Black Poetry : Her Worth

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by csojourner, Sep 10, 2006.

1. csojourner

csojourner Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Her Worth

I remember as if it were yesterday, or perhaps a thousand years before yesterday. He asked me that one question—you know the one: “What’s wrong?” I hate that question. Some people really shouldn’t ask questions, especially when they aren’t prepared for the answer. So I smiled and replied.
    Do you believe in the Rapture? Well, anyway, take notice; I am telling you a secret. We shall not all die but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet call. For the trumpet will sound and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall all be changed.
    You look puzzled; perhaps I should explain it a different way: There will be a time when the old shall pass away and all shall be made anew. Yes, exactly, like a paradigm shift. Well, that’s what’s going to happen to one of you, and when it does, all will be different—and perhaps not in a good way. So listen closely because I’m too tired to be wasting words.
    She’ll leave you; you know that, don’t you? Perhaps not today and perhaps not for a thousand years, but someday she’ll leave you. She’ll be sitting in a café, or driving down the interstate between been there and done that, or she may be leading a marching band across some fake grass field on Superbowl Sunday. The when and how is of little consequence; the point is it will come to her and her alone, and when it comes it will be bold and pronounced void of shame and apology. It will arrive in the form of a statement, the time for questions will have passed away. And when it’s ready, it will proclaim:
    Know Your Worth, Know Your Worth, Know Your Worth and she will.
    And suddenly she will gather herself and turn towards the East; she will then rise and join the ever-increasing choir of traveling angels. You know the ones who speak of truth and worth. You look pleased; you shouldn’t, for she will never return to you. Why should she? You never knew her worth. No, in the twinkle of an eye she shall be gone—and you will be sad.
    But, then again, it might happen another way, perhaps not today and perhaps not for a thousand years, but someday, someday you will leave her. You’ll be sitting in a café, or driving down the interstate between been there and done that, or you may be leading a marching band across some fake grass field on Superbowl Sunday. The when and how is of little consequence; the point is it will come to you and you alone, and when it comes it will be bold and pronounced void of shame and apology. It will arrive in the form of a statement, the time that/when questions will have passed away. And when its’ it’s ready, it will say:
    Know Her Worth, Know Her Worth, Know Her Worth and you will.
    But before you depart with your new-found sense of knowing, that ever- increasing choir of traveling angels will proclaim, “Rejoice, for you are the Omega; before you there were many, after you there shall be no more.” And you will know that you are special, chosen the last of many to hear the voice. Then you will remember their first proclamation, “Know Her Worth,” and you will rise, turn towards the East, and rush to her in exaltation. She will be waiting, although not for you; she stopped waiting for you a thousand years ago, perhaps a little more. But your newfound sense of knowing prevents you from seeing this, so in jubilation you will proclaim:
    I Know Your Worth, I Know Your Worth, I Know Your Worth.
    And with the weight of a thousand worlds on her shoulders, she will turn to you slowly, and simply ask, “What is My Worth, What is My Worth?” And then you will remember the choir of angels’ second proclamation, “Rejoice for you are the Omega; before you there were many, after you there shall be no more.” Yes, that’s right, the choir of angels has made their last appearance, the curtain is closed, the house is dark and you and you alone took in the final show. And so you stand there knowing that you are the Omega, the last to receive visitation, and therefore she will never know her worth, and that makes you sad, very sad.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    interesting twist of worth upon the final call.

3. Sweet baby_face

Sweet baby_face Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student by day, Poet by night
    Ratings:
    +7
    very thought provoking.
    :welldone: poet.

4. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161