Black People : High Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by phynxofkemet, Jun 5, 2008.

1. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    With hypertension and High Blood Pressure being more prevalent in Blacks worldwide (gee I guess the stress is getting to us?), can anyone recommend some literature that deals with this subject? Someone very close to me has high blood pressure and I'm concerned for them. They spend most of their time watching t.v (retired) and being around a hypercritical person who smokes! What to do? Maybe if they read about this from a "certified smart person" (lol) they can be empowered to change gears.

:run:

2. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    How to Eat to Live. (it's available free on line) ..

as a guide lil sis.....

I use to always have a stomache ache.....

really found out by reading this book how much gas sweet potatoes really have in them... now u know I can sit and eat like 2 sp pies in one sitting, but it had to go.......

3. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    Interesting note: Slaves on the middle passage weren't fed and given proper amounts of water. Slaves that had had normal blood pressure couldn't hold enough water in their bodies and died along the way. Most of us are descended from these slaves with high blood pressure! It is a similar story with sickle cell. It's an evolutionary trait that has allowed us to survive. I read that survivors of the Bubonic plague are paritally immune to the AIDS virus. White people get all the breaks.

4. MysteryDoors

MysteryDoors Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    How To Eat To Live
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_To_Eat_To_Live
    How To Eat To Live is a series of books published by Nation of Islam leader Elijah Muhammad in the 1960s, which are still in print. The books cover his philosophies on healthy eating and the Black Muslims' prescribed diet.

Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman
    http://www.drfuhrman.com/weightloss/about.aspx
    Eat To Live is not merely a weightloss book. This book is also targeted at those desiring to effectively prevent or reverse other chronic illnesses, such as diabetes, joint problems and high blood pressure. Also, this book is for those who just want to be in great health, maintain their youthful vigor, and physical and mental abilities into their later years. It is the real anti-aging way of eating.

5. tyab14

tyab14 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +78
    Peace sister,

An excellent herbalist/naturopath named Djehuty Ma'at Ra has a website where he gives tremendous amounts of information on this topic. I think How To Eat To Live is a good start but it would be better to heed some more "updated" information in my opinion.

Check the link: http://www.dherbs.com/articles/high-blood-pressure-179.html

6. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    cancer kills way more white folks than black people so i would not say that they get all the breaks...high blood pressure is directly attributed to physical diet and mental health...take care of those 2 things and ur str8...

one love
    khasm

7. tyab14

tyab14 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +78
    I agree.

8. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I think it depends on their age. The problems and conditions of their generation may not be the same as mine, which would warrant different methods of treatment.

For starters, I would encourage them to take brisk walks in mild temperatures, abstain from all high-sodium foods (little to no meat intake), a minimum of 8 hours of sleep, no more than 6 hours in front of the TV (Ouch! I know that hurts!), a substantial amount of water at room temperature [depending on their weight]; that would be a good start.

Hope this helps.

KWABENA

9. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Question about meat?

Sister Kwabena, when you recommend little meat, can he substitute fish instead or do you mean any animal product?

His diet is really very reasonable, from what I can tell. Maybe it's the exercise that he needs along with a change in his stress level.

10. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Well for one thing Beloved, I am not a Sister; on the contrary, I am a True Brotha...LOL!!!

Secondly, I am not too sure he is in need of protein (fish). Once again, that would depend on age group. However, if he does have fish, it should still not be a high amount. Moreover, based on what you said in the second paragraph, I feel that that should be the focus. Understand that diet and exercise go hand-in-hand like prayer and fasting; both are important, and the benefits are reduced without the other. Remember that food is really 'fuel;' you consume what you need as you need it. I would really recommend no meat at all, but being that he would need B12 in his system, I feel that meat is a better source than tablets. Not too much, but just enough. Also, when/if he eats meat (even if its fish), I recommend that he shall eat it alone (in other words, not eating meat and veggies or fruit at the same time).

Hope that helps. Please feel free to confront me again shall the need arise.

KWABENA