Black Christians : Heaven is real, says neurosurgeon who claims to have visited the afterlife

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... What are your thoughts?

Heaven is real, says neurosurgeon who claims to have visited the afterlife

[​IMG]

Dr. Eben Alexander has taught at Harvard Medical School and has earned a strong reputation as a neurosurgeon. And while Alexander says he's long called himself a Christian, he never held deeply religious beliefs or a pronounced faith in the afterlife.
    But after a week in a coma during the fall of 2008, during which his neocortex ceased to function, Alexander claims he experienced a life-changing visit to the afterlife, specifically heaven.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...rgeon-claims-visited-afterlife-213527063.html

The whole story here: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...a-doctor-s-experience-with-the-afterlife.html

Peace In,

2. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +877
    Amen, thank you for sharing Brother Clyde! This quote really stands out:

This scripture comes to mind:

Acts 2:17
    “‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

Blessings:heart:

3. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    I was reading on this matter today. My heart skipped a bit hoping that finally we might have evidence (albeit not significant) of an after life. But upon further scrutiny, the usual feeling of disappointment crept in. It took less than a minute to find the flaw in his evidence. You know where it is: he met in a blue-eye woman in heaven over white clouds. I'm not saying that because I'm black but because this is every white men fantasy (an Asian man fantasy will be different). I don't doubt that he had a vivid vision but equating this to actually being in a heaven is pushing it a bit far. This is merely what happens when your brain becomes deprived of oxygen. The person enters a state of ecstasy and his brain uses his memories and emotions to construct a virtual reality that is pleasant and feel very real. The same effect (positive as well as negative) can be produced using some drugs.

Funny thing, like most agnostic and atheists, I actually want to be proven wrong but sadly fairy tales are just that fairy tales.

I know this a christian forum; I'm not trying to crash your party here just that i read this story too today ( I wish the story was posted somewhere else more neutral) and you guys won't hear of me any more again in this thread.

:)

4. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,127

sigh

The difference here is that his entire frontal cortex shut down, which is where the "hallucinations" tend to come from. He was dead! This vision didnt come from him, which is why it's getting so much play

5. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    If you want to discuss the matter maybe open another thread in a more neutral forum. I think people here want to see this as something to reinforce their faith and not something to be analyzed. So it would be inappropriate of me to monopolize the discussion here. I have obviously an answer for your remark though.

6. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,127

It reenfirces faith because the science says so. My comments stand

7. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    I believe his experience was just as real as all the others ive read. Nearly all of them report leaving the body, moving through a tunnel, seeing a bright light and meeting dead loved ones. The all seem to differ after that. Most people see the prophets of their faiths i.e Krishna, Buddah Jesus some even report seeing ETs or unrecognizable beings. I think that part of the NDE has to do with an INDIVIDUALS core beliefs whether they are conscious or subconsciously holding these beliefs. Some people dont meet any diety at all, some people just hear the light talking and others report just flying above the world or hanging out in the most beautiful of flowered fields. I dont think this is proof of "Heaven" per se' because heaven or hell is whatever your your subconscious makes it. I think that all these NDEs prove that our consciousness lives on without the body and their is life after death. Since no one has stuck around in death long enough to actually report from the other side we'll only experience it first hand when we all cross over I guess. Really I believe its just another dimension one of the 11 that scientist suspects there are and that mysticism has always known about.

8. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    This fool was just dreaming lol white folks and their madness never cease to impress some of you here. What worse some you are even misquoting scriptures on this fool. What does God' spirit have to do with this moron, he will probably start a new religion with his twisted mind. This fool is currently in heaven but he will soon find out what hell on earth is.

9. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +877
    In my opinion, when anyone, black or white, old or young, rich or poor shares a 'spiritual experience', the least we could do is respect it and at the same time, understand it as his experience, revelation, testimony...this is now part of this man's story--it happened and it's as simple as that.

Adding to the study piece, I'm thankful for visions and dreams, my experiences have solidified the faith I stand on..and maybe this man's experience has done the same for him. It's quite a blessing to stand firmly on something that no unkind word or action can knock you from. For me, I know without a doubt what I was born to do and who I'm doing it for...heaven is as real to me as this keyboard I'm typing on.

Blessings:heart:

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Well said Proverbs31Woman, well said indeed...

Peace In,