Help me!!!!

Discussion in 'Black Teenagers - Teenz Exprezzed!' started by ethiofantasy10, Sep 13, 2004.

1. ethiofantasy10

ethiofantasy10 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey evrybody, i'm tha prez of an African American culture club at my school (Troy HS in Orange County, CA) which has been inactive for many years. I'm tryin to revive it and all, and i was hoping that yall could give me some ideas about what type of topics to introduce at the meetings and all. Also, if anyone knows of any events or associations in Cali that could be of help, please tell me. Please help a sista out!

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    :wave: Hello ethiofantasy10 :wave:

Welcome to Destee's Sister! Wow! You are the prez of an African American culture group? That is so wonderful Sis! :luvv:

I would like to suggest one thing. What I come to learn is that there are so many youths in school that are suffering from depression. perhaps you can propose an out reach program to get this loners to participate more in your group.

You can usually spot them. They are the ones standing on the side. Quiet and alone. Just let them know that they don't have to be alone and invite them to participate in school programs.

There are so many people here who will give you some great ideas!

I wish you much success and CONGRATULATION MS.Prez!!!!!
    :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Welcome again to Destee's ! Don't be a stranger! Jump right into the discussions! We would love to hear your thoughts!

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Does your school have an African American studies program? Maybe you can focus on that!

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Hey Sistah ethiofantasy10!

Let me introduce myself in case you don't know me. My name is Cedric Denson, and I am one of the 'young bucks' if you will on Destee. I just graduated with Honors from High School with a reputation as a Born Leader, so I will be able to help you out.

Sistah, when it comes to Destee and the Family made up behind Destee, you do not have to 'hope' for anything, especially when it comes to advice.

But enough with that.

You had me so happy to hear the good news about you and your school, that I started all of a sudden getting ideas out of nowhere to send you funding! Do you need funding?

Anyway, find out about the African-American cultural sites within your school's region, start posting up flyers and stuff for others to join, when you find these African-American sites, tell them about you. Not only will you be able to plan for field trips with them, you will have their support, and they will be able to work with you on your way to success. Make sure that the rest of the club understands your mission and goals. Do that to start. You just stick around here and get as much African-American support as possible, and you will be fine. We won't fail you sistah, and we would not want to see a prominent program like the one you are heading to be go unnoticed. It is that important...............especially since it is a High School! Sistah, we have you.

Cedric Denson

5. ethiofantasy10

ethiofantasy10 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank You all!!

Hey Destee and Family!! Thank you all sooo much for your support. I can't express how happy I was to hear the encouraging words from all of you. Today was the first day of Club Rush at my school where I was able to advertise for the club and it was a hit!! I'm happy to say that alot of people, for all different cultures, were interested in joining the club. I definitely followed your advice, PurpleMoons, and I reached out to alot of the incomming freshmen who were just interested in being involved in something on campus. Unfortunately, PanAfrica, there are no African American history classes at my school to refer to for the club. Thank you for all your support Cedric! Wow, I never even dreamed that I would be able to get funding for the club, but if you can help me in any way, i'd appreciate it alot. I'm searching for African-American culture sites in the area, so pray that I will be successful! But the main thing I have to focus now is on the first meeting since now that I have a group of interested ppl, i need to have a meeting that will keep them interested in the club. But thank you all for making me feel like part of tha family!! Now I have complete trust that yall will help me thru this!

6. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    OH MY GOODNESS! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: That is so wonderful!
    I am happy to hear that it was such a big turnout!

We have a culture forum here also. Its fairly new and is growing steadingly. Perhaps you can take a look inside there and get some ideas. Below is a link. Take a peek!

http://www.destee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=188

In one of the post, Brother Isaiah was talking about African American quilt making and how this craft has been lost to us for some time now. Maybe this can be one of the many projects. I'm sure you will find plenty more. All you'll need is a pattern. You can make it full of many different cultures considering that you group is diverse.

Also being that your schools African American culture club has been inactive for some time now. I'm sure they would honor your quilt for many years.

Good Luck Sister! Please keep me posted! I would love to know how things are going for you. :deal: Don't forget to look in our culture forums here. You may be quite surprize of all the information you will find.

Thank you for letting us know how Club Rush went! :luvv: :D

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I am glad to hear that things turned out well for you young Sistah! We are with you for as long as we can. I will give you my e-mail address, and we could work through funding from there. As for the quilt, I insist that you take Purple Moon's advice. Not only will that he wsomething to honor, but that is a good way to bring all cultures together. The important thing is that you get something done, and that you have fun in the process. You can pray that you will be successful, but keep up the hard work, and success will catch you off guard. As for the African-American classes, start a petition and get as many signatures as possible. I assure you that many people will be behind you on this. You will be responsible for bringing black History back to your school through a club, and you will have a lot be thankful for sistah. I will let you concentrate on your schoolwork and stuff and let you go. But please sistah, keep us here at Destee posted.

On behalf of all of us here at Destee, we are all proud of you sistah!

My e-mail address is:
    [email protected]

Keep up the hard-work!