Food Discussion : Health Conscious Recipes...

Discussion in 'Food Discussion and Recipes' started by Isaiah, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    African people, I am reading these recipes, and they're making me hungrier than hell!!!(smile!) But peops, are these recipes HEALTHY!!!

As African people, we love to eat, eat, eat, and that's why we're in such terrible physical shape... I am not talking about the external either... I am talking about our high incidence of obesity, of diabetes, or heart problems, of whatever.... Y'all feelin' me, that we need to emphasize those fruits and vegetable recipes, as fruit and vegetables are LIVING foods, and tend toward the strengthening of the human body... Macaroni and Cheese is a dish I love, but macaroni nor cheese are LIVING foods... Fried Chicken and Chittlin's aint living food... If it is in your cupboard it can't be alive, feel me, peops??? The exception to that would be beans and grains, like rice, but most everything else???

Believe it or not, Soul Food is actually wonderful as long as it is seasoned properly, and is not accompanied by some of our favorites, like the animal flesh... Collard Greens and CAbbage and Lima Beans and Kidney beans and RICE we can eat until hell freezes over, and they wont hurt'cha... That good smellin', good tastin' pan of Candy Yams, however??? Yeah, I know I'm being a spoil sport writting this, but I am concerned about DIABETES in our community, man... That disease took both my parents, and damned near half my friends parents... It's all in the diet - and in our favorite recipes...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Well why dont some of the family step up and post recipes. Brother you can post recipes as well. We welcome all kinds of recipes, but if you want something..healthy recipes, you should bring some to the table. Thanks. I am trying to get this forum popular, i have posted some recipes, and a couple of them are light recipes, not all fried and stuff. Pull out your cookbook and post and maybe we can get some healthy recipes, i cant do it all on my own.

3. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    Brother Isaiah,

We thank you for sharing your comments. The choice is yours family you know your body better then we do. Some need to gain weight some need to loose. We sharing it all. If you dieting do your thing. If you not do your thing. The choice is yours!

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

Sister Nisa, you are doing a great job of providing us with some great and healthy recipes - and the forum is already one of the more popular forums at Destee's... No insult or criticism was intended... You don't have a problem with African people eating healthy, or in moderation of some of the things we eat on a regular basis, do you???

As per my providing recipes, I probably wont do that as that is not how I cook my meals... I cook and eat based on what I feel I want to eat, and what my budget can buy me(smile!) I am consistent about eating vegetables, beans, grains, and greens at every meal - every single meal!

African people are actually blessed with a great variety of foods that we already eat, such as I mentioned... Our problem is frying... Our problem is eating our foods in improper combinations... During Christmas, my family had on our plates, at one time - macaroni&cheese, candy yams, potato salad, and rice! Ah, no need to tell anyone that that was too much starch... That was my point in creating this thread...

I will try to put together some veggie recipes for the forum, however...

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. Nisa

Ratings:
    +31
    No I dont have a problem at all, I'm just saying..bring some healthy recipes to the plate. I just try to provide a variety of recipes.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I love the variety of recipes Sister Nisa has provided! :toast:

As someone who never learned how to cook the "soul food" recipes ... or any kinda recipes for that matter ... it's so nice to see some ol' classics listed in here! For example, i've never made a red velvet cake, but i shole dun heard a lot about 'em! I don't believe i've even ever ate a piece of one ... i'm not a big cake person ... but i shole dun heard a lot about 'em! I think it is oh so very awesome that it is listed here. Or the "Smothered Chicken and Gravy" recipe ... whew Lawd ... just knowing there's a place to go and get these recipes and give 'em a try.

My former Mother In Law is an absolute great cook, but as she has grown older, she's in her 80's now ... she has adjusted the way she cooks for her and her husband, from years gone by. She has made small changes in her ingredients, in order to cater more to their current dietary needs. It's a major difference in the taste (and healthiness?) of the same foods, by simply changing one ingredient for another, or omitting one or two that bring levels she's not interested in experiencing any longer.

All of this to say ... i think Sister Nisa is doing a great job, almost single-handedly, in sharing these recipes with the Family. No one has to cook these things, and everyone is welcome to add their own recipes ... and even adjust these as they see fit. Brother Isaiah, i am looking forward to your veggie recipes!

This forum is going to be no different than all other areas of our house. It will be representative of our diversity. Just as the discussions display our diverse opinions. Fortunately for us, there will be a little something for everyone, no matter what kind of diet you have.

I am loving this forum!

Sister Nisa Mae ... i aint neva made chicken and dress'n ... and do we have a potato salad recipe yet? I went to a Family cookout once, and it was my job to bring da 'tata salad ... well ... everyone fussed at me and told me to NEVER bring no 'tata salad to their house again! Far as the dress'n goes, i aint neva made that in my life, and well ... it's one of those old Family classics that i'd like to cook one of these days ... seems like a right of passage i missed or sump'n.

So anyway ... keep up the great work Sister Nisa ... i'm loving it!

:heart:

Destee

7. Nisa

Ratings:
    +31
    I have 2 great recipes..for potato salad
    and dressing. i can make some dressing..sho nuff...

8. yaphet al-wynn

yaphet al-wynn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Okay, Nisa I'll bite
    1.Strawberry tart-(1)get keebler's graham ******* crust tart sized pan(comes about 6 to a pack)-(2)frozen sliced strawberries(usually are sweetened), frozen whole strawberries(which usually are not) and maybe a few real strawberries if you are adventurous. (3)Microwave in a bowl(still in the container) the frozen sliced strawberries and a few(maybe 3-4) frozen whole strawberries(out the bag) for about 5minutes or less(depending on wattage, covering everything with a paper towel) and maybe 2 real strawberries to the side.(4) Put out about 2 graham ******* pans to the side. (5)After microwaving, if you have 2 real strawberries put each in both pans. Then pour the juice out the sliced frozen strawberry container for glaze and a few microwaved or thawed sliced strawberries then put in the whole frozen strawberries that are thawed, pour juice again from the thawed sliced frozen strawberry container, carefully not overfilling the pan(s). (6)Top everything with either a fat free, low fat or real whipped cream or topping and you are on your way.
    Could theoretically work on a whole pie!!!!!