HEALTH INFORMATION ON GLUTEN

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by KWABENA, Feb 2, 2007.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Gluten-Intolerance: Celiac’s Disease​

Celiac’s Disease, also known as gluten intolerance, is medically defined as: “an inborn error of metabolism characterized by the inability to hydrolyze peptides contained in gluten. The disease affects adults and young children, who suffer from abdominal distention, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle wasting, and extreme lethargy. A characteristic sign is a pale, foul smelling stool that floats on water because of its high fat content. There may be a secondary lactose intolerance, and it may become necessary to eliminate all milk products from the diet.” SOURCE: Mosby’s Medical Dictionary (1990), 3rd edition, pg. 219

Millions of Americans unknowingly suffer from gluten intolerance (Celiac’s disease) based upon dietary ignorance and unconsciousness.

Gluten is the sticky, insoluble protein constituent of wheat and other grains which is obtained from flour by washing out the starch and is used as an adhesive agent, giving to dough its tough, elastic character. Mosby’s ibid.

Right there in the medical literature supra we are told that gluten is used as an “adhesive” agent. Adhesive means “sticking.” What comes to mind when you think of a sticking agent or that which is used to stick or hold things together that is of a thick, liquid nature? Does not glue come to your mind? Well, glue is derived from gluten. In fact, the word “gluten” is a Latin word meaning “glue.”

Consuming glue is a part of the Standard American Diet (SAD) these days, another great detriment stemming from the process of processing (refining) food.

To refine means to polish or to make better. What is the statement we are making by saying we humans must polish up or make better what God has created for us as food? Surely man (humanity) is in grave error here! Trying to improve upon what God/Nature has created is clearly deleterious and insalubrious.

Refined grains make an effective adhesive. I remember when I was in elementary school how we used to make piggy banks from balloons, newspaper, egg cartons, and white flour. We’d blow up a balloon, tape four egg carton parts to the balloon as the legs and one for the nose (snout), and then dip newspaper in a bowl of water and white flour and layer the balloon. Overnight the newspaper would dry up and harden and it was the white flour that made the newspaper harden. I never put things together as a little boy growing up in South Los Angeles and existing off a so-called ghetto diet, a/k/a soul food.

It never dawned on me that my beloved mother was ignorantly making a glue or adhesion dish when she was making gravy. My father loved rice and gravy. Gravy for the most part was a byproduct and side dish from cooking dead, slaughtered animal flesh or cadaver, euphemistically called “meat.”

After my mother would cook (fry) ****-ken, oops, my bad, I mean, “chicken,” or pork (pork chops), she’d add some refined white flour to the skillet bubbling with oil and stir in the flour with the oil and add a little water.

Looking back on this now, no wonder we (my family) were so constipated growing up. We had adhesion (glue) in our intestines. That’s why we ate so much but very seldom used the bathroom (defecating). It all makes sense when you become health conscious. Our dry and hardened stools were glued to the walls of our intestines. This was and is true for anybody who eats gravy in particular and the Standard American Diet in general. The Black folk’s version of SAD is called Soul Food. I’ll admit, the food may taste good, but it **** sure will get you in tune with your Soul quick, fast, and in a hurry. Soul food will take you out. It’s the worst dietary cuisine and form of cultural food in the United States, ranking slightly above the Mexican-American cultural diet cuisine.

In fact, soul food is a concocted ethnic cuisine. Its origins are rooted in American slavery. It behooves me how African Americans purport to be free today and actually think they are free today, but still, in their so-called freedom, eat like slaves or what their ancestors ate while enslaved. Why would so-called free people eat the diet of their oppressed and enslaved ancestors? Much less, why would they embrace and glorify such diet?

Would it make sense for a woman who was imprisoned against her will by a rapist and brute for a few months or a year and who was only fed pig feet, biscuits, and Kool-Aid, to eventually get free, and once free, when given a choice of what to eat, orders and eat what she was fed during her torment-laced imprisonment? If that now freed woman went to a restaurant and ordered pig feet, biscuits, and a glass of Kool-Aid despite the menu having a plethora of dishes to choose from (or if even pig feet, biscuits, and Kool-Aid were not on the menu), would we not say she was still psychologically and mentally imprisoned?

