Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : help me and my hair ;)

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by Zulile, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    of all the interesting aspects in this forum, I'm starting here.. it is a pressing issue.. it's always there.. my hair ;) I am such a down to earth, natural person, I am currently in shock mode and need help.

I have always been natural. seldom wear makeup and always pure afro. Now.. it is no excuse or anything.. but I wasnt raised in a home where anyone knew what to do with an afro.. so it's always been that. plain afro. didnt love, didnt hate - just there. no wax, no gel, nothing but a metal pick with a black fist (must be almost 20 years old) to get my fro ready for the day.

My fro was always short and (realtively) neat. Just went to any barber for a trim now and then. But 4 months ago, age 36, i decided to try something new.. to grow it.. and I went to a real hair salon for the first time. I explained what I wanted to do long term..

...and they flattened the heck outta my head! I dont know WHAT do do with it. I was/am extremely upset. this lifeless stuff hanging on my forehead. I can only gel it back.. like some plastic image (admittedly, it goes well with my business suits) but really, it is not what I want.

I've been back every 2-3 weeks for a "do" - thats lasts for a couple days then I'm at a loss... but every other time I'm there they insist I need to keep it straight. In order for it to grow longer.

You need to excuse my ignorance, please, but I dont understand that logic. every time my curls reappear they flatten them out. and those already flattened, stay so.. after 6 more months can I can return to a luxurious afro, longer and taller than before or do all the dead/straight bits need to chopped off?

I've asked the salon - they are the only black salon on town, and they tell me to be patient.. at the same time every chopper there is sporting long blond/black hair.. not an afro in sight.

(i gotta add here.. this intro into black hair management has totally opened my eyes to what lengths people will go to.. for hair. I didnt know half the stuff exisited before then.. amazing.. remarkable!)

but yeah - to each their own.

I'd just really like to know if I should chop all this off now - and start afresh -or is what my hair dresser is saying is true.

thanks in advance :)

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister Zulile ... Hello and Welcome ... :wave:

Bless your sweet heart, to have embraced your own hair all the years, then take another route ... bless your heart. You were already on the right path, in my opinion, and now have strayed off course.

You say they flattened your hair, but how did they flatten it? Did they press it, or give you a perm? If it is just pressed, a good wash will take that all away, and you will be back to your beautiful coiled hair that God blessed you with. If it is a perm, you will have to cut it out, and start all over.

Yes, i think all little girls, and older women too, want long flowing hair because that is what the media (the world) tells us we must have to be beautiful. But that isn't true. All of us will not have long hair, no matter what we do ... unless we ship in some hair from china or wherever they get that stuff ... and weave it in ... but never will it be our own. We aren't all meant to have that. Just like we aren't all meant to be tall. No matter what i do, i probably won't get any taller. I can spend my life looking for schemes and scams that promise tallness, but it'll be best for me just to love my short self. Likewise, some of us have short hair, and it probably won't grow any longer than it's naturally meant to be. We have to love ourselves as we are. It's something that's been denied us way too long.

That's why i say, you were already on the right path, loving your natural self.

Hopefully you don't have to cut your hair, in order to get back on track.

Also ... it's rare that Sisters live beyond their teens, never straightening their hair, as it usually happens soon after birth. You are a beautiful exception to the rule, and it's a pleasure meeting you.

Please make yourself at home, because you are.

:heart:

Destee

3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    :lol: Oooh Sister Destee, soon after birth? :lol:

:wave:Hello and Welcome Zulile!:wave:

4. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    How does one go about doing that? Having the kid wear a doo-rag up until age three, then the hair is "trained"? :qqb006:

5. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Thank you for the warm welcome :)

Destee - after posting yesterday I realized I probably sounded like an... idiot :) I'm a successful black woman, for goodness sake! So i simply called the salon this morning and asked them what they are treating my hair with. It's a "relaxer" - they were very adamant it is not a perm. But you know what? I havent seen a curl in those straight ends for 4 months.. so I'm going to end the experiment and just chop it all off this weekend. I'm headed on vacation for 3 weeks, plenty of time to grow some fuzz before I'm back in the office. thank you for the *push*!

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister Purple ... you know i am so serious ... yes, soon after birth ... babies ... we do it to our babies ... :(

i love you! :love:

Destee

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister Spicy ... i'm so glad you asked this question ... you always give me opportunities to elaborate! :D

I hope i'm understanding your question(s) properly, as this has crossed my mind a few times.

It is true that we don't know what to do with our own coiled natural hair, especially when considering making the transition. Not a lot of hairstyles immediately come to mind, compared to the hair styles we've been conditioned to think of (long, straight, managable hair). Even right now, it's been over a year since i went natural, i still don't know what exactly to do with my hair. I'm learning, that i just gotta let it be, 'cause it's gonna do what it wants anyway! :lol: Isn't that powerful, a thing doing what it wants, no matter what! Most people can't even make that claim, but our hair can, and we kill it?! I think we are spiritually raping ourselves, by doing this. Denying ourselves and our children a most beautiful and natural example of living ... as usual ... i have disgressed a bit ... :)

Imagine how much more we'd know about doing our own natural hair, showing our daughters how to do theirs, tips and tricks ... inventions ... we would have created, had we been allowed to wallow in our own wonderfulness. Inventions, creations, made only for us! Get outta here! You know they couldn't have that! We were not allowed that privilege. So instead, we know all about straightening our hair, and what to do to "fix" our "broke" hair. This is what they've given us in the past, given to our Ancestors ... the Mothers before us ... but we can give our daughters something different ... because now we know. Our Mothers before us, let us live, survive, to this day, so we could learn and do better, than they did. That is every Mother's hope for her child, and we are blessed because of them.

So ... yes ... right off the top, the options seem limited and the prospect bleak, as it relates to wearing our natural hair. That is how they want it to look to us. If you had a slave, would you want your slave to think its own self beautiful? Would you empower them to love their selves? If you did that, they would not be slaves, they would be friends. No, there aren't a lot of things helping us love ourselves, but we can change that.

The more we wear our own hair, we'll realize, it is born trained ... just like our eyes, ears, and everything else.

Thank you Sister Spicy for lett'n me talk! :D

i love you! :love:

Destee

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister Zulile ... you sound like a very beautiful Sister, that is exceptionally blessed, as you've somehow avoided the onslaught of weapons put against us collectively (as it relates to our hair). That is a blessing, and since you're the recipient of the blessing, and you're here, that makes me blessed by it too! :love:

It's interesting they'd say a relaxer isn't a perm ... hmmm ... i thought they were exactly the same thing.

Thanks for sharing Sister, and enjoy your vacation!

Destee

9. mystic1974

mystic1974 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Chop it off girl! I'm proud of you. Those relaxers have the ph of drano. I believe those chemicals can get down into the brain.

10. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    hello Mystic :) I DID chop it al off - and loving getting back to "me". thing is, it had to be chopped very close to the scalp.. and I discovered i loved that! so for now, I'm keeping it a shortshort afro.

I plan on going acheiving the "full destee" before I'm 40 - try it on for size.. but for now I am so pleased to be rid of the cost and time one needs to dedicate to hair.