The Front Porch : Hi all. Khadija here!

Thanks. I read the study group forums thread link. I will keep out of the Atheist study group. I still contend my question was as respectful as all get out. Like I said, I asked it of 2 atheists before. While they were surprised at the question, each took it in the spirit in which it was asked, i.e., as food for fodder rather than you're attacking me! The ONLY reason I asked in the first place was because it occurred to me that my humanity was shaped by my religious beliefs in God; that I am a higher being precisely because I have a soul. Animals don't have souls, ergo, without a soul, I would be on the exact same level as the meanest, vermin-filled rat scuttering about in the gutter. No better. No worse.

It could have occurred to me :thinking: but it DIDN'T: "but I would be no better in the scheme of things than a catepillar!" No, the rammifications of being an atheist, i.e., "no better/no worse" than any creature on earth, conjured up a stronger image in my mind, something not so "innoculous" as a catepillar, but a creature most black people revile. My thought, my reason for asking the question was to UNDERSTAND how my uber-intelligent atheist friends (one is a professor of economics) dealt emotionally with NOT being highest on the food chain, a place consigned us solely by religious belief. Science does not say humanity is the highest biological form that exists. Again, it is a place consigned us SOLELY by religious belief, i.e., belief in God.

Since both of my friends are former believers, I was curious as to how, in DISbelief, they reconciled themselves - emotionally, intellectually, howeva - to their loss of primacy in the animal world, to being of no more significance than a rat in the gutter.

And, if as self-proclaimed atheists they were NOT reconciled to animal-equality, i.e., to being no better/no worse than any creature, by what authority did they feel on a higher level than other animals.... than ANY animal.

Henceforth, I'll keep the hard questions to myself.... and out of forums where the ONLY people who can answer them "study."

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me the heads up.... and, stay out. :)

Kadijah ... i didn't read the posts that folk were saying might be in violation, and no one reported them, suggesting to me that the Family was just trying to give you a heads-up regarding that area ... as the rules are so tight in the Study Group Forums. The Members were probably sincerely trying to help, don't hold it against them.

In spite of the stringent environment of the Study Group Forums, you can ask all of your questions in the Main Spirituality Forum. You'll find if you do, many of the same Members will respond / take part in the discussion. In fact, as you mentioned, most received your queries in the Spirit they were given, and responded accordingly. All of this to say, the opportunity to get insight from others (adherents or otherwise) is still very available, should you want it.

It's interesting though, your opinion of atheists, as i've seen most every path (and its adherents) characterized in like manner by others ... i.e. ... vermin-filled rat scuttering about in the gutter ... though rarely does one self-describe in this manner. Yeah ... the Main Spirituality Forum would better fit such dialogue.

Please continue to ask questions if you have them, as we're all willing to help.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back