All I can deduce is, if you eat like a slave or what a slave ate (especially when you have choice and free will on the scene), then you are a slave as you clearly UNCONSCIOUSLY think like a slave. You are what you think, even unconsciously.

Today, most Americans are enslaved to the American food industry (cartel). They are voluntarily enslaved due to addiction (food additives that manipulate taste). You have to add chemicals to refined foods (so-called foods). There’s no other way around it. Refining removes a host of important constituents (nutrients).

Clearly grains are a highly processed so-called food on the market today and eaten by a lot of people. Many grains naturally contain starch, but the unnatural processing of the grain converts the starch into gluten, which is basically glue, an adhesive!

When a person has an intolerance to gluten, it means they have eaten too much of it to the point where the body now rebels to save the person’s life. This is the purpose of allergies! Allergies are sensors, warning lights. When you eat too much of a detrimental thing, your body will make you become allergic to the thing; but when you are an unconscious eater, when you eat what the body can no longer tolerate, your system (body) acts up. Then you go run to your butcher (doctor) and he/she prescribes you a pharmaceutical drug (another poison to the body, just like the gluten) to placate the allergic sensor (reaction) so that you can go back and foolishly continue to engage in the thing (so-called food) which your body can no longer tolerate.

It’s amazing how many people are allergic to natural foods but not junk food. I know people who tell me and told me that they were allergic to bananas, herbs, vegetables, etc., but they were not allergic to anything processed or refined. I never met a person who was allergic to pizza (pussa, from cow pus – cheese), hamburgers, bacon (pig booty), Gin, Vodka, donuts, cakes, potato chips, etc. Amazing! They are allergic to what God/nature created, but not allergic to the concoctions of man! Mind boggling to me!

No, the natural food triggered a cleansing effect that the ignorant person thought was making them sick. The natural food was stimulating a healing crisis. This is why the person began to sneeze, eyes water, cough, or have their skin break out in a rash or bumps or something. All of these things are a part of the body’s natural healing crisis mechanism for purposes of elimination.

Okay, what should a Celiac’s sufferer do to heal from the disease? Clearly and intelligently, the Celiac’s sufferer should abstain from consuming refined grains and if need be, grains, period!

Gluten-containing grains and products include: Wheat, Rye, Barley, Oats, Sweet rice, Triticale, Kamut (Egyptian wheat); pasta and falafel. Wheat (including whole wheat) is the highest gluten-containing grain on the market. Variations of wheat include Graham (i.e. Graham ********), Semolina, Farina (cream of wheat), and noodles (Cup of Noodles/Top Ramen), etc.

Before completely doing away with all grains, the person should first try eating gluten-free whole grains such as: Amaranth, Buckwheat, Quinoa, Teff, Millet, Fendo, Injra (Ethipian Teff); Tapiaca, Rice (brown and/or wild), and/or Corn. Make sure that corn is non-GMO (genetically modified).

Soy flour could be added to the list above but I’m not an advocate of soy-based products. Soy products are highly suspect (though I’d choose soy over meat any day, personally).

However, if you notice adverse reactions (i.e. skin eruptions, itchy skin, foul smelling, floating stools, etc.) from eating the non-gluten containing grains, 86 (terminate) them immediately!

Most of your non-gluten grains are high in starch so if you are attempting to avoid starch then you need to abstain from eating these non-gluten containing grains supra which are high in starch content.

Tapiaca is “cassava” and is rich in starch. While starch may not be an adhesive like gluten, it most certainly is a STIFFENER, which is why dry cleaners use it to stiffen your clothes. And you wonder why stiffness is prevalent today amongst Americans.

In addition, starch converts into harmful CARBONIC ACID once inside the body. Carbonic acid can even penetrate cement! Now what does this tell you?

And for the people out there who love to eat pasta, pasta is not only gluten-containing (unless it is made from vegetables), but is outright PASTE! That’s what pasta is! The letter “e” on the word “paste” was substituted for the letter “a” so paste become pasta. The American food cartel is very clever.

