Science and Technology : Higgs boson scientists share physics Nobel prize

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gorilla, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Source: http://www.theguardian.com/science/...ze-physics-peter-higgs-boson-francois-englert

2. Fieldpea

Fieldpea Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +778

The GOD Particle.

Hey, Gorilla, do you think it OK to overstand the Higg's Bosun--it's ability to impart mass to otherwise massless particle 'potential'--do you think it OK to describe the Higg's effect to be that of a *breaking mechanism*?

By breaking mechanism, I mean to say that in collision with, or *absorption* of some of the Higg's bosun properties, potential mass *slows* in its potential speed to under C? Or am I mangling definitions up? Are sub-atomic particles moving at sub-light speed?

Man, how I can wish that, from back in the segregated '60s--how I now wish I had even a chance at learning something about physics at a young age--and all because of this one bosun. Just this one.

When I was in school, there were no physics classes offered to segregated kids (on the one hand), or poor Black kids in neighborhood highschools (on the other).

Lemme know if my question makes absolutely no sense, lol, and I'll give re-stating it a shot, OK?

One Love, and PEACE

3. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Disclaimer: I am not a physicist. I'm just a guy on the Internet.

It seems to make sense (calling the Higgs mechanism a symmetry breaking mechanism) when one is considering particles that interact with Higgs fields and the current model we have (mechanism models may vary). I have no idea what it ultimately means, though I am impressed how the standard model is holding up.

Physicists can explain it much better than I can so I'll just share this pretty cool video lecture from UC Berkley:

You seem to be pretty interested, so I would suggest taking advantage of some of the many resources available online to pursue your passion. That's how I try to follow along from my armchair, while brilliant people do the real work.

4. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    Fieldpea? Can we chat for a quick minute? I guess your analogy is right. Think of it this way. . .if you are a massless particle, you travel at the speed of light. Of course, if you are traveling at the speed of light, your relative speed is zero. Do you get that? So the higgs boson actually becomes the higgs field, because at speed zero, the particle is everywhere at once. The field is like a soup that particles that would otherwise be massless, interact with. Some particles interact more than others, thus creating the attribute of mass. The most massive they are, the most difficult they are to move, etc., etc.

But it doesn't matter, the found the Higgs boson, yet no one has an explanation of gravity. Our Ancient Africans knew. . . .long before European physics stepped onto the scene.

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    Welcome back my friend, did you think you'd get away with no one recognizing and appreciating your return?

No explanation needed maximtaim, just glad to see you back. :)
    mazimtaim

6. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50

:) Thank you sir. I am glad to see the forum is still going strong. I love Destee with all of my heart, brother.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

yvw ... absolutely, stronger than ever and much loved.