Science and Technology : Help New Web Cam Problems!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by IntelligentNoir, Sep 17, 2007.

1. IntelligentNoir

IntelligentNoir Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +74
    So I stumbled onto a cheap web cam at my local Big Lots. The Web Cam cost me all of 15 bucks. I was a happy camper when I left the Big Lots because my dream of video blogging was closer to being realized. Uh...no not really. Why in Gods name does my Camera make my pc crash every time I try to use it with Nero or Windows Movie maker, yet works perfectly with the program that came on a disk with the camera? The thing is, while the program is nice and simple, it has a weird file extens of .slw which no site recognizes making the videos I record pointless.

Has anyone heard of.slw? Do you know of any program that may convert this file or better , have any suggestions as to how I can remedy the crashing of my pc each time I try using Nero or Windows Movie Maker with the camera?

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    which cam is it? (brand name and/or model name - model number would help id it as well.) there may be drivers for it somewhere on that disc. did the new hardware wizard come up when you first connected the camera?

no thoughts, other than my usual, as to what to do about the camera crashing windows when you use windows movie maker .. oh, well there is one other thought; windows doesn't like the cam .. might it be designed for mac? or way way old?

googled that extension and didn't find anything.

3. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    any luck??

Hotep SiS...

Any progress on da cam:?:

Looking Forward to "seeing" more of you around...
    Come in here throwing it down proper!...living up to or living out dat name...INTELLIGENTNOIR!

:hearts2:

4. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hello Intelligentnoir,

SLW sounds like a properitary file that may not be convertable to mpeg or avi (which would allow Windows media and other sources to use it).

See if the application has a feature to export the file to another format, or see if the save as feature can use a different format.

5. IntelligentNoir

United States
    Ratings:
    +74
    Thanks Everyone!!

You know, the sayings true buy cheap stuff, get cheap results. Okay maybe that's not a saying. hehe...anyways, thanks for the help, but I gave up on that stupid program. Essentially I have a eb cam I can't use. I tried using it with Nero, as well as Windows Movie Maker, but still no luck. In fact, in both instances the darn thing made my PC shut down:SuN024: Oh well, maybe In the future I'll have the chance to make vids. Thanks again!

6. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Intelligent-Noir I think that camera is not a problem, it could be the software.

7. IntelligentNoir

United States
    Ratings:
    +74
    Oh yes! I know it's the software. Its the way it's designed. It's really no good. But like I said, I tried utilizing the camera with other recording programs like Nero and Windows Movie maker and it causes my PC to completely shut down. So, unless I find compatible software, theres really nothing I can do. Thanks Again!

8. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Can you tell me what the name of the software is? I can possibly find a program that can convert the file to another format if I knew what it was.