gomez-Pinilla and study co-author Rahul Agrawal, a UCLA visiting postdoctoral fellow from India, studied two groups of rats that each consumed a fructose solution as drinking water for six weeks. The second group also received omega-3 fatty acids in the form of flaxseed oil and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which protects against damage to the synapses — the chemical connections between brain cells that enable memory and learning.
    "DHA is essential for synaptic function — brain cells' ability to transmit signals to one another," Gomez-Pinilla said. "This is the mechanism that makes learning and memory possible. Our bodies can't produce enough DHA, so it must be supplemented through our diet."
    The animals were fed standard rat chow and trained on a maze twice daily for five days before starting the experimental diet. The UCLA team tested how well the rats were able to navigate the maze, which contained numerous holes but only one exit. The scientists placed visual landmarks in the maze to help the rats learn and remember the way.
    Six weeks later, the researchers tested the rats' ability to recall the route and escape the maze. What they saw surprised them.
    "The second group of rats navigated the maze much faster than the rats that did not receive omega-3 fatty acids," Gomez-Pinilla said. "The DHA-deprived animals were slower, and their brains showed a decline in synaptic activity. Their brain cells had trouble signaling each other, disrupting the rats' ability to think clearly and recall the route they'd learned six weeks earlier."
    The DHA-deprived rats also developed signs of resistance to insulin, a hormone that controls blood sugar and regulates synaptic function in the brain. A closer look at the rats' brain tissue suggested that insulin had lost much of its power to influence the brain cells.
    "Because insulin can penetrate the blood–brain barrier, the hormone may signal neurons to trigger reactions that disrupt learning and cause memory loss," Gomez-Pinilla said.
    He suspects that fructose is the culprit behind the DHA-deficient rats' brain dysfunction. Eating too much fructose could block insulin's ability to regulate how cells use and store sugar for the energy required for processing thoughts and emotions.

Full article:
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-05-sugar-stupid-high-fructose-diet-sabotages.html

2. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    What medical conditions are associated with insulin resistance?

Type 2 Diabetes
    Overt diabetes may be the first sign that insulin resistance is present. While it can be noted long before diabetes develops, in cases where there is reluctance or inability to see a physician regularly, insulin resistance can present as type 2 diabetes.
    Cirrhosis of the liver
    Liver Cancer
    Heart Attack
    Heart Disease
    Stroke
    Skin Lesion
    Infertility
    Irregular menses
    Polycystic ovary disease
    Polycystic ovary disease is a hormonal problem that affects young women. It is associated with irregular periods or no periods at all, obesity, and increased growth of body hair.
    Hyperandrogenism
    High male hormone levels, which are produced by the ovaries can been seen in insulin resistance and may play a role in PCOS described above. Why this association occurs is not known, but it's thought that the insulin resistance somehow causes the abnormal ovarian hormone production.
    Growth abnormalities

source: http://www.medicinenet.com/insulin_resistance

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    :SuN034: don't eat it!

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    In my case, don't drink it!

But I continue to shorten my life span with each ginger ale or dr pepper.

Ironically, I take fish or cod liver oil supplements to boost the omega 3.

5. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  6. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    it's not so much me.. or even adults that concern me.. it's the kids.. most of these foods are marketed to kids.. families feed their kids sweet cereal in the morning.. all the sodas and candies and snacks are all working against their development. Funny thing is my grandmother used to tell us that all that candy will make you stupid.. she never gave us candy.. she had a garden in her backyard and fruit trees.. we always had something healthy.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    it is hard to stop. i thought i never could stop. but when i got diabetes and they showed me my sugar levels, i did stop.
    i am shocked that stuff i thought i had to have now i don't even want. after a time you forget about it.
    do not eat it!

8. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    you can't be stupid for the sake of being stupid anymore?. what has the world come to?

9. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    what does that mean?

10. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    I was just being facetious. Your post is exposes some hard truths. This "government" has know the high fructose corn syrup was POISON FROM DAY ONE, yet they still feed it to us. And I say feed because I'm agree with you something you've said on occasion we need our own. Our own source. Our own reliance.

Is there any other way to escape the wrath of this mutant anti hue-man we've been force to occupy earth with?

This ameriKKKan diet is poison. There's a saying if it's being mass produced and it's in a package, in all probability it is a package of poison.