The Front Porch : Hello Everyone! I have a favor to ask.

Jil

May 28, 2019
Hey there everyone! My name is Jil. I very much appreciate being accepted onto your awesome community site. I was looking all over the internet for the perfect site where I could gather info. You see, I’m an author. I’m writing a book based in the “New Adult” spectrum. It’s a superhuman fiction novel full of diverse characters and exciting plot. One particularly beloved character of mine is a young woman named Mimi. She is from Louisiana and controls the power of Electricity, to put it simply. Why I am mentioning this is because I have come to this site to find my muse- someone who can help me breathe life into this character. Mimi is the epitome of fun; she’s a technological genius, too. She is kind, loving, powerful, silly, and very beautiful. She appears to be 24 years of age like all of the other major characters, though since they are all essentially immortal, their true ages vary greatly.

I am looking for any mid-twenties Black women to help me to bring this fantastic character to life. I want to do her so much justice. I want to help create a strong, Black, female lead character in a (hopefully) upcoming novel that will be inspiring and refreshing to the world of literature. I want her to be as real as she can be. If you haven’t guessed yet, I am not Black, myself. I’ve been struggling and second-guessing myself when it comes to writing Mimi, wondering and worrying if my portrayal of her is real enough. It matters so much to me that every character in my book with a different ethnicity to mine is represented to the best of my ability. I brought this problem up to my husband, who suggested that I introduce myself to a forum or simply ask around for realism.

I am a naturally outgoing person so this hasn’t been too difficult. For example, I have a friend who is Spanish and has been coaching me on the structure of the language and how to make another one of my characters (named Ana) come to life. She has taught me a lot of cultural facts and persuasions so that I might accurately portray Ana as someone that Spanish-speaking peoples can admire and get behind. This is what I want for Mimi.

I want to thank you, anyone, for reading this and I really, truly hope to hear back from some of you. Have a blessed day, everyone!

-Jil

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
Hey there everyone! My name is Jil. I very much appreciate being accepted onto your awesome community site. I was looking all over the internet for the perfect site where I could gather info. You see, I’m an author. I’m writing a book based in the “New Adult” spectrum. It’s a superhuman fiction novel full of diverse characters and exciting plot. One particularly beloved character of mine is a young woman named Mimi. She is from Louisiana and controls the power of Electricity, to put it simply. Why I am mentioning this is because I have come to this site to find my muse- someone who can help me breathe life into this character. Mimi is the epitome of fun; she’s a technological genius, too. She is kind, loving, powerful, silly, and very beautiful. She appears to be 24 years of age like all of the other major characters, though since they are all essentially immortal, their true ages vary greatly.

I am looking for any mid-twenties Black women to help me to bring this fantastic character to life. I want to do her so much justice. I want to help create a strong, Black, female lead character in a (hopefully) upcoming novel that will be inspiring and refreshing to the world of literature. I want her to be as real as she can be. If you haven’t guessed yet, I am not Black, myself. I’ve been struggling and second-guessing myself when it comes to writing Mimi, wondering and worrying if my portrayal of her is real enough. It matters so much to me that every character in my book with a different ethnicity to mine is represented to the best of my ability. I brought this problem up to my husband, who suggested that I introduce myself to a forum or simply ask around for realism.

I am a naturally outgoing person so this hasn’t been too difficult. For example, I have a friend who is Spanish and has been coaching me on the structure of the language and how to make another one of my characters (named Ana) come to life. She has taught me a lot of cultural facts and persuasions so that I might accurately portray Ana as someone that Spanish-speaking peoples can admire and get behind. This is what I want for Mimi.

I want to thank you, anyone, for reading this and I really, truly hope to hear back from some of you. Have a blessed day, everyone!

-Jil
jeez, i feel like a lab rat....

ogoun

Jun 14, 2018
I just want to be better educated.
Getting better educated is all an a-okay round here Jil, but sniffing around looking for a ghost writer ain't gonna cut it.
You can take that as a short critique about what your intro to this site says thus far.

