Pan Africanism : HHOMOSEXUALITY IN THE AFRIKAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY

You're welcome

Thank you Sister Lewa5 for being so cooperative. We already know that there are Black homosexuals and Black heterosexuals, and whenever the conversation addresses that topic you're always opening the door to include a religious, spiritual and African ancestral perspective. My question is, does the discussion of that add to or take away from our focus which is to empower and uplift our people?

Peace.

I had the same question NN "does this discussion/topic take away our focus of empowering black people"? I raised this issue in a similar thread, and I think that it is taking away the focus of this particular forum. A house divided can not continue to stand. And these continued topics on homosexuality and the supposed prejudice that our members have against it is distracting. Disagreeing with homosexuality does not make someone homophobic. Although I can't speak for everyone, I do not think the community at Destee is homophobic. In fact the subject has never come up in the PanAfrican forum until recently. It had not come up because it was a non-issue. Fighting for gay rights has nothing to do with the liberation of black people. It is a separate issue. Therefore I implore us to move on to another discussion.

I'm still trying to figure out why one has to accept one's sexual preferences in order to not be labeled "homophobic".

As NNQueen stated, that suggests a fear. Its not about fear its about not accepting a practice as natural or normal.

I don't have to accept your personal sexual practices as right, good or natural to accept you as part of the African community. Your sexuality is only part of you, I hope, if not, then there lies your problem.

ifasehun said:
You have some nerve ending your comments with "Ashe" - Yoruba/Orisa religion in its true African form does not condone lesbianism. Never has, and never will.

Did you know one of the requirements of being considered an Ancestors worthly of veneration upon your death was that you have to have had children? Now how can African propogate such a belief and still support homosexuality? Easy, we dont.

Alaafia abure Ifasehun,

You're absolutely right. Yoruba religion does not condone lesbianism. But you forgot to mention that it does not condemn lesbianism either. I have spoke with very old Babalawo about this, and they can point to no Odu that makes a mention of homosexuality. This does not mean that it is supported or not. It simply means that religiously it is not an issue. If the religion never will accept homosexuality as you say, does this mean that elders like Baba Abimbola and Baba Elebuibon were wrong for initiating gays and lesbians? I don't think we could ever say that these elders did something that goes against the foundation of their blood and culture. It is the Orisa who chooses people, and some of the people Orisa chooses are gay. I'm a lesbian, and have been chosen by Orisa from birth. I do not mean to cause any disruption, dissent, or stray from the issue of pan-Africanism which is the main focus. I just wanted to put this out there in the hopes that the Orisa community will stop hating other Afrikans because of who they love. It is divisive, and not at all conducive to pan-Africanism or the development of the Orisa community.

Ase.

Welcome Gift

Welcome to our forums Gift and thank you for your message. I hope you enjoy your time with us. Come visit us in Voice Chat and listen to our ******** radio station as you surf the web. We offer online classes in a variety of different subject areas, so check out the link. If you like what we are trying to do here with and for our community, we hope you will decide to become a financial supporter so that we can continue to be independent and offer more opportunities.

I look forward to your future posts!

Peace!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back