Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Have you tried a natural hair lightner?

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by MsInterpret, Oct 8, 2011.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Apr 21, 2007
    I found this article on

Natural Hair Lightener

Written by deecoily

We all know the damage coloring can do to your hair, especially if it is a lightening method. These methods usually involve a 2 step process and harsh chemicals. The lighter you go, the harsher longer the processing time. Even henna has proven drying and damaging.
    Well there are a few things you can do to lighten your hair gradually, with minimal damage using a few natural ingredients. I have tried this myself and experienced no texture change and no damage to my previously healthy hair so I feel safe in recommending it if you would like to experiment. Understand that honey is a peroxide agent, cinnamon, cardamon and chamomile have boosting properties, so use with care.
    Note that it will not add color, it will lighten your overall color, allowing your base color to show through. Your base color could be red, yellow or in between somewhere. Do not overdo it!

• 1 Cup Raw uncooked honey
    • 2 Cups Distilled water (you can also steep with chamomile and allow to cool). Tap water may not work
    • 1 Tablespoon Ground cinnamon
    • 1 Tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
    • some Plastic Wrap
    • a Bathing Cap or Headwrap
    • Mix all the ingredients in a cup at room temperature and let it sit for at least an hour. This allows the peroxide levels to be released and it becomes more effective.
    • Use a long nose root applicator bottle, a spray bottle or a tint brush to apply it to the hair.
    • You can also try applying it only to those areas you want lightened, and wrap the other parts of your hair in plastic wrap to prevent seepage.
    • Wrap your entire head up in plastic wrap and put on the bathing cap over the top. You may need to put a towel around your neck to catch any drips.
    • It can be left for as long as you want - from an hour to the entire night.
    • To wash it out, rinse gently with warm, running water several times. If you feel any grit, you haven't washed it out thoroughly. Follow up with your normal shampoo and wash and condition as usual.
    If at any stage you experience itching or a rash or any reaction, discontinue using the treatment.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has done this.....I was thinking about it, but I do like my dark hair, but I may experiment with it in the future if I hear good things.
  2. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Mar 10, 2011
    Are you seriously thinking about doing this? Wow,'re bold. But, if you're thinking about doing it, theres no better time than now since your hair is new growth and already short. If you do...good luck!
  3. VirgoMistress

VirgoMistress Well-Known Member MEMBER

May 18, 2006
    +24 / -0
    I heard that honey, cinn, lemon and even apple cider vinegar can lighten your hair. I use honey and apple cider vinager in my hair all the time but it has not lightened my hair. I havent tried cinnamon. I think you may have to do it more than once to get effect, or maybe go out in the sun. But I will say that honey does lossen my natural curl pattern.