If you want to get 'better educated' try a cultural studies program at the local community college, but if you want to learn what you seek go live it.
And to do that you can start by contributing more to this site rather than just wanting to take something away.
Yeh yeh, I probably just hurt your feelings, but here's a little talk bout white privilege for you, spend 20 minutes or so and give a listen:

Now then Jil my question to you is, there are a plethora of great heroic Black women to read and read about both in the present and the past if you want to mine social/cultural history for your own......the deep question is to ask yourself is, what is it you seek?
Go find it, go live it.

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
If you're referring to "Storm", then I can assure you that my character is not like her. Totally different story, I promise.

We get a lot of stormfront posers in here from time to time. So, don't get put off

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Hi Jil ... Welcome ... :wave:

I do wish you well with your endeavor and hope you find the person you are looking for.

If not here, somewhere in this great big world.

There are a lot of phenomenal young black women to model your character from.

You say you have a Spanish friend that is helping with that part.

I take it you don't have any Black female friends that meet the criteria.

It's interesting. I've often thought how white people don't know us, but we know you / yall.

We would not have to petition someone to tell us how a white female might be written about.

Do you think that is an interesting phenomena?

No biggie. I'm really thinking out loud and given the responses you have already received, I won't pile on.

Is there financial compensation for this work? Or is it free slave labor you are offering?

I'm just mess'n with you Jil ... :wink: ... sort of ... :wink:

I do wish you well with the book and if not here, you will get what you need, somewhere.

You guys always do.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

ps ... I really don't mean to sound harsh. I hope you hang around and learn Black people for yourself, so you do not have to ask this question for your next best seller! ... :read:

Jil

May 28, 2019
Just so everyone knows, I never intended to have a ghost writer. I never meant to sound in any way that was negative, and over the past few weeks, I've been learning more and more about how that is mostly impossible. I get it. Some young white girl comes on here sounding all dewy-eyed about racial equality and how she wants to do right by her black brethren, it sounds shitty, like I want to take something. I do not. I've done research, I've read books...but books dont give you what a real conversation will.
I never wanted anyone to write any of my book for me. I just wanted to meet new people. I'm not very good at it in real life. Often outside of the internet (and inside too, trust me) I have much trouble with strangers. Brown, black, white...doesnt matter. I wont give you crap about "I dont see color" because those people arent "woke". They're blind. I see color. I can only imagine what you all are very painfully used to. As much as I would love to believe that we are all just human beings on Earth, some are wronged more than others and that has forced our differences.
I wasnt considering making friends to be labor but I get what you're saying. I figured it would be weird to just ask for friends on here, because I think we've all seen the well-meaning white friend who wants a black friend, but doesnt understand that they need to learn from and help fight certain wrongful truths of society. I do understand that, but I didnt want anyone to think I was asking for the novelty of it or anything. Because I'm not. I just wanted to understand. To be spoken to, where neither of us look down on the other. Just two people (or more) on opposite ends of society's color wheel, having an invigorating conversation.

I realize that my intro must have been off-putting and I apologize. I only had good and kind intentions. I'm not the best at introducing myself, especially when I'm the odd one out. -So I learned something at least! This feels terrifying and awful lol. Hope we can move forward in a positive direction. Thanks for speaking with me, everyone. Have a blessed day.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on Kemetstry's profile.
Brother Kem.. Marva Collins passed June 24, 2015
Sister Destee how have you been? It's been a while but I'm glad to be back. I see many changes so I'll browse around to get my feel of things again
sekou kasimu wrote on Destee's profile.
Jambo! I deleted a post that was a duplication. Both were deleted!!! Can you find it and repost it for me? I put a lot of work into it!
Destee wrote on shaka64's profile.
Hi Brother shaka64 ... Welcome Home! :heart:
Destee, my Sister!! I am sending you greetings with love from a rainy and relentless overcast Michigan! But you continue to bring sunshine into my life and for that I am eternally grateful! I LOVE the new look and features in the community. I hope you're enjoying your best life. Love and peace...:heart: