The Front Porch : Hello Everyone! I have a favor to ask.

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
Just so everyone knows, I never intended to have a ghost writer. I never meant to sound in any way that was negative, and over the past few weeks, I've been learning more and more about how that is mostly impossible. I get it. Some young white girl comes on here sounding all dewy-eyed about racial equality and how she wants to do right by her black brethren, it sounds shitty, like I want to take something. I do not. I've done research, I've read books...but books dont give you what a real conversation will.
I never wanted anyone to write any of my book for me. I just wanted to meet new people. I'm not very good at it in real life. Often outside of the internet (and inside too, trust me) I have much trouble with strangers. Brown, black, white...doesnt matter. I wont give you crap about "I dont see color" because those people arent "woke". They're blind. I see color. I can only imagine what you all are very painfully used to. As much as I would love to believe that we are all just human beings on Earth, some are wronged more than others and that has forced our differences.
I wasnt considering making friends to be labor but I get what you're saying. I figured it would be weird to just ask for friends on here, because I think we've all seen the well-meaning white friend who wants a black friend, but doesnt understand that they need to learn from and help fight certain wrongful truths of society. I do understand that, but I didnt want anyone to think I was asking for the novelty of it or anything. Because I'm not. I just wanted to understand. To be spoken to, where neither of us look down on the other. Just two people (or more) on opposite ends of society's color wheel, having an invigorating conversation.

I realize that my intro must have been off-putting and I apologize. I only had good and kind intentions. I'm not the best at introducing myself, especially when I'm the odd one out. -So I learned something at least! This feels terrifying and awful lol. Hope we can move forward in a positive direction. Thanks for speaking with me, everyone. Have a blessed day.
after you get beat up a lot by white people the tendency is to duck and cover when one comes around.....

Jil

May 28, 2019
I hear you. Heck, I got bullied and harrassed and even physically assaulted throughout my entire school career. People are cruel. Even if I'm white, I was still bullied by white people for being a "strange" white person. I tend to be paranoid and suspicious when strangers initiate conversation with me, always thinking I'm being made fun of. So I guess that's my way of saying I think I understand how you felt. Again, I'm sorry. :/

ogoun

Jun 14, 2018
We just everyday people here;

Welcome to the site Jil.
feel free to weight into anything that grabs your interest, but as the good DR. said earlier don't be surprised when you step into the proverbial because there ain't many here that duck and cover as you may have discovered so far. Some of us are down right militant, some of us are separatists, some of us are integrationists and so on and so on........just like everyday people.
We....are....not....some....exotic....creature. At least not any more than you are and we (each of us) carry the baggage of our past just as you do. Keep that in mind when the proverbial happens.

Question.
What does 'a Spanish friend' mean? Latino? Chicano? Basque? Zapatista?

CraigK

Dec 28, 2011
I hear you. Heck, I got bullied and harassed and even physically assaulted throughout my entire school career. People are cruel. Even if I'm white, I was still bullied by white people for being a "strange" white person. I tend to be paranoid and suspicious when strangers initiate conversation with me, always thinking I'm being made fun of. So I guess that's my way of saying I think I understand how you felt. Again, I'm sorry. :/
Jill, I joined this site in 2011 in an attempt to educate myself on a subject I had had minimal exposure to. I was unsure, ignorant, and I'm sure that I put my foot in my mouth more than once.
Some people on this site tend to be unfriendly to white folks, some do not, but keep an open mind. Some will abuse you, insult you, and flame you. Some will not.
I find the best way to learn about the "Black Experience" from this site is to read, think about what you've read, and keep commentary and opinions to a minimum. My eyes have been opened on more than one subject in the last eight years.
I grew up in Australia, so had no exposure to AA in my youth. I moved to America in 1972, joined the military, and met American black folk for the first time. The Vietnam war was going on, the draft was on, and the Marines were accepting recruits from the lowest class of people, both white and black. This was my introduction to Americans. Not the best.
I worked with many Black folk in my career afterwards: technicians, engineers, scientists. I got to know some good people, but Black folk are a decided minority in Utah, so I know very few these days.

CraigK

Dec 28, 2011
This bandwidth wasting worn out under the radar routine is so insulting no one even gets angry anymore especially when a Caucasian joins a Black forum to glean some type of knowledge about Black people for: Pick one.

What I'm curious about is why no visit to the nearest Black part of town and ask these questions first hand?

Probably because the response in person would be the same one we have had here: not so friendly, suspicious, annoyed or outright angry.

Al D

We become that which we repeatedly do..
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 24, 2015
Florida
africafifth.net
Occupation
Retired Business Owner
Just so everyone knows, I never intended to have a ghost writer. I never meant to sound in any way that was negative, and over the past few weeks, I've been learning more and more about how that is mostly impossible. I get it. Some young white girl comes on here sounding all dewy-eyed about racial equality and how she wants to do right by her black brethren, it sounds shitty, like I want to take something. I do not. I've done research, I've read books...but books dont give you what a real conversation will.
I never wanted anyone to write any of my book for me. I just wanted to meet new people. I'm not very good at it in real life. Often outside of the internet (and inside too, trust me) I have much trouble with strangers. Brown, black, white...doesnt matter. I wont give you crap about "I dont see color" because those people arent "woke". They're blind. I see color. I can only imagine what you all are very painfully used to. As much as I would love to believe that we are all just human beings on Earth, some are wronged more than others and that has forced our differences.
I wasnt considering making friends to be labor but I get what you're saying. I figured it would be weird to just ask for friends on here, because I think we've all seen the well-meaning white friend who wants a black friend, but doesnt understand that they need to learn from and help fight certain wrongful truths of society. I do understand that, but I didnt want anyone to think I was asking for the novelty of it or anything. Because I'm not. I just wanted to understand. To be spoken to, where neither of us look down on the other. Just two people (or more) on opposite ends of society's color wheel, having an invigorating conversation.

I realize that my intro must have been off-putting and I apologize. I only had good and kind intentions. I'm not the best at introducing myself, especially when I'm the odd one out. -So I learned something at least! This feels terrifying and awful lol. Hope we can move forward in a positive direction. Thanks for speaking with me, everyone. Have a blessed day.
To know it you have to live it.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.