Science and Technology : Hidden smartphone setting maps your every move

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by anAfrican, Jul 10, 2014.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    SEATTLE -- It's supposed to provide iPhone users the ability to see where they've been, but a hidden setting could also allow someone with access to the device see where the user has been and map their movements.

It's called "locations services," and many applications use it to provide location-based information for various iPhone apps.

Customers with concerns about a phone recording and even broadcasting their location have learned to turn off location services for particular applications except those needed to enable mapping programs and security measures.

Those actions do not disable a deeper setting in the Apple IOS 7 mobile operating system which tracks a user's frequent locations. If the wrong person got his hands on that device and was able to access it, he can easily learn the daily habits of the phone's owner.

Students at the University of Washington volunteered their phones to see how easy it can be to see where the device has been. The frequent locations setting creates a map, and tapping on a specific locations reveals the dates and times of a particular visit and even how long you were there.

The students were taken aback that it was so easy to track their history.

"That's kind of crazy," Sebastian Aste said. "It's interesting how accessible your life can be."

"The chance that that would happen, that someone would take my phone and try and track me down seems really, really small," Abby Skifstad said. "But it makes me uneasy thinking about that."

Apple is not the only phone manufacturer with this kind of setting. Google does something similar with Android phones where opting in to any location based app, like Google Now or Google Maps, turns on the phone's location tracking.

more

2. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    We should not be surprised that White folk keep tabs with their property, be they people or material.

3. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    It's not really hidden at all. Google even allows you to look at this data itself that your phone has collected with location services.

Both operating systems have you opt in to use it and have easy ways to turn it off and explain what happens when you do.

On iOS 7 this is explicitly under the privacy tab too.

What they should note is that the precision is tracking much better with phones that now have GPS, GLONASS, and wifi network capability instead of just relying on radio contact with cell towers.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,734
    so why can't they find those missing sisters?

5. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    The thing that get me brutha G, is that I know many things can be turned on, off, and downloaded without our knowledge. There are programs already in tech. devices that all it take is the right signal to be transmitted.

Peace!

6. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    I have android. When hotspot is off, wifi turns on. Its constantly tracking and Im constantly turning it off. I go to Google Local/Maps and my whereabouts are right there. Route taken. Location. Duration of time spent there.

...but watch me lose the phone and have Sprint's customer care team apologize for being unable to locate it - 'unless I'd downloaded the app'. LOL

Which is good, I suppose, because it signifies that random people really dont have access to sensitive info.
    A security measure. Reminds me of a banking institution that holds some of my money. Whether on the phone or face-to-face, customer service cant access it.
    I'd like to think that the locator could be useful in an emergency. Maybe law enforcement could override protocols but not even the city police has that capability.
    One of the aides with whom I work had a daughter that was kidnapped (but returned safe and sound). That's how I know.
    Police couldnt locate her 'unless she'd downloaded the app'.

Certain apps will track when you give consent before downloading. It's really not a big deal. When its your time, its your time. If someone wants to hurt you, theyll find a way. They dont need a cellphone ... and sure as hell dont need a 'gun'. Im not worried about phantom entities tracking my whereabouts.
    I probably stand a greater chance of being sent careening off the overpass in a multicar collision sparked by slick roads and drunken driver or irate driver....

7. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    of course it's not hidden; the idea is for one to believe they've turned it off. if they feel that they have a reason to find it, they will ("suspected terrorist" .. [hey! next time the phone goes missing suggest that some "suspicious characters" were seen in the area that you last used it?])

were they palm springs valley girls, they'd have been in and out with the ladies and nobody left able to explain why they did it!

8. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    they always waz able to track people with the gps chip in the phone anyways - so cant say this news disturbs me any - id say itd probably disturb way more people to know that anyone with the right knowlege can turn on the mic and camera in the phone usin it as a bugin device

9. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Location Services is not hidden in any way.

while we're talking though.. banks all around the world have this new feature that could allow someone to withdraw all of your money from your account.. [ sinister music begins] it's called.. an Automatic Teller Machine card..

#watchyourback

10. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    :qqb005: ~runs off to get her money before THEY do~