Pan Africanism : Hello! Everybody...

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by mkhaya lo', Nov 4, 2002.

1. mkhaya lo'

mkhaya lo' Well-Known Member MEMBER

Journalist
    Rand Park Ridge, Johannesburg, South Africa.
    Ratings:
    +6
    Firstly, I would like to say thank u for destee for giving me this oppertunity to share with u all about the in's and out's of Africa, the politics, social life, the people and basically, everything in between....

Now, to start off, let me tell u guys something strange which I"ve noticed this past week. Last weekend my boyfriend got arrested. Why? u may ask, well, because he was embroiled in a fist fight with a couple of white guys. First of all, he was drunk, which I believe might have led to the whole thing, but more than that...he felt compelled to come to the rescue of a couple of rasta's selling on the sidewalk being harrased by a group of white males. He felt an injustice and thought that he should stand up for his black brothers. I thought it was foolishness really. BUt then a few days later, nine bombs rock throught SOWETO, killing one woman while she slept and her husband is still in a critical condition in hospital.

Right wing organisations have been pinned to the explosions and to date white people openly claiming to racists, say that "it has begun" Now, while I don't think the country is in a state of panic, I think the pot is finally boiling over...So, what does my boyfriend's arrest and the bombs in SOWETO got to do with anything? Race relations basically...I don't think that all is rosy as it seems. The whole concept of a "rainbow nation" might have worked as a strategy to get us back into the international arena, but at grass roots level, things are still in serious need of change. Now I must be the first to admit that race relations in SOuth Africa have improved dramitically since the Apartheid days. Poeple making an effort to make it work have been the one's who've benefitted from the new democracy. Politicians don't make the system work, I believe, people do. And although I don't condone my boyfriend and his friends resorting to violence to resolve unsolved issues, I also don't condone, terrorism of any sort...but l personally don't think that it would be accurate to say that our situation in South Africa is unique. It isn't. I think country's like America are still very much grappling with the same issues.

People pretend a lot, kiss a lot of butt and pretend that the pot isn't boiling but now, I think South Africans have reached a point where they are ready to admit that there is still a lot of hatred lurking in the background that has been covered in a "rainbow nation" phenomena that just simply doesn't really exist...

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    well now that u have open up da doors
    let's get down to reality of life it self
    no matter where we be we still be
    reflected down on from da skin of our color.

3. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    Greetings mkhaya lo'

We look forward to your columns and hearing about events and happenings going on in the motherland. It's refreshing to hear that the race relations in South Africa have improved dramatically since Apartheid days...I know it's still a long way to go...hoping for the best.

4. mkhaya lo'

Journalist
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep, Zero, things have come a long way since the group areas act-simply put black lives on the one side and whites lives on the other....like I said its the ordinary man and woman on the street making it happen...keep reading and $$Rich$$, as always, thank u for your support...hope this coloumn grows stronger and stronger..

lo'

5. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    glad to finally see you here, sharing your view. ( ;) listen to the old lady sometimes. ) :D

i've felt it is important for you to give us your view of our country. just as you, we have distorted views of your country and other places around the world. however, through this medium, i have connected with other black folx around the world and i'm learning that your worlds aren't much different from ours.

Mkhaya, i caught just alittle of 60 minutes last night. it was a piece on SA and some people (doctors, scientists) who are trying to develop and/or plann to use biologicial weapons to destroy black people their in your country. i didn't get the name of the doctor but he was recently acquitted of these charges. in the report it was said that they were planning to laced gumsealed envelopes with anthrax, poison sugar, AIDS medications, and even hair restoral products. they were not only trying to get rid of members of ANC but black people, period.

as you may know, we have had experiments (most notably, syphilis) knowingly conducted on us. some feel that AIDS is a created illness. some feel feel the government and/or people are still doing these such things. after seeing the little bit of this report, this conspiracy to destroy the "black race", it is alittle easy to believe these other theories.

one more thing, it never crossed my mind that yall would have rastas there. :)

6. mkhaya lo'

Journalist
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Sherykah, no, the soweto are not linked to the Zimbabwe land grabs...Zimbabwe and South Africa are like the U.S and Canada-bordering neighbours but quite different. The Soweto bombings are mainly a product of a series of brainwashing that a number of extreme right wing organisation have been feeding their members that blacks are the enemy-period. I can equate them to the kukluxklan in its prime day...but the situation is calm at the moment because police are out in full force...On the issue of Zimbabwe, though, WHite farmers in Zimbabwe have for a long time provided economic stability for the country but since the land grabs, the country has really suffered. The levels of poverty are astronomical. People are starving while high powered politicians, such as robert mugabe-who, by the way recieved a 20 percent salary increase just today, continue to live in luxury...

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    :wave: Haaaaaaaaaaay Mkhaya lo' :wave:

Thank you for accepting the invitation to share Africa with us in an up close and personal way! :love:

I'm so looking forward to learning and understanding better, how my Sisters and Brothers are doing and how they really feel about African Americans, how we are perceived.

I'm looking forward to stories and pictures, meeting folk who could really be my cousin or sump'n! Is that too cool or what??!!

I have many questions. Like, do Africans view African Americans in a negative light? I've heard that but never had anyone really to substantiate it. Also, what are the prevailing religions in your area right now? Do the majority believe in ancient African religions or has Islam or Christianity (or something else) taken over? I'm especially interested in Voodoo, Voudon, ect., just because I know so little about it. I'll stop with these. Don't feel obligated to address them now. I will look forward to whenever you get a chance, perhaps creating a whole new thread on each. :wink:

Thanks again Mkhaya lo' for being willing to share with us.

:heart:

Destee

8. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    mkhaya lo,
    congrats to this joynt here...

i'll definitely be checking you out..

nfinite....

9. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    indeed it will tyme to drop a nother one lo'

10. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    greetings & welcome mkhaya

it is such a pleasure 2 hv some1 from the motherland n the house. (f there r others already here, no disrespect intended). we get such an abundance of the negative stories about drought, corruption, disease, and devastation but almost none of the uplifting, positive luv flow human interest stories of africans helping e/o that i know occur everyday.

there is no substitute 4 correspondance w some1 who has 1st hand knowledge & hopefully, sources not commonly availible to us. 4 those of us who identify w africa, or at least try 2, being able 2 run our 'absentee' evaluations & concerns about our distant relatives is an invaluable comfort. at this time, i am making preparation to visit ghana during the summer of next yr (2003). i hv been corresponding w 4 ppl on a regular basis, but only 1 of them had access 2 the web. i am hoping that this will b jus the 1st of many african sojourns.

again, welcome & thanks 4 sharing. :wave: