Pan Africanism : HHOMOSEXUALITY IN THE AFRIKAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by LEWA5, Oct 2, 2003.

1. LEWA5

LEWA5 Member MEMBER

nursing
    Ratings:
    +0
    I REMAIN VERY UNSETTLED BY THE FACT THAT OUR PEOPLE ARE SO HOMOPHOBIC I AM AN AFIKAN-AMEIRCAN 28 YR OLD LESBIAN I HAVE BEEN OUT SINCE 16 STILL HAD /HAVE A CHILD AND PLAN TO HAVE MORE , BUT THIS IS NOT ABOUT JUST ME. LESBIANISM HAS BEEN AROUND FOR AGES CHECK OUT RUTH ELLIS THE 100 YR OLD SOUTHERN LESBIAN AND THATS NOT EVEN THE TIP OF THE ICEBURGE WE ARE BEING BURRIED BY OUR OWN PEOLPLE THAT IS WHY AFRIKAN-AMERICAN LESBIAN WILL REMAIN IN THE CLOSET OR ONLY OUT TO A SELECT FEW FOR FEAR OF RIDICULE AND REJECTION. I AS WELL AS OTHER AFRIKAN AMERICAN LESBIANS WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS. I AM EQUALLY PROUD BEAING AFRIKAN-AMERICAN AS WELL AS LESBIAN WHY SHOULDNT I BE WE ARE A LARGE UNSEEN MOST TIMES UNHEARD PEOPLE WHY IS THIS?WE ARE HUMAN WE HAVE LOVE WE LIVE WE BREATHE WE EXIST EVEN THOUGH IT IS ASHAME THAT SOME OF US FEEL THAT WE CANNOT CO-EXIST WITH HETEROSEXUAL BEINGS. I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THAT I/WE ARE LEADING TO THE EXTINTION OF THE AFRIKAN AMERICAN RACE AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THIS .STILL I WARE MY PRIDE COLORS AS WELL AS THE AFRIKAN AND COLORS MY HAIR REMAINS LOCKED MY "BLAKCNESS" WILL NEVER FADE IN THE WAY I DRESS SPEAK WALK AND LIVE NIETHER WILL THE FACT THAT I AM A LESBIAN.LESBIANISM IS NOT A DISEASE AND IN MY OPINION IS JUST AS NORMAL AS A HETEROSEXUAL RELATIONSHIP. I DO BELIEVE THAT HOMOSEXUALITY WILL EFFECT THE WORLD BUT NOT WITH EXTINCTION OF THE HUMAN RACE.(PLEASE!)I AM AMAZED HOW PEOLPLE CAN BE SO CLOSED MINDED TO FREEDOM AND THE RIGHT TO PERSONAL PREFFRENCE AND CHIOCE BUT SO QUICK TO JUDGE WHEN THE ONLY TRUE JUDGE IS THE CREATOR.I PRAY FOR STRENGTH AND UNDERSTANDING AND I PRAY THAT YOU ALL ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS IN LIFE. ASHE :confused: :heart: :peace: :peace:

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Lewa5...you have the right to choose to be whomever you want to be but is it really necessary that you must shout who you are to us? If you are comfortable in your skin and with your lifestyle, what does it matter to you what other people think of you? Surely once you made your choice, you knew that you would receive criticism and strong opinions from those who disagree with your lifestyle. But still...even so...why are you so upset that you come here and blast your opinions at us like this?

Okay...you're lesbian and you're African American....so what? What's the purpose of this thread, just to get attention?

3. LEWA5

LEWA5 Member MEMBER

nursing
    Ratings:
    +0
    JUST RESPONDING

PEACE AND BLESSING NN QUEEN. WELL IT MAY SEEM AS IF IM BLASTING BUT I AM NOT ,MOST OF THE TIME I USE CAPITALS.SISTAH I ASSURE U I AM VERY COMFORTABLE WITH ME AND AM SURELY NOT LOKKING 4 ANY ATTENTION JUST UNDERSTANDING OF Y OUR PEOPLE R SO HOMOPHOBIC.SO REST ASURRED IT IS NOT THAT DEEP.
    BLESSING AND PEACE ASHE
    SHEM HOTEP

4. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Lewa5, thank you for explaining that you're not shouting when you write. Usually capital letters is an indication that the writer is shouting while wanting to make their point.

