Black People : having more white friends

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by intolerant, Dec 26, 2011.

1. intolerant

intolerant Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    do you or anyone you know have more white friends than ppl of your own race (blk)? if so, what do you think about it? does it mean you are a sell out or wat? me for example have a lotta blk friends but my cousin have a lot of white friends and no matter how she try 2 be down with blk ppl she don't seem 2 get along better wit white ppl and she has more white friends than her own race. i told her that she acts white and dat is why she has more white friends. i wasnt tryna be mean but i was jus tryna help and she took it as a insult. so i wonder wat you yall think.

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    If your cousin lives around or attends school with mostly white people this would be expected.

3. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I live and work around exclusively Caucasians.
    No problems. I'm not mistreated or anything. In fact, I'm treated quite well.

It does not, in my opinion.

This is cultural more so than racial which will include mannerisms, dress, speech, beliefs, etc.

I wouldn't say she is "acting white". Again, it is cultural.
    Its been awhile, but I have been accused of "acting white" because of my diction, manners of speech, as well as the music I may listen to.

If one is around African-Americans of a particular culture, one has to "do as the Romans do" if you will.

On the flip side, I have a fair amount of educated family members. They are Nubian. No problems.

4. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    What, exactly, did you mean when you told her that she "acts white"? Does she talk with the twang that Richard Pryor used when he picked on/imitated white people? Does she dance like Carlton on "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air"? What, specifically, does she do that constitute her "acting white"????

5. novek

novek Active Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +36
    Plz tell you are NOT an adult. This is one way to keep another black person down by making them think they are not black enough.

Gee, I get along with American Indians quiet well, guess i'm a sellout black man.

6. intolerant

intolerant Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    more like carlton. and plus she act 2 timid and passive dont know how 2 speak her mind and a lot of white ppl r that way. not tryna b mean but jus bein honest. i told her many times dat she need 2 start speaking up and stop being afraid 2 say wats really on her mind and tellin ppl wat they want 2 hear jus 2 keep da peace. she took wat i said da wrong way. so i wonder if im wrong 4 sayin dat she act white. not tryna b mean but jus callin it out how i see it

7. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    IMO, you owe her an apology. I am sure your intentions were good, 'cause there is nothing wrong with urging someone to speak up and to share what's really on her mind, but to equate not doing so with "acting white" is a slap in the face. I think if you reconsidered your approach, you could advise her to defend herself without trying to discount her Blackness. All you are accomplishing is alienating her.

8. novek

Canada
    Ratings:
    +36
    Her being "passive" and "timid" has nothing to do with race.......fortunately. I know guys, I'm feeding the troll.

I think you type like a black person with your "tryna b" xyz lingo and your lack of punctuation . You see how stupid that sounds.???

9. novek

Canada
    Ratings:
    +36
    ^^ Honestly full speed, I think she should just accept her cousin for who they are and not make them live up to some warped expectation of blackness

10. blackisbeautiful

blackisbeautiful Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +77
    If your cousin is purposely excluding blacks from her friendships that could be an issue. But if she has white friends just because, I don't see a problem with that.

You can be friends with them... just don't become too enamored with their ways. No matter how nice they are to your face doesn't change their prejudice or their overall agenda.