The Front Porch : Hello, Im a young black man......

Discussion in 'The Front Porch' started by Bon C, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Bon C

Bon C Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    And I've written a book about my life that I would like to share with you - Hopefully it will do much more justice in introducing me to you, than a few lines here.

It details my life growing up in North London. Experiencing racism and struggling to cope with all this entails. Love and the women in my life. And lastly my ever supportive family and the effects my life choices had on them.

My book is available in ebook format and readily available if you have a iphone, itablet etc with ibook software installed - Just search under Mark Ahaneku - Light to Dark

Or

Just Google search under my name and title of the book and you will find links to alternative download sites. These will allow you to download to your kindle, tablet or laptop.

All feedback will be greatly appreciated and I hope you enjoy reading my story!

Thank you for your support

Administrator: If I have put this in the wrong section, please move to the right place thank you

2. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Welcome to the site, Bon C.:wave:

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    Welcome to Destee.com Bon C, please enjoy your stay with us.

4. Bon C

Bon C Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Welcome and much success on your book!

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    :hello: Bon C ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :wave:

Thanks for joining us and sharing!

Congratulations on your work! Wishing you much success with it!

Please make yourself right at home, because you are!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

7. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Welcome Bon C, ... Come in, pitch in and enjoy yourself
    there are many paths to read here.

8. Bon C

Bon C Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello again, I have had no feedback from you guys on my book above!!

Here are a couple of excerpts to peak your interest.

When I first started applying for a job, fresh out of school:

So I decided to compile a CV and apply for any admin jobs in the local papers. I had heard on the grapevine that a lot of my friends were taking jobs in Tesco or Sainsburys to earn some extra cash. This had proved to be back breaking work with long hours. I was not going to fall into that trap, besides I was too lazy for all that manual work. Why couldnt I work in an office in the city or West End? That surely would make mum proud.

I remember being confused when after two months Id received no response from potential employers. I couldn’t understand it as I fitted the criteria according to the adverts. Many were asking for school leavers, experience not necessary and a minimum of three GCSEs, which I had. The chip on my shoulder started to gnaw away at me. Surely I should have been offered at least one interview by now. Maybe I wasnt getting any responses due to my surname, could that be possible. Amaechi is so obviously an African name, and was printed in bold at the top of my CV. I didn’t realise it at the time, but the cynic in me had stumbled across something. I had kept a list of the employers and positions I had applied to. So, I decided to resend my CV only changing the name in print at the top. Daniel Amaechi became Daniel Richards. A random name Id picked out from some magazine. Out of the ten CVs I had re-posted, within a month six came back requesting me to attend an interview. That was six more than when I had been Daniel Amaechi.

My clubbing experiences with my best friend Chi:

The car parks would be alive with the hustle and bustle of eager clubbers. Supped up cars would litter the parking lots, the envy of all admiring eyes. The queues could stretch for miles, its length indicative of how good a night this was going to be. Our eyes would run up and down that queue on the look-out for the same thing - ladies! Girls dressed up to the 9s in tight fitting skirts and leather boots, looking for a good time. Not necessarily with us but that was all part of the game. The thrill of the chase was all we cared about. It was harmless fun on our part and made our time so much more enjoyable. The music, the atmosphere were all part and parcel, but the thrill of the chase was paramount.

Trial and error had taught us what clubs accepted black people and better still, werent that fussy about age. Even so queuing up awaiting your turn to be let in by the bouncers always caused a degree of anxiety. You never knew what mood the bouncers were in. With just a few words they could ruin your night, would they care we didnt have women with us? Just two black guys looking for some fun. One, looking like Tupacs illegitimate child and the other the short kid from Different Strokes. The tension when the bouncer looks you up and down. The relief when he calls you forward for a rub down. Hes looking for drugs and asks you to show him whats inside your wallet in doing so, exposing the fact that the only money in your wallet adds up to the entrance fee and little more. He doesnt seem to notice and waves you inside.The game begins.
    Hope that has wet your appetite: please download and write a review on the websites or here if possible.
    Thanks again

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

:wb: Bon C and Thanks ...

10. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122

:welcome:

QUESTION: As a young man, do you feel you've really lived enough life to write a memoir?