Computers - Software Hardware : Hierarchy: lowest to hightest

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by anAfrican, Jun 29, 2011.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    thinking about the question of "computer / internet hierarchy" for a couple days, i came up with this:

at the bottom end are discrete components; resisters, capacitors and diodes;

next would be circuits: transistors, logic gates, adders, comparators, filters built up of discrete components;

combining circuits creates subsystems: video generation, data storage, processing, displaying data and power supplies;

put the appropriate subsystems together and one gets general purpose computers and application specific computing devices (phones, gaming consoles, that thermostat on the wall, watches etc.);

connecting general purpose computers together (ethernet, apple talk, token ring, wireless) gives one a network whether it be a "local area network-LAN" such as one would find in a home or an office, a "metropolitan area network-MAN" such as used by cities, for example, to connect different departments of a municipality (police services [increasingly including patrol vehicles], courts, fire services, etc.), or a "wide area network-WAN" such as the internet.

2. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I think of computing more of areas of interest with tremendous overlap ...
    ... but your post above does make for a great conceptual diagram.

The only deficit is that it focuses primarily on the physical and hardware. Not so much on software, protocols, or even virtualization.

3. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    well, this is the "Computer Hardware" subforum, yes?[/I]

besides, gotta get the hardware down in order to introduce the concept of a "software hierarchy". (on-off signals to circuits/logic gates/latches put together in "groups" or "rows" such that the state of the signals on their collective inputs can be read as a long line of on-off [binary], or as a "shorter line" of hexadecimal, leading to an "address" being no more than the collective signals needed to "activate" particular circuits at particular times [the circuits that generate clock signals from the "alternating current" [ac] of the power line are quite interesting {an oscillator is also a circuit made up of discrete components}]. for that matter, an "assembly language" instruction, such as "stor", ultimately breaks down into a string of binary that tells different components whether they should be "on" or "off" controlling which data flows to/from which circuit.)

(been shakin my head watchin y'all's discussions: such an "interesting" mix of mostly, sort of and "well, almost".)

don't mind me; i'm a hardware guy: i know puters from a level lower than the chips!! actually right down to the physics of how/which direction electricity flows.

4. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    [kee-rist!! what with having to turn on javascript to edit and turning on colors to see the post tools and thinking i was far enough done with my edits to turn off both, i lost a chunk of this post!! <grrr> this ain't much fun at all ...]

5. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Indeed it is.