Black People : help a sista out (please respond)

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MissPoetik, May 20, 2003.

?

how do you feel about the struggle for slave reparations?

1. yes, the descendants of slaves should get compensation

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. no, i don\'t agree with reparations

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. i don\'t understand what reparations are

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. i don\'t care for the topic

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. MissPoetik

MissPoetik Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    this is for a paper that i am writing for my BUSINESS COLLEGE COMPOSITION course. i have to have some sort of primary research for a paper that i am writing on REPARATIONS. my question is...

How do you feel about blacks and the struggle for reparations?

thanks for responding and if you have any questions or ideas, let me know. also, if anyone is involved in the fight for reparations, i would like to talk to you personally... thanks again.

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    i feel that black folks should get something for the years of being treated less than human because some of those stigmas still exist in todays time i.e.(mental slavery). The thing is that with the inbreeding between black folks and every race under the sun has dilluted the true African blood stream that our ancestors had.This is just my personal opinion...if you have over 50% slave blood in you, then you should get something in a monetary fashion, otherwise you gets none.But will the united snakes ever go through the process of determining the lineage of black folks?I think not...
    peace
    khasm

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I certainly think we are due compensation for the "free" labor provided to this country by my Ancestors. Most definitely.

Miss Poetik ... this topic has been discussed in a few threads on the forum. You may want to do a search on "reparations," as the results may provide more info for your paper.

:heart:

Destee

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i agree wit destee .................

5. negotiable

negotiable New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Do blacks deserve reperations more than Jews, who where enslaved by the Egyptians? Or more than the Asians or Irish, many of whom who were treated as badly as blacks? Or Indians, whose land we live and build on today? And should reperations come primarily from African countries and tribes, since that is where black slavery originated and continued long after the Civil War? No, reperations are not fair or deserved by anyone today.

6. sundiata

sundiata Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    sista, i am a member of a reparations organization here in atlanta. this is my political family. o.k where should i start.
    well, reparations is the fastest growing movement in Black Amerikan history. i believe to some extent it has begun to fufil malcom's dictum: 'there shall be no Black / White unity until there is Black /Black unity!' there have been several reparations movements in our history. for me, the reparations movement actually began when that first afrikan in afrika said: 'hell no, but i'm not gonna let you take us into this unknown hell!' although their are several law suits going on right now, reparations is not simply about a check. it is 99.99% about how do we all indiviually heal ourselves. in recent times the movement was given added momentum after the world confrence on racism declared slavery a crime against humanity, with no statute of limitations. also with the work of deidra parleman. read: The Debt---The betrayal of the Negro---Should America Pay? and most importantly read Yurugu. visit NCROBRA's web site and Atlanta August !7th's. if you want drop me an email, and i'll give you all the information you want, and or put you in touch with all the right people

7. DreamFunk

DreamFunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    ....Yes, I do think we are intitled to reparations...but we DO NOT need to be given MONEY....because in two months we will be in the same position that we are in today...(except that we will maybe have a Starter jacket or a new sofa and big-screen TV / more debt)....

...What we need is money and resources into our horrible schools....

8. Mahogany_Brown

Mahogany_Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Miss Poetik,

Eventhough, I feel that Afrikans/Blacks in America and all over the world for that matter deserve reparations, I am a bit concerned about certain aspects of reparations. For example, what is the form of reparations that we are demanding? Is it monetary compensation, is it land, or is it something else? Personally, I have heard some of the debates on reparations, however, there seems to not be alot of unity on the question of what reparations should entail.

I am also concerned that if we do recieve reparations (in whatever form it comes in), what will be the aftermath of this? History proves that white people are very tricky/cunning people. Therefore, sometimes I think that reparations could just be another trap for us to fall into. If we are really serious about reparations, then this is not something that we should enter lightly. This is something that should be thought about extemely vigourously, and unfortunately from the statements I have heard supporting reparations it seems that all the possibilities have not be considered.

Another reason why I'm uncertain about reparations is if we do accept reparations then that would let white people off the hook. I doubt that us recieving reparations is going to stop police brutality, the unjust incarceration of our young men and women, excessive drugs in our community,lack of political respect, and other problems. Personally, I am not ready to let white people off the hook and it should be very apparent to us how the minds of white people work. They(the government/elite/white supremacy/white people) will feel that they have paid their debts to Afikan/Black people, so when we are still treated unjustly in whatever situations, they will feel that there is no need to respond to our protests.

Furthermore, the whites will feel that reparations equals the end of racism. Those are some af the reasons why I am concerned about reparations. I feel that we have to be very,very cautious in this aspect. We also need to be cautious about the people that are at the forefront of the reparations movement. We know the history of "leadership' in our community, most of the time the real leaders are not in front of the camera trying to recieve an opportunity to put their faces on television. Therefore, we need to be cautious/aware of the reparations debate and also of the "leaders" who are in the forefront of the reparations case.

P.S. One more thing, since this is a white supremacist corporation I seriously doubt that we will ever recieve reparations and if we do, it might be just to control us by shutting us up. We as a people have never been given anything without bloodshed, sweat and tears. However, if by some chance we do recieve reparations (or maybe I should say seize reparations because that is the only way we might ever get), then we will certainly need unification as a people(I know its a cliche'), and we will need to be bold and revolutionaryand certainly make sure that we are not given "Uncle Tom", undercover lovers of white supremacy, white eurpoeans painted black "leaders" because any other way will fail....Peace....

9. NADIA*BINTA

NADIA*BINTA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    i believe reparations are due, PAST DUE... where's my 40 acres & mule? if it's monetary/land then this entire country will be ours... i think we will get it, but i believe it will be a hell of a fight... and in the end we'll have to take it!

peace

p.s. i believe much, much more... just thought i'd keep it simple :)

10. afrostotle

afrostotle Well-Known Member MEMBER

My occupation is whatever I do that requires focus
    Ratings:
    +3
    Greetings Fam,

I would also have to agree that we deserve compensation for the hardship endured by our ancestors and elders, but the conflict I have is one of to what extent, and in what forms.

I feel that the word reparations is missused in this context, mainly because the term derives from repair, which implies that we should be restored to our pre-slavery condition. I feel that our compensation needs run so deep that the term reparation doesn't do us true justice. I feel that more than a check from our adoptive and definately oppressive uncle(sam that is), we need to have a redistribution of resources, as well as legitimate, yet uninfiltrated representation of the grass roots causes and concerns raised by all blacks.

Many afluent blacks say they don't need reparations , just as most whites feel we don't, and as long as the opposition has people whom they can hold out as an example of what they see as a "Black" success story, than the fight will always be uphill.

I think a bigger issue for me is the fact that reparations alone won't change the fact that we in this country are continually forced to seek relief from the ills of social injustice, from the three branches of a government which arrogantly operates according to documents which themselves were drawn with the total purpose for exclusion of not only the slaves, but us, the sons and daughters of slavery.

Good luck with your assignment, and definately.....
    Peace, Power, and Prosperity to all