Black Education / Schools : Have you taken the SAT and ACT?

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Smartgurl, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Smartgurl

Smartgurl $$ PREMIUM MEMBER $$ PREMIUM MEMBER

Full-time Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    I came to my first teen chat last Friday. I really enjoyed myself and I encourage all of you to come if you can. They are every Friday night 7pm ET www.destee.com/chat . Last Friday we talked about the SAT and the ACT and what can you do to better prepare yourself. I’m 18, and I’m a sophomore in college at Washington University in St. Louis. So, I thought I could share some of my knowledge to help those of you who will soon be entering college.

Question: “Have you taken the SAT or the ACT?” If you are a senior, I hope the answer is yes. A lot of high schoolers think that the perfect time to take these aptitude tests are in their senior year. Actually, the perfect time is your junior year or even better your sophomore year. It is never too soon to get started on the path to college. These tests are not only helpful in college admission but they also help your chances of getting merit-based scholarships.

The SAT, Scholastic Assessment Test, is probably the most commonly taken test of the two. It is a three-hour test that measures verbal and mathematical reasoning skills. The ACT, American College Test, is designed to assess high school students' general educational development and their ability to complete college-level work. It covers four skill areas: English, mathematics, reading, and science. Some academic institutions take only the SAT, others take only the ACT, and others will review both. I recommend that every student take both tests. Depending on your academic strengths and weaknesses you may do better on one test than the other. For instance, I was very good in math but reading was never my strength. Since the ACT separates English and reading, I was able to show off my understanding of grammatical and language skills even though I couldn’t read that fast and therefore I had difficulties finishing the reading section. On the SAT, I did well on math section but not that well on the reading section. In the end, I got an overall better ACT score than my SAT score. You can never really know unless you take both. So please, take the time to take both.

Both the SAT and the ACT are assessments of your knowledge and understanding of overall high school curriculum. There isn’t really much studying that you have to do for these tests. You only have to practice the skills that you have already acquired. The best way to prepare for these tests is to take practice tests (most college counselors will have practice packets available at request). You can also purchase SAT and ACT preparation books; they run about $15 to $20 each. These books are helpful but not necessary. You can adequately prepare for these tests without spending any extra money. The more you take the test, the better you do. This is a true instance in which “Practice makes perfect.” This is why I advise everyone to take the SAT and the ACT in their sophomore year and every year after. Most likely, you will see a significant improvement by your senior year, when it’s time to finalize college plans.

Lastly, after all the emphasis that I have placed on the SAT and the ACT, I would like to remind you all that these tests are not the determining factors to whether you are accepted to a certain institution. They are very important, but you as a student is most important, not what you score on a test. I will also give a few links to some helpful sites. Please let this thread open the door to a great discussion. I would hate to be the only one talking when I’ve already taken the path that you are now starting on. So with all that said I will ask again…. Have you taken the SAT or the ACT?

Have a great day all,

Smartgurl :heart:

"Never settle for less than your best!"

SAT Links:
    General information - www.collegeboard.com
    Practice Questions - http://collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/prep_one/practice.html

ACT Links:
    General Information - www.act.org
    Practice Questions - http://actrs9.act.org/aap/sampletest/index.html

2. Eisha

Eisha Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +6
    Very vital and helpful information.

3. Eisha

Eisha Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am a senior right now and I took the SAT twice last year. I am planning on taking it the 11th. I haven't taken the ACT. Some of my counselors have told me that the ACT wasn't as important as the SAT, which was said that most colleges would focus on. Right now, i want to take the ACT from this information. Thank you so much, Smartgurl.
    *Edited version*

4. SwtT

SwtT Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educational/Human Resources field
    Ratings:
    +28
    my cunselors told me differnet eisha...they said the ACT is the one most focused on......i took it and got a pretty ok score

5. Smartgurl

Smartgurl $$ PREMIUM MEMBER $$ PREMIUM MEMBER

Full-time Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    In my opinion, both the SAT and the ACT are equally important when deciding which one to take. However, one may end up helping you more than the other. But you really can't tell. It's better to be safe than sorry by taking both tests, devoting the same amount of energy and importance to both.

Congrats SwtT on your ACT score. :wink:

I want to apologize for not making it to the teen chat this past Friday. I'm gonna do my best to make this Friday. And I encourage you all to come out if you can.

Peace,

Smartgurl

6. NDeep

NDeep Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a 1200 on the SAT, but what kind of a score is good on the ACT? Should I really be worried about taking the ACT also? The only reason I haven't taken it was because my school counsilors never stressed that taking was vital. Is it?

7. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    What is a good and bad score on these tests? What is the threshold of failing the test? What happens to people who do poorly? Are thier H.S. grades disregarded even if they are good and does the person get rejected from all colleges? (I aint from the states so I am curious)

MrBlak

8. daroc

daroc Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
  9. Remby

Remby Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +37
    Keep in mind young people that a written portion of the SAT has now been added so the scores will be higher. I think the written section has an additional point value of 25.

Remby
    Academic Advisor
    Purdue University

10. RamelBradley

RamelBradley Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I took mine years ago, but I think I got a 1320 SAT and a 30 ACT. You really only need the ACT in states that use it primarily over the SAT, usually these states are in the south. I know that the University of Kentucky only requires the ACT and not the SAT.