Black Christians : Healing from afflictions and sickness

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by NyneElementz, Dec 13, 2012.

1. NyneElementz

NyneElementz Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    Last night in bible study, my pastor brought up a few things about healing that I had never thought of. He talked about the differences between afflictions and sickness. The scripture he used was James 5:13-15. I'm quoting the NLT.

"Are any among you suffering? They should keep praying about it. And those who have reason to be thankful should continually sing praises to the Lord.

Are any among you sick? They should call for the elders of the church and have them pray over them, annointing them with oil in the name of the Lord.

And their prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make them well. And anyone who has committed sins will be forgiven."

The word affliction refers to emotional and stressful mental suffering. This is where most of our issues really lie, especially in terms of relationships. Healing for these is a continual process for many, and lots of us get off the healing track and get ourselves into something else that piles on more affliction. We should pray anytime our mind brings us back to those issues that weigh us down. Not doing so can taint our praise.

The word sickness deals with physical issues, like diseases and infirmities. When your body is sick, that sickness tends to affect the mind adversely, which can cause your prayers to become twisted. Some sickness is spiritual, and you cannot heal from these on your own.

My afflictions were mostly relationships that didn't last. I love hard, but it had often been unreturned. It has even been true in my marriage. Now with divorce in my future, I'm praying daily for healing and realize that I need time to heal from the effects of all the relationships I've been in.

I don't want to become bitter and unable to love the one God has chosen for me, nor do I want to be too fearful to love. I gotta take my time, heal, let go of my fears, let go of others' opinions, let go of the pain I've suffered, and let God heal me.

Anyone else care to share anything about this?

2. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
  3. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +879
    Thanks NyneElementz for opening this thread and sharing your story.

Another angle to the road of afflictions is when the Lord afflicts His people. This is a hard one for us to swallow, leading us to many thoughts on how a loving Father could allow his child to suffer. But as parents, we grow in understanding of this challenge.

Often times, prosperity taints us with high thinking of ourselves, and affliction is God's way of cleansing or shall I say a good scour (that's how it feels!). Afflictions allow us to grow in wisdom, holiness, humility and develop our fruits of the spirit, and it prevents us from getting puffed up. There also may be lessons we need to learn, and after failed attempts, the pressure gets tighter so we come to the end of ourselves with a clearer vision.

These are visuals I keep when going through the valley:

My conscious has no rest, but my body is not rebuked.
    I may be cut short but not cut off from His grace and mercy.
    I may have to walk in deep waters, but I will not drown.
    My iniquities deserve a life sentence, but I am given mercy everyday.

And the ultimate goodness I see is that through it all, I can still feel his presence, Psalm 91--he has not deserted me! And eventually, I-we come to a place to give thanks in everything.

The scriptures that come to mind are Hebrews 12:10, I Corinthians 10:13, Song of Solomon 8:3, I Thess 5:18.

Many Blessings:heart:

4. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Proverbs 31 I love your avatar:)

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    As to the connection between "afflictions" and "sickness," I've heard it preached that "disease" often comes from "dis-EASE."

So, if we don't seek God through prayer for our "afflictions," they can lead to physical and spiritual "sickness."

I will pray for your healing and peace rebuking any afflictions or sickness you may be going through.

Philippians 4:
    [6] Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
    [7] And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Rom. 15:
    [13] Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

2 Tim. 1:
    [7] For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    2 Cor. 4:

[8] We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
    [9] Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;

Users found this page by searching for:

1. difference between sickness and affliction

2. is sickness an affliction

3. difference between infirmity and disease

4. bible succeeded difference sick and sickness