Knowing that now, maybe you should consider typing your future messages in small letters if your intention is not to convey hypersensitive communication.

Also, I certainly can't answer for everyone here on how they feel about homosexuality but I think it's safe for me to say that not everyone here is homophobic just because they might not agree with individuals who choose to live a homosexual or bisexual lifestyle. Phobias are an indication that something is feared. There are people here who don't support homosexuality for many reasons but fear may not be one of them.

Peace.

5. LEWA5

LEWA5 Member MEMBER

nursing
    Ratings:
    +0
    thankyou

Peace and Blessings NN Queen I thankyou for letting me know that about the capitals i never thought of it that way I will take your advice when i post. And you r absolutely right phobia does imply fear. Its just that when i tell people or let them know by way of similar conversation that i am in the life they become so ridgid and yes i do know that not everyone is like that so i guess i will move on.Thankyou again. May the Ancestors kiss your eyelids. blessings and peace. Ashe.:toast: :heart: :) :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

6. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    You're welcome

Thank you Sister Lewa5 for being so cooperative. We already know that there are Black homosexuals and Black heterosexuals, and whenever the conversation addresses that topic you're always opening the door to include a religious, spiritual and African ancestral perspective. My question is, does the discussion of that add to or take away from our focus which is to empower and uplift our people?

Peace.

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I had the same question NN "does this discussion/topic take away our focus of empowering black people"? I raised this issue in a similar thread, and I think that it is taking away the focus of this particular forum. A house divided can not continue to stand. And these continued topics on homosexuality and the supposed prejudice that our members have against it is distracting. Disagreeing with homosexuality does not make someone homophobic. Although I can't speak for everyone, I do not think the community at Destee is homophobic. In fact the subject has never come up in the PanAfrican forum until recently. It had not come up because it was a non-issue. Fighting for gay rights has nothing to do with the liberation of black people. It is a separate issue. Therefore I implore us to move on to another discussion.

8. Deepa

Deepa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm still trying to figure out why one has to accept one's sexual preferences in order to not be labeled "homophobic".

As NNQueen stated, that suggests a fear. Its not about fear its about not accepting a practice as natural or normal.

I don't have to accept your personal sexual practices as right, good or natural to accept you as part of the African community. Your sexuality is only part of you, I hope, if not, then there lies your problem.

9. GIFT

GIFT New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0

Alaafia abure Ifasehun,

You're absolutely right. Yoruba religion does not condone lesbianism. But you forgot to mention that it does not condemn lesbianism either. I have spoke with very old Babalawo about this, and they can point to no Odu that makes a mention of homosexuality. This does not mean that it is supported or not. It simply means that religiously it is not an issue. If the religion never will accept homosexuality as you say, does this mean that elders like Baba Abimbola and Baba Elebuibon were wrong for initiating gays and lesbians? I don't think we could ever say that these elders did something that goes against the foundation of their blood and culture. It is the Orisa who chooses people, and some of the people Orisa chooses are gay. I'm a lesbian, and have been chosen by Orisa from birth. I do not mean to cause any disruption, dissent, or stray from the issue of pan-Africanism which is the main focus. I just wanted to put this out there in the hopes that the Orisa community will stop hating other Afrikans because of who they love. It is divisive, and not at all conducive to pan-Africanism or the development of the Orisa community.

Ase.

10. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Welcome Gift

Welcome to our forums Gift and thank you for your message. I hope you enjoy your time with us. Come visit us in Voice Chat and listen to our ******** radio station as you surf the web. We offer online classes in a variety of different subject areas, so check out the link. If you like what we are trying to do here with and for our community, we hope you will decide to become a financial supporter so that we can continue to be independent and offer more opportunities.

I look forward to your future posts!

Peace!