Science and Technology : help me egore!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by PoeticManifesta, Sep 9, 2005.

1. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    hey fam i gotta problem, i installed windows xp will my mothers dell disk.. it worked perfectly until i decided to delete some things off of my hard drive. Well i deleted one of those security colders on accident.. not it asks me for the security code of authenticity... I have it on my mothers pc.. but it will not work now.. I had to prpvode it @ 1st as well... and it did work.. were on the same network.. so its not a breach of terms and agreement.. but now.. i cant access my files on xp.. ohh yea.. these programs are on 2 diff hard drives!

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    guess you'll have to find "egore" as i don't have clue one about the xp frankenstein. truly sorry that i can't help you out with this one.

(i presume you already looked in the recycle bin? heck, i'm not even sure; does xp still use the recycle bin?)

"on the same network"; as in home lan: network hub/switch, network cabling? could you just copy the folder across from mom's?

"can't access files": access to none of the files on your puter?

"breach of terms and agreement": network license? not being a windows person, i had always thought that windows licenses were per computer, rather than per home network. xp home or pro?

but, again; not a clue about xp. these questions are a lot more about my learning a little bit more than about being able to help you out. also, maybe some "generic" type stuff might help to find some sort of shortcuts? maybe ... prolly not, tho ...

3. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Get the XP disk, put it in the cdrom disk drive, and start the install sequence. It will ask you if you want to do a complete/clean install or, if you'd like to replace/repair some files or something like that. I don't remember the exact wording. Just replace those files that aren't there anymore. You do not have to do a complete install. A complete install will wipe everything off of your computer before re-installing XP. That's not advisable because it's not necessary. :D

BTW, STOP DELETING THINGS YOU DIDN'T PUT ON THE HARDDRIVE. smh :D

4. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    right! i am just so unused to the way windows does things. it's good that they make things so much easier than the brute force methods i mentioned!

5. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    thanks

ill give it a shot!