Black People : Help Save The Butterfly and Bees By Farming

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by asmith161718, Feb 7, 2012.

1. asmith161718

asmith161718 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +158
    Butterflies have been around for millions of years but in the coming decades they will be facing extinction. Do your part to help save the butterfly and maybe even make additional income yourself.

Research the type of butterflies that grow in your area, find out what type of plants that they feed on and then grow those plants around your home. Unlike agricultural farming; butterfly farming is substainable and helps the forests replenish themselves. Butterfly conservatories have need for butterfly papua/christalis and there is also a growing demand to sell live butterflies at weddings.

In North America 4 THOUSAND types of bees are disappearing!
    Some are extinct already.

This instructable suggests ways to provide solitary bees with brood space and overnight shelter in an attempt to replace some of that lost habitat.
    make blocks of cob (sand clay water and straw mixed to a gooey constituency and let dry. get various different sizes of metal rod and push them into a block of wet cob and then let it dry for a couple of days. Before it is completely dry, I take out the rods and this left holes for the bees.
    I show a couple of the blocks here.
    It worked and there are at least 4 types of bees living in the block.
    I recently discovered that solitary bees burrow inside old raspberry canes!
    So one really easy thing you can do to help the bees is to bundle up old raspberry canes and leave the bundle in a dry south facing location. I am sure the bees will find them, burrow into some and leave some bee babies to hatch out next spring.