Black People : Hector Camacho Dead at 50

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by cherryblossom, Nov 24, 2012.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Héctor_Camacho#Death

Héctor Camacho Matías (May 24, 1962 – November 24, 2012),[1] known by his nickname"Macho Camacho", was a Puerto Rican professional boxer. He held major championships in the super featherweight, lightweight and junior lightweight divisions, going on to win lesser titles in four more weight classes, becoming the first boxer to be recognized as a septuple champion. Camacho's son, Héctor Camacho Jr., is also a boxer. During his 30-year career, Camacho was known for his quickness in the ring, and his flamboyant style

On November 20, 2012, around 7 p.m. AST, Camacho was shot once in the face while in Bayamón, Puerto Rico. Several news agencies reported that Camacho, 50, was seated in the passenger seat of a Ford Mustang when he was shot by unknown individuals from a passing car. The owner-driver of the car, friend, Adrian Mojica Moreno,[20] a childhood friend of Camacho, was killed in the attack. According to El Nuevo Herald, Camacho was taken to San Pablo Hospital in Bayamón, where he was then reported to be in critical condition.[21] Police said a chase took place and that the van from which the shots were fired was found in the area of Jardines de Cataño. There are conflicting reports, with an earlier claim that police arrested a suspect around 9 p.m. AST.[22][23] At one point, doctors announced that Camacho was expected to survive but could be paralyzed,[24] but after suffering a cardiac arrest during the night, they said his cerebral activity was very low. [25]
    The morning after the shooting, Rafael Rodríguez Mercado, rector of the Medical Sciences Campus, had confirmed to El Nuevo Día that Camacho was brain dead. "His full recovery would be a miracle, medically there is nothing more that can be done," confirmed Rodríguez Mercado.[26] However, that same afternoon, Ernesto Torres, director of the hospital, informed that there was still "minimal, although irregular and intermittent" brain activity. The next morning, Torres said Camacho was "clinically brain dead".[27] Police investigating the incident say they found nine small bags of cocaine in Mojica's possession, with a tenth bag open inside the car where Camacho was shot.[20]
    On November 23, Camacho's mother Maria Matias announced plans to have her son taken off life support on November 24, after three more of his sons arrived in Puerto Rico to be with him. He was officially declared dead that following day.[28][29]

2. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Hector Camacho, 50, Boxer Who Lived Dangerously, Dies

By BRUCE WEBER

Published: November 24, 2012

HEctor Camacho, a boxer known for his lightning-quick hands and flamboyant personality who emerged from a delinquent childhood in New York’s Spanish Harlem to become a world champion in three weight classes, died Saturday in San Juan, P.R., four days after after being shot while sitting in a parked car. He was 50....

....http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/s...50-boxer-who-lived-dangerously-dies.html?_r=0

3. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    that is a little too early for him to go. I guess when it's time, it's time. I have heard he is a great boxer. These sudden deaths that one would least suspect are creepy.

4. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Not to sound insensitive, but how many times did he die? I heard he got shot, was dead, was brain dead, now he's dead again.

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    descanse en paz mi amigo. macho surgió en la campana y era incapaz de sacudir esa elevación. Uno de mis amigos de latino fue real estrecha con él y solía ser ringside en sus peleas y colgar con él después. Incluso tiene una imagen que muestra siempre fuera de él y macho y tiene en el tocado de macho que solía llevar en el anillo.

[​IMG]

6. Thought

Thought Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    He said some horrible things about black people. It's not good to celebrate someones death but don't feel bad for him.

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Because this man did not self-identify as "Black," I purposely did NOT place this thread in the "Black sports" forum. Instead, I placed it here in the "Open Forum" just as an "FYI" type of news story.

Personally, I don't claim African-descendants who don't claim ME.

Moreover, I don't feel bad for the DEAD; but I can and will say a prayer for a grieving family, Black or White.

No matter his statements about Black people, he was still somebody's child.