Black Short Stories : Her Time...Her Money...Her life

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by MsInterpret, Feb 16, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I had to get home NOW, but first I had to get off this laboring job. 4:30 am Monday through Friday. Get off at 2:30 pm and get off...Minimum wage, $5.60 an hour...I never eat lunch at work so when I get off I stop by Joe's Diner and pick up a BLT. $3.59 plus tax. I never had time to actually sit down and have the luxury of enjoying my sandwich, 'cause I had to be by Shay's house to pick up Rodney by 3:30. $25.00, plus I did her hair when I could. The transit was always running late again. There's never no seats at the bus stop. My feet are always sore from all that standing and heavy lifting. 40 hours, 40lbs or more. The bus finally arrives. 3:02, I got 28 minutes. Last to get on the bus, and still no where to sit. For a $1.25 fare. The smell of hard working people mix with the heat of the sun. Smells like people baking in their own sweat. 3:41, I'm late and Shay's mad again. $25.00. She wants more for the extra time. Bull...Grab Rodney and get back on the bus. Dang, my transit ticket expired. Another $1.25. I look at my watch. I had to be my other job. Starts at 5:30. Late again. Hope my boss don't fire me. Still had to fix Rodney dinner and wait for my mom to get off work and watch him. He's hungry. Dang, didn't Shay feed this boy. Run upstairs. A notice on the door. The electric company. $372.11. Shut-off notice. Now I gotta use the payphone to call Moms to see if she can come early. Payphone two nickles, a dime, and 5 pennies. Good she's coming. We wait outside. Here she is. 4:45pm. I run inside and manage to find my uniform in the dark. Out the door. Bus fare. $1.25. I arrive at the restaurant. I'm late. 3:38. Time to change in the bathroom. Fix hair. Put on make up. 12:22 am. I'm off. $5.05 an hour, $38.00 in tips. Gotta do it again tomorrow.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    whoaaaa!!!
    and to think right back at it again tomorrow....great story line can't wait to read more

3. sarcasm4eva

sarcasm4eva Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    ****, tyte story.unfortunately alot of people go through this on a daily basis.i got tired just from readin.lol. i know there's more, so dont keep us waiting.

4. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    A hard working woman and a single parent. I always commend those women for handling their business. No matter how hard, how long, how tiring...they do what needs to be done.