I know a lot of women/females who LOVE to eat pasta. Most of them are African-American. You’d think they were Italian due to their love of pasta and how much they eat it. Pasta is no good for the colon. It causes constipation. Ninety percent of Americans are constipated. Ninety percent of American females are constipated. Some sources say ninety-five percent are constipated. Whatever the statistics may be, pasta is constipating, so beware!

Also, many impoverished inner city Black people, many of whom are unknowingly suffering from gluten intolerance (Celiac’s disease), eat a lot of cheap pasta (Top Ramen, Cup of Noodles) and not to mention, refined grains (Wonder bread, Webber’s). This is not quality food (for anybody, regardless of race or class)! In fact, it’s really not food at all! You may think you are saving money by eating cheap but you are not. What you don’t spend on quality and nutritious food you will undoubtedly spend on drugs (pharmaceutical drugs) and medical/doctor and hospital bills – guaranteed! Take it from the Ma’at-Ra, you cannot eat cheap and expect to have optimal health. It just doesn’t work like that!

In order to be healthy you must eat, live, and think healthy. There are no shortcuts to optimal health.

For those individuals who have little babies and children experiencing severe cases of eczema, remove all grains from your child’s diet. I’m noticing a lot of African American babies and children developing eczema early off and this is from diet, poor diet. Many parents unwisely feed infants and babies grain cereal which they think fill the baby up and helps them to sleep. Well, cereal will undoubtedly knock the baby out (as the baby sleeps to avoid stomach pain), but at the expense of colic and other digestive complaints and a newborn child doesn’t deserve this. A child should not be given grains for the first two years of life because grains are too hard on a newborn’s and young child’s digestive tract.

Rice (brown and wild) and corn are the best options as far as wheat or grain alternatives go.

Thank you for reading!

This article is compliments of Dherbs.Com and Djehuty Ma’at-Ra, the People’s Herbalist.

You can hear Djehuty Ma’at-Ra live every Thursday night at 5 p.m. PST/8 p.m. EST co-hosting Holistic Perspective with Khaazra MaaRanu on www.holisticperspective.net

Additional articles by Djehuty Ma’at-Ra can be viewed on www.Dherbs.Com

2. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks for this information.

I recently had a discussion with my ex and tried to explain to her why I dont eat WHEAT very often, and have had to restrict my intake of whole grain bread and cereal because of its high glycemic index. As a result I am trying to break myself from eating sandwiches, a long staple of my diet from years of being an educator.

My problem here is I didnt see any reference in the article to OATMEAL, which is said to be beneficial in lowering cholesterol levels, but which to me tastes like "paste", with a similar effect.

According to my blood type, I am not supposed to do well with CORN so it seems this leaves me with only brown rice as the SOLE source of grain. But what about GRITS, which are made from corn?

Brother Kwabena, you seem to always post this kind of information on the same days I regress by eating fried chicken or fish! And, to make matters worse (yeah, Popeyes again!) I had mashed potatoes with GRAVY. *smh*

Speaking of killers.....I am cutting intake of chuken and fish....problem with FRIED food for THREE reasons.....high fat content from the oil...high glycemic index from the batter....toxic carcinogins from the frying process....

Coming from a "Creole" background I tend to cook a lot of seafood Southern style, including gumbo. The difference is I NEVER use a "rue" because it is FLUOR and I do not keep the following in my pantry.....flour, of any kind.....sugar, of any kind (even though I have cane syrup and Splenda or Equal)....or white rice.

Im just wondering do I need to throw out the grits and oatmeal...(after reading this I may toss that whole-wheat bread in the morning, along with the corn tortillas).....

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Well actually - to be honest with you, I would think twice before getting rid of the Oatmeal. I think one of the toughest things with Oatmeal, is all of the Sugar content that comes with it, unless you go to an Organic/Natural Food Store to get it.

On the other hand, I shouldn't be talking...(I owe you a confession)

Earlier today, I tempted myself into eating a Peanut Butter Chocolate-covered PASTE-ry. I also had some yellow rice, which I am fighting to put an end to. I think the Sugar I used to eat went to war w/ me when I said I would try to put an end to eating so much Sugar. I was also tempting myself to get a Turkey/Tuna Sub (yes, I too have a craving for Sandwiches every now and then), however, that didn't get the best of me. At the college, they put out Cantalope and Honeydew, but not enough - then to know that it is surrounded by food that I should not even be eating...

I want to carry my fruit, nuts, and seeds everywhere; maybe I should try that. However, at the same time, I need to practice 'Balance/Portion Control,' which is becoming a very hard lesson coming from an appetite like mine.

KD

4. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks again for sharing brother Kwabena.

I think I will hold onto the Oatmeal and then go the organic route next time.

Let me now ask. Considering what the article stated, do you eat any of the following: soy nuts or seeds; cereal or energy bars; pinto, red black or kidney beans.

This weekend I am doing a "flush" using and "Organic Triple Fiber" blend of flaxseed, oat bran and acacia. Only 1 gram fat and 5 carbs per serving, all fiber, no sugar, except I have to use low cal apple or cranberry juice. I can use water with this but the nutritionist recommended using juice and cranberry aids the digestion while serving as a diuretic.

The oats in this product are "gluten-free".

An interesting thing about the article is years ago I had developed a bad acid-reflux problem, which has improved and no longer requiring medication. I was prescribed meds but weaned myself from them and took papyrus enzyme instead. I also used to break out in a rash when eating grapes or raisins. Too acidic for my high alkaline system. After increasing dosage of non-flush niacin, for diabetes, I am now able to eat grapes and raisins, in small doses, without breaking out. So, sometimes I risk eating oatmeal and raisin cookies, or cereal bars, which are low in fat and carb content. This was worked to lower my blodd sugar levels, when I stick too it.

Im just not sure about that CORN, and I can eat peanut butter, trying to introduce almond butter instead for lower fat content, but cant eat peanut butter with chocolate. Shoots my glycemic index.

So, do you know of a form of chocolate that is NOT made with eggs, butter, etc.?

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Well I do eat Sunflower Seeds (which are much better for Sistahs than us) and flax, but none of the others. The Cafeteria on Campus habitually over-cooks the Veggies, so I can not see them as too beneficial; they take better care of the meat, than they do fruit/veggies. Good for me - I am bombarded w/ Fresh Markets/Health Food Stores between the SW and SE sides of the city. This is when my [expensive] Pecans, Almonds, and such come in.

I would not know by name sepcifically, but I have passed products w/o eggs, butter, and all the rest of the "stuff." When I find out the specific name(s), I will ensure that you know.

KD

6. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

Thanks again brother Kwabena...this is helpful.

But let me ask agiain, what about BEANS?

Im getting on-trak with the flax and almonds, but still not sure about only two things, as far as my system is concerned, beans and corn, (both of which are staples of the "mexican" diet).

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    To my Knowledge, Beans are only good when heated up. The only Beans that they 'heat up' in the School's Cafeteria are canned Beans, not Kidney Beans or others, so I do not eat them. We are not allowed to have stoves or crock pots in Our Dorms, so I would have no way of preparing them. For that reason, I do not eat them. They do, however, prepare Corn - then again CANNED Corn, and they over-cook the Corn-on-the-Cob. The Beans, especially Kidney are VERY beneficial; I just have no way of preparing them. To me, [Kidney] Beans are the "cooked" version of say 'cashews and almonds.'

8. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

Thanks again brother. I found the Natural Foods Market today that a friend recommended and one of the Nutritionists answered some questions for me in regards to bean and corn. Ironically, I met a woman who has this particular disease and she was quite helpful.

It has been advised that I do without corn as a staple, and I figured as much and the beans are a source of protein and fiber. This leads me to ask a final question.

Brother Kwabena, what is your source of protein?

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    To be honest with you, I am right now consuming Fish and Turkey every week or two as far as protein goes. Furthermore, I do consume alot of rice, but it is Yellow Rice, because that is all, besides White Rice, that the Cafeteria heats up. Somethimes, they serve Brown Rice, but they serve it with cut-up Baked Chicken in it, especially because of the fact that the other students Love it that way - much like how other students Love the Okra FRIED, RATHER THAN BOILED.

I am stuck between "tolerating" the school's Cafeteria food, and doing my own Grocery shopping. When I am able to make a final decision, my Protein diet will be much, much healthier.

KD