Honoring Black Ancestors : Henry L. Johnson a.k.a Black Death - Fends Off Captors in WWI

My opinion is that as a race,we're very humble. We
don't see our works as being anything special. We, on a whole, feel we're more in the supporting role rather
than a starring role. We feel that it's our job to do what needs to be done without accolades.

I have to disagree with this statement.
As individuals, some if not most of us, could be considered "humble".
There are black people in this world who are not humble people.
Put oneself in a situation, (black, white, yellow, red, whatever) where your life is on the line like in this story or in any other similar story, one's true self is revealed. One could say, "Well if I was in this situation I would do this..."...No one really knows until that situation arises.

And after that comes the real test of who one is....Fame and notoriety...
Most heroes don't tell their story, it's usually the victim, the one who got save, or the witness that saw it, tells it. Then the hero becomes famous for what he/she has done....then it's how they handle it.

For example, do they tell all the press about what happened, and repeat the story over and over again, to make sure everyone knows who they are?
"Did I ever tell you about the time where I.....?"

Some people want to be recognized, especially if they have not been recognized for anything else in their life.

The human ego is much more prevalent and can overshadow humility in a second, once fame is involved.

For example....Charles Ramsey...That man is on every tv news outlet....From Local News to Anderson Cooper.

Did he have to be on all the press? No. He chose to be...and with that he's getting paid for these interviews...so now its not about heroism, but fame and money....

It was survival for them...I don't believe they were thinking about all the praise and glory that they were going to get.

Just like you pointed out, he said "he just fought for his life." The act that he did was heroic or brave, but it wasn't about that.

I don't believe people can be a hero without humility. Which is what they have.

In wars, you aren't just fighting to win...You're more so fighting for your life, fighting to come back home.

The primal instinct kicks in, adrenaline kicks in, and what it comes down to is what your willing to do just to get the heck outta dodge.

Johnson could have easily save himself and left behind his troop, which also shows that he is not only humble, but a selfless man..which I'm sure goes deeper then survival. He was more then likely a self less man at home.

Like butterfly#1 said, there are probably, and without a doubt, more stories like this. It's just people out here are so humble that they keep this kind of story to themselves in their heart...they don't need bragging rights or for the world to know that they are a "hero"...they just feel that they were doing what they had to do. And that was to just fight to live.

Thanks, you certainly gave me what I asked for, and more...

We definitely touch and agree on humility and humbleness as key cornerstones that keep pride from getting in the why; yup! And also, it is a matter of survival and doing what you have to do, at the moment... Nonetheless, the general public will bestow upon the individual the label hero. Seems to happen that way every time. I know of only a few ego-pride driven folk that will accept the label and called themselves heroes, very few.

Peace In,

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back